PDA

View Full Version : Apparently they're destroying sandy hook today.

stinker
10-25-2013, 03:52 PM
This just popped up on yahoo news.
The first I've heard of it. :confused:

It's nothing but raw chopper video.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/demolition-sandy-hook-school-begins-151808799.html

I really do hate conspiracy theory BS, but something stinks badly here when you add up all the rest of the crap that's "come out" about it.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

N/A
10-25-2013, 04:11 PM
They are demolishing it in such a way that nothing will be spared that can become a souvenir. Even anything metal is to be melted down.

imanaknut
10-25-2013, 04:12 PM
They didn't demolish Columbine HS, they didn't demolish the classroom at Virginia Tech, they didn't demolish the movie theater in Aurora. Guess the fact that the majority of those murdered were 6 and 7 years old made their deaths more horrible than dead teens or adults.

But then fetus killing is ok...

With due respect to those dead, and the families that have to live with their losses, at what point do we let others get over it? Granted those directly affected never get over it, and I know that first hand, but let others continue without further assault on their thought processes.

N/A
10-25-2013, 04:14 PM
Remember the Amish school where the girls were killed. That building was completly razed by the Amish. I understand why they are doing it.

Kadmos
10-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Columbine was a fairly new school, maybe 25 years old when the shooting happened. Sandy Hook was pushing 60 if I recall correctly.

I think the age of the kids had a lot to do with it. Highschool kids and the parents of highschool kids can deal with it much better than younger kids and the parents of younger kids

imanaknut
10-25-2013, 04:37 PM
Columbine was a fairly new school, maybe 25 years old when the shooting happened. Sandy Hook was pushing 60 if I recall correctly.

I think the age of the kids had a lot to do with it. Highschool kids and the parents of highschool kids can deal with it much better than younger kids and the parents of younger kids

Makes sense.

Richard Simmons
10-25-2013, 05:24 PM
They didn't demolish Columbine HS, they didn't demolish the classroom at Virginia Tech, they didn't demolish the movie theater in Aurora. Guess the fact that the majority of those murdered were 6 and 7 years old made their deaths more horrible than dead teens or adults.

But then fetus killing is ok...

With due respect to those dead, and the families that have to live with their losses, at what point do we let others get over it? Granted those directly affected never get over it, and I know that first hand, but let others continue without further assault on their thought processes.

Actually it was proposed that the entire building at VA Tech be demolished and rebuilt but someone had enough sense to put a stop to it. It is being or has been remodeled but is no longer used for classrooms. I remember the McDonalds massacre in San Ysidro where Huberty killed all those folks. Was actually on I-5 right after the shooting and got caught in the traffic backup. Any way they demoed the site and made a makeshift memorial or something then the city wanted to turn it into a park or official memorial. Don't know if they ever did or not?

Kadmos
10-25-2013, 06:01 PM
It is kind of odd the more I think on it, there is no real "rule of thumb" on these things.

I remember growing up and hearing about suicide bombers in Israel, they would bomb an outside market, and the next day it was open for business. It was thumbing their nose at these guys saying "You aren't going to change what we do, you won't stop us from living our lives".

And I thought that was great.

But other times it's like the place has a lingering sadness or wrongness that won't go away and it seems best to knock it down and start over or make a memorial or something.

I think one of the differences between this and the VA tech was at VA it was mostly just one building and some open space (if I recall correctly). Obviously you can't knock down the whole school like at Sandy hook, so it becomes kind of odd to just knock down part of it.

I don't think there is a set right or wrong way, you just pick one and hope it helps

BISHOP
10-25-2013, 07:05 PM
What are they going to do in Mass? That 14yr old stabbed that female teacher in the school and then dumpped her body in the woods...

THAT school is so new that they haven't even had an opening ceremony.

BISHOP

FunkyPertwee
10-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Because public schools are governed at different levels of government, with elementary school usually being run by the local gov, the response in each situation is going to be different.

Focused Gunfire
10-25-2013, 08:05 PM
It’s stupid when you think about it. It was a well built cold war era building, likely updated many times since, and the incident did not damage the structure. Also, it only took place in a small section of the building. The funds, I think came from the state level, but only the locals got to vote on what to do with it. Sounds like someone connected is getting an early Christmas bonus.

I am surprised no one mentioned this yet but on top of the massive security on the site, they also supposedly made the workers sign a NDA too.