PDA

View Full Version : Things to Remember in the Debt "Discussions"

ltorlo64
10-16-2013, 07:33 AM
As the budget fiasco continues, and the pressure is being ramped up (as it should be), it is important to remember how these “negotiations” have been handled by the President, Republicans, and Democrats.

Before the government shut down, Republicans in the House offered a budget that did not include funding for the Affordable Care Act (ACA). The Senate, without voting, did not even discuss this proposal. The only comments were from the President and Senator Reid saying that this proposal was not acceptable and that Republicans in the House wanted to shutdown the government.

Next, Republicans in the House proposed a budget that postponed implementation of the ACA by one year. This had already been done, at least in part, by the President when he put off implementing the Employer Mandate by a year. The President did this without consulting or working with Congress, he just changed existing law. Again, this proposal was not allowed to be debated or voted on in the Senate. The Republicans were accused of not compromising and wanting to shutdown government.

After this the Republicans in the House, since the President and Democrats in the Senate were not offering any proposals, passed various funding bills to fund specific parts of the government. This, again, was not discussed or voted on by the Senate and no counter offers were made.

After this proposal the debt ceiling was added to the issue. Because our government is spending so much more than in brings in we have to borrow money to pay our bills. That should scare everyone. Now that this has been added to the mix the President and the Democrats have said the only acceptable option is to fully fund the ACA and raise the debt limit by almost another trillion dollars. Any proposals that don’t address both are unacceptable.

After 2 weeks of nothing the Senate finally got in the game and have proposed a budget that funds the ACA, gives a break to the Unions by not having them implement the ACA for at least a year (hard to know as there are not much written on this proposal except that it exists) and raises the debt limit enough to get the country to January, where we go through this again. It also sets up a commission to determine where we can cut spending. The issue with this is we ended up with the sequester cuts because a special commission to cut spending couldn’t decide what to cut. I do not hold much hope out for doing the same thing again.

As I look back at the previous 2 months, actually longer, of “negotiations I only see one side negotiating and compromising. It is not the President and the Democrats. This word needs to continue to be pushed out. The Democrats by not acting are not negotiating or compromising. The latest proposal to put off the Unions part of the ACA is not a concession to the Republicans but to the Unions, who support the Democrats but are very unhappy with the ACA. As the various news reports continue to push this as a problem with the Republicans in the House, please keep these issues in mind. The news, Democrats and the President are certainly not.

imanaknut
10-16-2013, 08:14 AM
All my life, the government has been with democrats, what is mine is mine, what is your's is negotiable. And the republicans said "ok". We finally have a group of republicans who are standing up to this treachery but with a news media that is so one sided, it makes the republicans look like the bad guys when in fact they are only doing what the people are asking them to do, which amazingly is their job. The president is acting like a spoiled brat, and the rest of his party just bow down and say "Hosanna ".

coppertales
10-16-2013, 08:25 AM
Both of you are right on................................................ .............................chris3

recon
10-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Really sad times we live in. I'm sure the Democraps will try to use this crap in the up coming elections.

ltorlo64
10-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Really sad times we live in. I'm sure the Democraps will try to use this crap in the up coming elections.

As will the Republicans. The difference will be in how the news outlets report on it and the questions they ask. Unfortunately the questions to the Democrats will be "Why do you think the Republicans shut down government for so long?" and to Republicans they will be "How could you shut down government for so long?"

L1A1Rocker
10-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Excellent post.

Punk
10-16-2013, 03:36 PM
While I appreciate the fact that House Republicans offered up some proposals, sounds like they are going to cave here at the end. Maybe they will surprise us and grow pair at the last second and stand for something.