PDA

View Full Version : Advice please regarding setting up dies.

NewbieAKguy
10-16-2013, 02:02 AM
So, after having it sit in it's box for over a year I've finally got my Dillon 550b mounted to my workbench. Now my question/worry regarding reloading dies.

I bought Lee's carbide 4 die set for 9mm and .45ACP and RCBS small base dies for .223/5.56 and .308/7.62NATO. Since the machine came with a powder die I'm good to just use it instead of using the powder die in the Lee set (so sell them or hold on?).

But after searching the interwebs I'm not finding detailed instructions on how to mount non Dillon dies to my 550B. Is it pretty much like setting up Dillon dies or is there a bit of difference?

Thanks for the help all. I just feel a tad overwhelmed with all the details before I can finally churn out my first reloads.

l921428x
10-16-2013, 02:25 AM
shotdown61 does a good bit of reloading. maybe he can help. just sayin.

deth502
10-16-2013, 05:22 AM
read the directions that came in your lee dies set. also, if i understand what your saying, i believe the charge through dies in them are also the expanders, so use the lee.

Schuetzenman
10-16-2013, 05:53 AM
There is no magic to setting up non Dillon Dies, you set them up as if they were on a single stage press. Sizing and decapping die goes in the first spot in the tool head so that it sits over the priming station. The powder measure die slot is universal you just change out the powder funnel insert that floats up and down inside the die body under the powder measure. BTW the Dillon measure only works with well using stick powders for .30 caliber and up sized cases. For all cases under .30 cal. case mouths use Ball type Powders. The Third tool head position is for the seater die for a 3 die set or a taper crimp die if you have a 4 die set. The fourth tool head position is for the seater die.

On keeping your lee powder measure system, you might just want to keep it. I still use a Redding #3BR measure for small cases and stick powders due to the weakness of the Dillon measure. As an example; Varget powder with 5.56 cases.

NewbieAKguy
10-17-2013, 03:03 AM
read the directions that came in your lee dies set. also, if i understand what your saying, i believe the charge through dies in them are also the expanders, so use the lee.
So then would I need to somehow adapt Lee's auto powder drop to my 550B? Which would mean buying another auto powder drop.

NewbieAKguy
10-17-2013, 03:23 AM
There is no magic to setting up non Dillon Dies, you set them up as if they were on a single stage press. Sizing and decapping die goes in the first spot in the tool head so that it sits over the priming station. The powder measure die slot is universal you just change out the powder funnel insert that floats up and down inside the die body under the powder measure. BTW the Dillon measure only works with well using stick powders for .30 caliber and up sized cases. For all cases under .30 cal. case mouths use Ball type Powders. The Third tool head position is for the seater die for a 3 die set or a taper crimp die if you have a 4 die set. The fourth tool head position is for the seater die.

On keeping your lee powder measure system, you might just want to keep it. I still use a Redding #3BR measure for small cases and stick powders due to the weakness of the Dillon measure. As an example; Varget powder with 5.56 cases.
I think I'm good to go with the position of each die, my concern is/was what would be my best course of action regarding the auto powder drop stage. I don't have a lee powder measure system, just the 9mm and .45acp Lee 4-die sets (http://leeprecision.com/4-die-set-9mm-luger-carb.html, http://leeprecision.com/4-die-set-45acp-carb.html). With the Dillon 550B coming with the auto powder drop (and 1 powder die) am I still okay to just not use Lee's Powder Through Expanding Die from the kit?

Same concerns when/if I use the RCBS dies as mentioned earlier. Sorry, I don't mean to make it sound more complicated than it probably is. I guess when in doubt call tech support!

deth502
10-17-2013, 05:46 PM
So then would I need to somehow adapt Lee's auto powder drop to my 550B? Which would mean buying another auto powder drop.

then i obviously dont know what your talking about. i have no idea how the dillon powder charger is set up to work, but the flow through dies with the lee press (at least my sets of them) are also the expander stage, your not going to get the bullets in the cases without crushing them if you skip that step.

NewbieAKguy
10-17-2013, 11:11 PM
then i obviously dont know what your talking about. i have no idea how the dillon powder charger is set up to work, but the flow through dies with the lee press (at least my sets of them) are also the expander stage, your not going to get the bullets in the cases without crushing them if you skip that step.
That's cool. I appreciate the input. I'm doing some errands tomorrow and I'll put calling Dillon tech support on my to-do list to see what they say.

Schuetzenman
10-18-2013, 07:23 PM
I don't have any lee die sets like you're describing. I have RCBS, Redding and Lyman dies. The most common are the RCBS for the calibers I load. As stated you will need to neck expand the cases or bullet seating will probably crush your cases. I don't believe your lee system can be substituted for the Dillon Powder measure. As you know it works with a cam rod that is activated by the movement of the shell plate when you stroke the press handle.

abpt1
10-18-2013, 08:57 PM
What caliber are you loading are you using new or once fired brass?

shotdown61
10-18-2013, 10:13 PM
I own 3 sets of the lee dies that do have a powder through expanding die,but I dont use it sense the Dillon auto charge system set up does the expanding.
Do you have the caliber conversion kits for the dillon?It comes with the expander that goes in the Dillon expander die that you mount the powder measure to.

The Lee die is used by putting a funnel on top of the die to drop each load by hand.Very time consuming.
Dillon also makes a die for mounting the Rcbs powder dump but again more work.But if you have to use long grain powders it allows you to use the other powder drops.

Myself,I have not had a problem with these powders with the Dillon auto load.Varget,3031,etc no problem.Just make sure on 223 rounds to not pull out fast.
I know that didnt sound good :big-eye-eek:

Helen Keller
10-19-2013, 01:11 PM
unless you're using one of the auto-disc dispensers . Then it's a pretty quick process.

NewbieAKguy
10-21-2013, 01:44 AM
I don't have any lee die sets like you're describing. I have RCBS, Redding and Lyman dies. The most common are the RCBS for the calibers I load. As stated you will need to neck expand the cases or bullet seating will probably crush your cases. I don't believe your lee system can be substituted for the Dillon Powder measure. As you know it works with a cam rod that is activated by the movement of the shell plate when you stroke the press handle.
You are correct S-man, I can't use Lee's powder system with the Dillon. Yup, I did know about the cam rod.

What caliber are you loading are you using new or once fired brass?
abpt1, my concern is with the Lee pistol die sets I have; 9mm and .45ACP. I will be using once-fired (or more) brass.

I own 3 sets of the lee dies that do have a powder through expanding die,but I dont use it sense the Dillon auto charge system set up does the expanding.
Do you have the caliber conversion kits for the dillon?It comes with the expander that goes in the Dillon expander die that you mount the powder measure to.

The Lee die is used by putting a funnel on top of the die to drop each load by hand.Very time consuming.
Dillon also makes a die for mounting the Rcbs powder dump but again more work.But if you have to use long grain powders it allows you to use the other powder drops.

Myself,I have not had a problem with these powders with the Dillon auto load.Varget,3031,etc no problem.Just make sure on 223 rounds to not pull out fast.
I know that didnt sound good
I only have the 9mm caliber conversion so far. Will hopefully get more for Christmas. And, LOL.

I was able to speak with Dillon tech support that day. I spoke with Lee (how ironic right?) about using the Lee 9mm and .45ACP dies. He says the only issue will/might be that the Lee pistol dies could be too short and I'd have to put the locking ring on the underside of the die plate. And if I have to do that there is a chance that the locking ring may strike the index sprocket. Guess I'll find out once I gingerly try my first piece of brass.

As for the RCBS rifle dies I have he said I'm good to go; no issues.