they must be talking about the case.

http://ammoman.com/762x39-military-grade-ammo

good price?

cevulirn
10-01-2013, 08:05 PM
or the bullet jacket maybe.

imanaknut
10-01-2013, 08:10 PM
I guess in today's dollars $279 plus shipping is a "good" price. Pre-obama prices were right at $200. And not too long before that they were $80, but it wasn't too much before that they were $200, but I would guess we will not see pre-obama prices for a long time, if ever since manufacturers, distributors, and points of sale can sell for these prices and people pay it, but (another "but") if you can't otherwise find ammo, it is a good price.

cootertwo
10-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Isn't it amazing, "military spec" made in Russia, boxes printed in ENGLISH?

imanaknut
10-01-2013, 08:20 PM
I was laughing about what Russian military spec really is. That is why Kalashnikov designed his famous rifle with sloppy tolerances and a chrome lined barrel.

As for magnetic, with the steel case being magnetic, I would not be surprised to see a magnet appear to stick on the bullet when in reality if you were able to see the magnetic flux lines it would really be stuck to the case, except with the bullet in the way. Second possibility is the bullet itself is lead core, steel jacket copper plated.

alismith
10-01-2013, 08:54 PM
I was laughing about what Russian military spec really is. That is why Kalashnikov designed his famous rifle with sloppy tolerances and a chrome lined barrel.

As for magnetic, with the steel case being magnetic, I would not be surprised to see a magnet appear to stick on the bullet when in reality if you were able to see the magnetic flux lines it would really be stuck to the case, except with the bullet in the way. Second possibility is the bullet itself is lead core, steel jacket copper plated.

Wouldn't a steel bullet produce tremendous wear on a barrel, or worse?

FunkyPertwee
10-01-2013, 09:22 PM

Nope. Steel core has been used by the west in previous wars, and by soviet bloc countries throughout the 20'th century.

The original 7.62x39 cartridge was called the M43:

The original Soviet M43 bullets are 123 grain boat-tail bullets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boat-tail_bullet) with a copper-plated steel jacket, a large steel core, and some lead between the core and the jacket.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62%C3%9739mm

imanaknut
10-01-2013, 11:05 PM

That is why they are copper plated or copper jacketed.

l921428x
10-02-2013, 03:19 AM
I guess in today's dollars $279 plus shipping is a "good" price. Pre-obama prices were right at $200. And not too long before that they were $80, but it wasn't too much before that they were $200, but I would guess we will not see pre-obama prices for a long time, if ever since manufacturers, distributors, and points of sale can sell for these prices and people pay it, but (another "but") if you can't otherwise find ammo, it is a good price.

I sorta know since i was late to the game. in 07 i bought 1200 rnds of chinese norinco in a wooden crate for the price that was paid for it. 75.00$

alismith
10-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Nope. Steel core has been used by the west in previous wars, and by soviet bloc countries throughout the 20'th century.

The original 7.62x39 cartridge was called the M43:

Ahhh, I misunderstood what aknut was saying. I thought he said the bullet, itself, was steel, when he was talking about the core.

Thanks for clearing that up.

El Laton Caliente
10-02-2013, 04:30 PM
The bullet is steel on most / a lot of the steel cased ammo. BUT, it is mild steel which is much softer than the alloy hardened barrels and is further coated with copper as a padding and lube. Steel does not mean armor piercing...

Schuetzenman
10-04-2013, 06:13 AM
Magnetic means the bullet will stick to a magnet. Gun ranges do this in their attempt to prevent Armor Piercing ammo from being shot on their ranges. This is not an accurate test as virtually all but Yugoslav surplus has a steel jacket if not steel cores.

ltorlo64
10-04-2013, 06:52 AM
Magnetic means the bullet will stick to a magnet. Gun ranges do this in their attempt to prevent Armor Piercing ammo from being shot on their ranges. This is not an accurate test as virtually all but Yugoslav surplus has a steel jacket if not steel cores.

The NRA Range in Fairfax, VA doesn't do the magnet test. They take a single bullet and cut it in half. If the bullet is steel cored it is very visible, and it is not allowed to be used on the range. If the bullet has a steel case it is usable on the range. This means I can use my Greek ammo and shoot my M1 there even though the bullet attracts a magnet.

Schuetzenman
10-04-2013, 06:40 PM
The NRA Range in Fairfax, VA doesn't do the magnet test. They take a single bullet and cut it in half. If the bullet is steel cored it is very visible, and it is not allowed to be used on the range. If the bullet has a steel case it is usable on the range. This means I can use my Greek ammo and shoot my M1 there even though the bullet attracts a magnet.

You talking Greek 30-06 M2 ball? I've got some that is not steel jacketed. It came on 03 strippers vs. the M1 Enblocks. Sure miss that Greek when it was cheap in the spam cans on the enblocks. Should of bought a pallet of it, it was da shit!

ltorlo64
10-04-2013, 08:20 PM
You talking Greek 30-06 M2 ball? I've got some that is not steel jacketed. It came on 03 strippers vs. the M1 Enblocks. Sure miss that Greek when it was cheap in the spam cans on the enblocks. Should of bought a pallet of it, it was da shit!

I believe it is Greek. I got a couple of cans of round in enblocks from CMP when I bought my Garand. They definitely attract a magnet from the jacket, because the core is pure lead.