PDA

View Full Version : Never been in here before...

ready
10-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Hola mi hermanos.

I stopped by my local smoke shop the other day and picked up a Perdomo 10th Anniversary robusto after explaining to the cigar guy that I wanted something mild and about an hours worth of smoke. I really liked it but it was 9 bucks and that was one of the cheaper cigars they had in there.

My question is, is $9 bucks a lot to pay for a decent cigar or are there lower cost cigars that I could try?

Dr. Gonzo GED
10-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Hola mi hermanos.

I stopped by my local smoke shop the other day and picked up a Perdomo 10th Anniversary robusto after explaining to the cigar guy that I wanted something mild and about an hours worth of smoke. I really liked it but it was 9 bucks and that was one of the cheaper cigars they had in there.

My question is, is $9 bucks a lot to pay for a decent cigar or are there lower cost cigars that I could try?
Depending on the smoke that's fairly average for a "good" cigar.

Deals can be had though. I've gotten some great stogies in and around the $4-$5 range. The shorter style cigars can usually be found around that price. Takes a little sting off the sticker shock!

Some shops will have combo packs for a discount. Get some good deals that way.

I recommend Arturo Fuentes. They seem to always have some reasonably priced offerings and tend to be quite smooth and tasty.

Some places also sell craft cigarillos. About the size of a fat cigarette, usually less than $2 a pop. Get your craft tobacco flavor ya-yas and not have to spend a mint.

ready
10-10-2013, 04:05 PM
OK. I guess I need to invest in a humidor before I drop $200 on a box of cigars. If you order online, do they arrive fresh?

mrkalashnikov
10-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Welcome to our little hidden slice of GN, Senor Ready.

A small but convivial group of aficianados dedicated to the finer pursuits in life. Pull up a fiine Corinthian leather club chair & relax. :cigarsmoking: ;)

ready
10-10-2013, 04:15 PM
More like an old bench seat out of my suburban in the garage...lol. Thank you!

There's a shop in Vegas called Don Pablo's that rolls their own cigars that are supposed to be pretty good. I'm on my way out the door to check them out. I'll have to pick up a humidor while I'm there.

CigarGuy
10-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Prices vary greatly from state-to-state as they are one of the most taxed items.
Fortunately in Florida, we are one of the few without any excise tax on cigars. Not sure
about Nevada, other then to say many places in Vegas are way overpriced because of the tourists.
Oh, and welcome!

Dr. Gonzo GED
10-10-2013, 05:47 PM
many places in Vegas are way overpriced because of the tourists.

That was my experience. Don't buy any cigars on Freemont Street. They're mostly for window dressing AFAI can tell.

ready
10-10-2013, 07:37 PM
I stopped by a few shops today and ended up with a few Don Pablo "Coronas" that are Dominican long leaf filled and some Oliva Nicaraguan filled cigars. I also got this pretty cool humidor. It's kind of like a pelican case made for travel and you put this "cigar bar" in there and it self regulates at 70% humidity. The guy told me the wooden ones are hard to keep regulated in the desert. Either that or he just wanted to sell me the pelican case.

Where do I get distilled water for the humidor?

El Jefe
10-10-2013, 08:30 PM
I stopped by a few shops today and ended up with a few Don Pablo "Coronas" that are Dominican long leaf filled and some Oliva Nicaraguan filled cigars. I also got this pretty cool humidor. It's kind of like a pelican case made for travel and you put this "cigar bar" in there and it self regulates at 70% humidity. The guy told me the wooden ones are hard to keep regulated in the desert. Either that or he just wanted to sell me the pelican case.

Where do I get distilled water for the humidor?

If you want to store some sticks well and cheaply, build yourself a coolidor. Simply buy enough gel beads to work for the volume you have and put those and your smokes in a small/medium sized cooler. Works great for small money. :)

Oh and you can buy distilled water at walmart, ect.

ready
10-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Done. I'm officially set up for cigar smoking. Actually, I still need an ashtray but that can wait.

El Jefe
10-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Done. I'm officially set up for cigar smoking. Actually, I still need an ashtray but that can wait.

Eventually you'll want a good cutter and lighter too. ;)

ready
10-10-2013, 09:54 PM
They gave me a free cutter at the cigar shop and I've been using a zippo I've had for years. The cutter isn't anything fancy but it's sturdy and works better than the pocket knife I've been using.

CigarGuy
10-11-2013, 06:43 AM
Moisten the head of the cigar before cutting to avoid tearing....

TEN-32
10-11-2013, 06:53 AM
Great to have another Humidor participant! Sounds like a bunch of good tips so far. If you decide to stay with this hobby, definitely get a decent cutter (Xikar) and lighter (Prometheus). Check Amazon for best prices. A freebie guillotine cutter is ok in a pinch but I've found that they often tear the wrapper and result in a sloppy cut and lots of bits in your mouth. A Zippo will impart the smell and taste of lighter fluid. Go with a butane lighter or wooden matches.

I use JR for my online cigar purchases. Always been 100%.

http://www.jrcigars.com/

ready
10-11-2013, 02:43 PM
So much to learn. Like when I bought my first AK all those years ago and wandered into this forum.

Dr. Gonzo GED
10-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Most markets have distilled water by the gallon in the bottled water section. No more spendy than regular water, but useful for things where mineral or chlorine content is a no-no.

ready
10-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Yeah, it was at walmart like everything else. Right with all the other drinking water.

El Jefe
10-11-2013, 09:41 PM
They gave me a free cutter at the cigar shop and I've been using a zippo I've had for years. The cutter isn't anything fancy but it's sturdy and works better than the pocket knife I've been using.

