PDA

View Full Version : Just put some new grips on the 92.

was_peacemaker
10-16-2013, 02:02 PM
I bought this little 92 Centurion back in the winter and it had these flat thick grips on it. Well....I decided to order a set of the NATO style grips from Beretta. More slim line and thinner. Oh man what a difference in feel this makes! Friday I am picking up 100 rounds of 115 gr. FMJ's and hopefully a couple new mags and heading out to see how it handles then. It feels better and sits in my hand much better, so I am wondering if my groups can improve from something as simple as grips. Really....it feels like a whole new gun.

Whether its an AK or a semi-auto pistol. When it comes to furniture and grips I just like to keep it stock and simple. No thrills.

imanaknut
10-16-2013, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the NATO grips being slimmer than the standard Beretta grips. Heading to their site now to check them out.

I got what I thought was a good deal on a set of wood 92 grips from Beretta. Put them on the pistol and they made the already thick grip even thicker. So now I have a set of really nice wood grips wondering if I want to try to try to get them to fit closer to the frame, but probably will hold on to them until I find someone complaining that the grips on his 92 are too thin!

Could you please post a picture of your 92 with the NATO grips, or if you don't want to post the pistol, a photo of just the grips would do. THANKS!!!

was_peacemaker
10-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the NATO grips being slimmer than the standard Beretta grips. Heading to their site now to check them out.

I got what I thought was a good deal on a set of wood 92 grips from Beretta. Put them on the pistol and they made the already thick grip even thicker. So now I have a set of really nice wood grips wondering if I want to try to try to get them to fit closer to the frame, but probably will hold on to them until I find someone complaining that the grips on his 92 are too thin!

Could you please post a picture of your 92 with the NATO grips, or if you don't want to post the pistol, a photo of just the grips would do. THANKS!!!

Actually mine weren't standard Beretta grips. They were some kind of thick funky black plastic stuff they had in the 90's...on the stock Centurions. What I put on are "the stock" grips found on a factory stock 92 F/S. I hope I wasn't being misleading by saying NATO. But its the same checkered black walnut grips found on American, French, and Italian pistols. So I just call them NATO grips. I don't have a camera up and working but here is what I slapped on. And on the little Centurion they feel awesome!

http://www.berettausa.com/products/92-series-original-grips/

was_peacemaker
10-16-2013, 03:27 PM
I found this in a google search. It is what I had on there....before.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Beretta+92FS+Centurion&newwindow=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ZPZeUq_9EpWl4AP1k4GQAw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=625&dpr=1#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=1CxMNXxdqCVNYM%3A%3B9cANlEp3Ddu--M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcdn2.armslist.com%252Fsites %252Farmslist%252Fuploads%252Fposts%252F2010%252F1 1%252F09%252F67306_01_beretta_92fs_centurion_640.j pg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.armslist.com%252Fposts %252F67306%3B640%3B480

imanaknut
10-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the links. Most 92/96 series came with the thin plastic grips, but they did ship some with those very thick rubbery ones that were made by Hogue for Beretta and using their logo on them.

I would like to know why Beretta put such thick grips on an already thick frame, but Italians might have bigger hands than we Americans. ;)

was_peacemaker
10-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the links. Most 92/96 series came with the thin plastic grips, but they did ship some with those very thick rubbery ones that were made by Hogue for Beretta and using their logo on them.

I would like to know why Beretta put such thick grips on an already thick frame, but Italians might have bigger hands than we Americans. ;)

As far as parts go with the 92. Say triggers, hammers, springs, firing pins, and bolts...how does the interchangeability compare to say a 1911.

imanaknut
10-16-2013, 09:14 PM
Beretta 92s are designed so that you can have a box full of parts from a number of weapons, and pick the parts out at random, and build complete pistols without worry about fitting parts. They are like AKs in that the build tolerances are huge, but the resulting pistol is very reliable, and by design inherently accurate.

I like showing off my Franken Series 92, built from parts I collected over the years, with only a couple of parts on it from one donor. I counted about 9 donor pistols, and new parts from Beretta directly, Brownell's, CDNN, and a used slide I got off Gunbroker. It functions perfectly, and my future son-in-law, a marksman in the USAF deemed it boring after firing 15 rounds at 25 yards into the ragged center of a target. He is an amazing shot, and showed me how accurate the 92/M9 really is.
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Beretta_92FS_Franken_Inox_Rt.JPG

was_peacemaker
10-17-2013, 07:31 AM
That is awesome! To bad my little Centurion won't do that. I wonder if any of the other barrels and slides will fit it. I just found out from Beretta yesterday that a full size 92 slide will not fit. Wonder if any of the newer compact stuff would.

imanaknut
10-17-2013, 12:08 PM
The only reason the full size slide won't fit is your frame is slightly shorter than the standard frame. If you used a standard slide, there would be a gap between the front of the frame (dust cover) and the slide. I believe it would only be a looks thing and not hurt the function as that part of the dust cover is just that, a cover and not a structural part.

As for barrels, the full size will fit, it will just stick out a long way in front of the slide. Beretta barrels do not center off the opening in the slide as many semi-autos do.

Here is a great resource for the different barrel, frame, and slide types.
http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=38117

was_peacemaker
10-17-2013, 06:11 PM
The only reason the full size slide won't fit is your frame is slightly shorter than the standard frame. If you used a standard slide, there would be a gap between the front of the frame (dust cover) and the slide. I believe it would only be a looks thing and not hurt the function as that part of the dust cover is just that, a cover and not a structural part.

As for barrels, the full size will fit, it will just stick out a long way in front of the slide. Beretta barrels do not center off the opening in the slide as many semi-autos do.

Here is a great resource for the different barrel, frame, and slide types.
http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=38117

Another question...they made a .40 S&W Centurion model. Would the barrel, slide and mags fit my pistol so I could do a quick switch from 9mm to .40 S&W? Would this also work on the full size pistols like the 96 and 92 FS?

imanaknut
10-17-2013, 06:20 PM
As far as I know, you are correct. I am pretty sure the frame is the same whether 92 or 96.

Even stranger, I have a Beretta 9000S in 9mm and accidentally got a .40 mag, but found that I can successfully load it with 9mm and fire with no problems. Never tried a 96 mag with 9mm, but would not be surprised to find that would work too.

was_peacemaker
10-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Just got back from the farm. Decided to take the 92 out and try out the new grips!

And OH BOY!...What difference something like a new set of grips can make for your pistol. Had fun popping water bottles at about 15 ft. Then backed up to about 10 yards or so. I know that is not a long distance....but lets face it, most self defense situations...are at a range of 7-15 ft. But I did a lot better today than I have been doing. Next week I am going to get some more practice in.