PDA

View Full Version : Can't Access Gunsnet!

recon
10-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Have to use a proxy server to get on here. There seems to be others also having the same issue. What's going on?

Helen Keller
10-05-2013, 11:10 PM
same here.. 2-3 days out of the week it turns to shit.

l921428x
10-06-2013, 05:25 AM
i dont seem to have a problem

ltorlo64
10-06-2013, 06:42 AM
I had that problem a few years ago when my ISP was Time-Warner. I have Cox now and there is no problems.

El Laton Caliente
10-06-2013, 08:39 AM
I haven't had trouble since the site was down. Windstream DSL, Verizon air card and ATT mobile hot spot on my phone.

recon
10-06-2013, 08:42 AM
This same thing happened a while back when a lot of us couldn't get on. They did fix the issue but now it seems it's back what ever it is.

Schuetzenman
10-06-2013, 08:44 AM
No issues for me on Comcast.

Gunreference1
10-06-2013, 09:03 AM
No issues with CenturyLink DSL.

Steve

cevulirn
10-06-2013, 09:29 AM
No issues on Charter.

FunkyPertwee
10-06-2013, 10:44 AM
I didn't ave access from the house I was living at in fall 2011 and spring 2012. It worked other places though. I bet lots of people can't get access at home and assume that we're still shut down.

O.S.O.K.
10-06-2013, 02:20 PM
It's just the side effect of the NSA tapping the site - should smooth out as they get better at it... lol

Krupski
10-06-2013, 06:37 PM
No issues with CenturyLink DSL. Steve It IS an issue for me (Verizon FIOS). And, it's not Verizon's problem. I did a traceroute and found where the link craps out. It's between Gunsnet and me. Whoever is hosting Gunsnet (i.e. the ISP) has a problem with some of their routes. I don't think it's as much a particular ISP that's failing, it's a particular BRANCH that the "bad" route serves. This means it doesn't matter if a user has Comcast or Time Warner or Verizon... it's a matter of where they live and what particular route their connection takes. I don't know how large the "blacked out area" is, but I'm sure there are a LOT of people who can't get on here as of about a month ago and if they don't know about proxy servers, they're just scratching their heads and thinking "oh well Gunsnet is down again". Not a good way to keep the site alive.......

ltorlo64
10-06-2013, 06:40 PM
It IS an issue for me (Verizon FIOS). And, it's not Verizon's problem. I did a traceroute and found where the link craps out. It's between Gunsnet and me. Whoever is hosting Gunsnet (i.e. the ISP) has a problem with some of their routes. I don't think it's as much a particular ISP that's failing, it's a particular BRANCH that the "bad" route serves. This means it doesn't matter if a user has Comcast or Time Warner or Verizon... it's a matter of where they live and what particular route their connection takes. I don't know how large the "blacked out area" is, but I'm sure there are a LOT of people who can't get on here as of about a month ago and if they don't know about proxy servers, they're just scratching their heads and thinking "oh well Gunsnet is down again". Not a good way to keep the site alive.......

I know that when I have trouble with the site I check the status on Facebook. Maybe a post there to let people know what is up?

Krupski
10-06-2013, 08:43 PM
I know that when I have trouble with the site I check the status on Facebook. Maybe a post there to let people know what is up? I don't do Facebook, so someone else will have to do it.

nitewatcherXX
10-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Have to use a proxy server to get on here. There seems to be others also having the same issue. What's going on?

your not missing much!!!

recon
10-06-2013, 09:22 PM
If Krupski says is true then they need to address this issue. So where is the owner or the computer guy that does the fixes for this site? Kind of strange.

ltorlo64
10-07-2013, 04:35 AM
If Krupski says is true then they need to address this issue. So where is the owner or the computer guy that does the fixes for this site? Kind of strange.

I think the real problem is that it is not a problem with the site, but a problem with the internet connectivity between this site and a certain geographic area. I think that is what Krupski meant. The problem here is trying to get the people that own that particular switch to acknowledge there is a problem. I believe that is where the issue was before and why it took so long to fix. The people that care (us) could not get the people who owned the switch to realize they were the problem. The people that owned the switch could get on the site so they said it was a problem with the site or with our individual computers.

gunsnetadmin
10-07-2013, 05:37 AM
I'll check it out.

l921428x
10-07-2013, 10:45 AM
had to come in through the back door today, hell right now.

gunsnetadmin
10-07-2013, 10:46 AM
son of a bitch. My bad. Try again.

gunsnetadmin
10-07-2013, 10:57 AM
My fault...

Anyway..change made..rebooted..should be good to go.

Gunreference1
10-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Alex, thank you!

Steve

recon
10-07-2013, 11:24 PM
Thanks Alex! Thank You!

gunsnetadmin
10-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Apologies...

Totally f'd up there. I have a bandaid in place just need to fix it today so it doesnt lose the change on reboot aka power failure... lol

EDIT:
Later today I'll want to bounce the server to make sure my change is permanent..so if you guys lose connectivity for 2-3 min..thats why.

Krupski
10-08-2013, 09:11 AM
I think the real problem is that it is not a problem with the site, but a problem with the internet connectivity between this site and a certain geographic area. I think that is what Krupski meant. The problem here is trying to get the people that own that particular switch to acknowledge there is a problem. I believe that is where the issue was before and why it took so long to fix. The people that care (us) could not get the people who owned the switch to realize they were the problem. The people that owned the switch could get on the site so they said it was a problem with the site or with our individual computers.

Exactly yes.

Krupski
10-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Later today I'll want to bounce the server to make sure my change is permanent..so if you guys lose connectivity for 2-3 min..thats why.

Thanks! It's nice to be able to get on again without jumping through hoops....

ltorlo64
10-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Apologies...

Totally f'd up there. I have a bandaid in place just need to fix it today so it doesnt lose the change on reboot aka power failure... lol

EDIT:

Thanks for the update and keep up the good work!