PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Steel Cases

aliceinchains
09-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Something i was recently thinking about. If one was to reload for a steel case is it worth it in the long run.

How hard is it on the reloading dies. How does steel perform being reloaded multiple times.

sisyphus
09-22-2010, 06:13 PM
I've only tried it on 7.62 X 39 but came to the conclusion that it's only worth it if nothing else is available. As you're probably aware, steel has a lower malleability than brass and consequently tends to split at the neck after the first or second reload. That makes all the time invested in prep work (de-priming, drilling out the berdan tit and getting the flash hole straight) an almost 100% loss after the first two times.

The poly coated stuff might work better in the dies but the ones I did were lacquered as poly didn't arrive until years later. I didn't notice much diff as far as drag or resistance in the die, but I lube with that sizing wax from Midway and it's real slick. I've also done brass berdan cases, but they're still a pain to prep and you risk losing them if you shoot a semiauto. They do work smoothely in the dies though. The primer pockets are slightly larger too and you need to use some kind of sealant to hold the primers more firmly.

I'll resort to it again only as a "last resort", but it was good experience for future possibilities.

aliceinchains
09-22-2010, 06:41 PM
sisyphus , great post! You answered my question . Thank you.

deth502
09-22-2010, 07:45 PM
i concur about reloading berdan primed steel.

even disreguarding all of the other bullshit that you have to go through to prep the primer pocket, as was stated, they are often different sizes. sealent often dosent help. if a primer can be inserted by hand with no tools, it does not produce a safe load. period.

but.. i didnt post that reply before as i assumed that this post was addressing the reloading of boxer primed steel cases. on that subject, i have no input. ive never tried it, and dont plan to.

i can tell you that most 223 steel and a lot of 45 acp stell are boxer primed. ive never seen any other cals in steel with boxer besides those 2.

aliceinchains
09-23-2010, 06:42 PM
i concur about reloading berdan primed steel.

even disreguarding all of the other bullshit that you have to go through to prep the primer pocket, as was stated, they are often different sizes. sealent often dosent help. if a primer can be inserted by hand with no tools, it does not produce a safe load. period.

but.. i didnt post that reply before as i assumed that this post was addressing the reloading of boxer primed steel cases. on that subject, i have no input. ive never tried it, and dont plan to.

i can tell you that most 223 steel and a lot of 45 acp stell are boxer primed. ive never seen any other cals in steel with boxer besides those 2.

Yes deth502 i was meaning boxer primed. Sorry i should have been more specific.And thanks for your input it was very informative.And messing around with primer pockets i would have no time for.