Hmmm... you might want to rethink that Zippo. Stick matches work, so does butane.

ready
10-11-2013, 09:53 PM
That's what 10-32 said, too. I've read mixed opinions online. Some people say it tastes like lighter fluid other people can't tell the difference. I'm in the can't tell the difference camp. I've used a regular bic butane lighter, my zippo and wooden matches so far and I haven't noticed any difference.

stevelyn
10-12-2013, 03:05 AM
Welcome.

I usually order from Cigars International or Famous Smoke. For the money, it's hard to go wrong with any of the flavors of 5 Vegas, especially if you are dabbling for the first time. They range from mild (5 Vegas Gold) to full bodied (5 Vegas Trilpe "A".

ready
10-12-2013, 04:42 AM
Everything I have now is pretty mild. I'm gonna try some full bodied stuff when I'm done with these.

TEN-32
10-12-2013, 07:13 AM
We like pictures...and reviews. :boozer:

I've been smoking cigars for many years and thought I knew everything I needed to know. I learned so much here in the past year about cigars I never heard of from these guys. The way I see it the more guys we have posting here the more info we have.

silentkilla
10-12-2013, 07:20 AM
We like pictures...and reviews. :boozer:

I've been smoking cigars for many years and thought I knew everything I needed to know. I learned so much here in the past year about cigars I never heard of from these guys. The way I see it the more guys we have posting here the more info we have.

whats going on brothers? haven't got to get on for a minute because i kinda knocked my labtop off of a pipe rack were i'm working and broke the shit out of it. good times! still in this shit whole plant in anniston al. getting kind of sick and tierd of being away from my family and not getting to smoke any decent cigars and holding up my end of the bargain on what i told someone it seems 4 months ago on what i would send them and haven't been home to do it yet.... anyways how yall doin??

TEN-32
10-12-2013, 07:58 AM
Ha ha...don't work TOO hard out there bro.

silentkilla
10-12-2013, 08:16 AM
Ha ha...don't work TOO hard out there bro.

dude its been none stop bullshit out here.. the least we have worked was 72hrs. the most was 125 hrs. that week just about killed my ass. come in at six and not leave till 1 or 2 in the morning for 7 days straight will fuck you up!

mrkalashnikov
10-12-2013, 10:16 AM
dude its been none stop bullshit out here.. the least we have worked was 72hrs. the most was 125 hrs. that week just about killed my ass. come in at six and not leave till 1 or 2 in the morning for 7 days straight will fuck you up!

I'm getting tired just reading this, SK. 72-125 hrs a week? I hope you're pulling down some serious $$$ for all those man-hours.

Anyway, look @ the bright side. When you get back home you'll be able to load up on some good smoke & Booze! :cigarsmoking: :boozer:

silentkilla
10-12-2013, 10:36 AM
I'm getting tired just reading this, SK. 72-125 hrs a week? I hope you're pulling down some serious $$$ for all those man-hours.

Anyway, look @ the bright side. When you get back home you'll be able to load up on some good smoke & Booze! :cigarsmoking: :boozer:

have you ever seen a 4500 dollar pay check (after taxes) in one week? they look real good come thursday. i'm sending them home to the wife and living off my perdem. they give us 75 a day for that. i haven't had under a 2 g check since i been here. i am freaking tired though... shit

silentkilla
10-12-2013, 10:37 AM
and another thing that sucks is i'm prolly going to miss hunting season! that really sucks!!!

CigarGuy
10-12-2013, 10:42 AM
That's what 10-32 said, too. I've read mixed opinions online. Some people say it tastes like lighter fluid other people can't tell the difference. I'm in the can't tell the difference camp. I've used a regular bic butane lighter, my zippo and wooden matches so far and I haven't noticed any difference.
If you need a tie breaker, the butane torch lighters toast the end properly before lighting. Can't get that from a zippo.

CigarGuy
10-12-2013, 10:43 AM
And, howdy Killa!

silentkilla
10-12-2013, 10:47 AM
And, howdy Killa!

HOWDY!!

ready
10-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Keep working, LAGC needs his obamacare. :cigarsmoking:

I don't know why I can't post pictures anymore.

CigarGuy
10-13-2013, 10:11 AM
I have a personal boycott on any thread he posts in, but, I guess using his name in a thread isn't
the same? ;)

ready
10-13-2013, 10:57 AM
My apologies for raising your blood pressure this Sunday. Getting ready for breakfast burritos and football!

CigarGuy
10-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Just finishing my second of the day....La Aroma de Cuba EE.

El Jefe
03-30-2014, 10:52 PM
Keep working, LAGC needs his obamacare. :cigarsmoking:

I don't know why I can't post pictures anymore.

I just had to bump this post. Too bad the homo probably won't see it.

ready
03-31-2014, 03:24 PM
One of my first in the Humidor.

Waiting for the DirectTV guy to show up and hook up my satellite so I can watch the Eagles this season without going to the bar at 10am. :wootrock:

El Jefe
03-31-2014, 03:29 PM
One of my first in the Humidor.

Waiting for the DirectTV guy to show up and hook up my satellite so I can watch the Eagles this season without going to the bar at 10am. :wootrock:

Cool.

I just hate the off season. What do you think of them jettisoning Jackson?

ready
03-31-2014, 03:40 PM
Well, he didn't do shit for us last season BUT, he's a game changer. He's one of those players that if you can connect with him you're gonna win games. I'm sure in typical Philly fashion, he'll go somewhere else and THAT team will go to the Superbowl.

He wasn't our only star, though so I'm sure we'll still do well.