PDA

View Full Version : Rogers & Spencer prototype. with pics..

Hedning
09-22-2010, 02:04 AM
I now have the most unusual original Rogers & Spencer in my hands. It has several improvements compared to the standard R&S. The frame has been flattened to fit a better rear sight. Front sight is better too. The cylinder is fluted, the hammer configuration is totally different. The grip is narrowed down towards a Remington 1858 kind of grip. The real strange thing is that it does not have the standard leaf hammer spring. It has a spiral spring. And the only markings left on it is the B`s Bannermann put on them, and 3 mysterious digits on the right side of the frame. 45, 35 and 210. The screw that retains the loading lever is also an improvement on this one.

The cylinder chambers has been made sligthly bigger. A 457 ball is to small. I 460 ball is a minimum. The barrel however is a standard R&S. To make things work properly the forcing cone is wider than normal.

The suggestion of some people is, among them the late C.W Slage, that this is a prototype. However, I would like to find some more data on this old iron. Anyone ever heard of "civilian" R&S? Any documentation, pictures of variations or rebuilds would be great. Reference to books...whatever...

Here is a couple of pics it.... serial number is 43xx

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/6397/22092010899.jpg
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/6215/22092010900.jpg

AKTexas
09-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Now that is something new to me.Cool pics!

Gunreference1
09-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Hedning, the Rogers & Spencer revolver is documented in Flayderman's Guide To Antique American Firearms by Norm Flayderman. There are two listing, the "Standard Model' made for the U.S. Government. This is listed as item 7A-085 in the book. There were 5,000 of these made. The second listing is the civilian version. Listed as item 7A-086 in the same book. The only difference is the civilian version doesn't have the government proof stampings. There were about 800 of these made. Hope this helps!

Steve

Hedning
09-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Steve... you allways help me out. I better look you up and buy you a beer or something.... Atleast that tells me its not a prototype. To bad actually, as I would like to use it in the Colt class. I dont know if that is possible the way it is now. If the work was done in the 1800`s, maybe.

HDR
09-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Steve,
Over the years I have grown used to your skills; but there are still times I stand in awe..

My compliments.

gewehr44
09-23-2010, 01:16 AM
Steve's bookshelf must be impressive!

Hedning
09-23-2010, 02:54 AM
Does any of you have any idea wheter it would be possible to use this in the Colt (original percussion revolver) class? If the changes is made before 1900 it shouldnt be a problem, but how the hell could I prove that? If it could be documented that this is an old percussion revovler rebuild for target purpose it might work. They where target shooters back then too. Any suggestions here??

Thanks guys...

awp101
09-24-2010, 10:16 PM
Steve,
Over the years I have grown used to your skills; but there are still times I stand in awe..

My compliments.
+1!:thumbsup:

Steve's bookshelf must be impressive!
And I'd love an hour alone in that library...:coffee:

Hedning, I've posted this on another forum I frequent where the members have a penchant for Old West firearms. Maybe they can shed some light on it.

Any idea how long it's been in Norway? The work strikes me as being from the 50's-60's but I'm by no means an expert on the R&S revolvers. Hell, I don't even qualify as an RKI on them....:bigsmilebounce:

awp101
09-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Hedning, here's what's come up so far:

A 1940s-1950s era shooter modification of an original gun. They weren't shy about doing that then, collectibility wasn't great, and they would try anything. The chamber modification reasoning MIGHT be due to local laws (in Europe), available bullet mold (cheaper to modify the revolver with tools at hand than to make a new mold), or some theory on improved accuracy (an obvious goal as evidenced by the sights) using a slight squeeze-bore set-up. The mystery is who did this where.

Hedning
09-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Thanks AWP101.... Its been in Norway for just a week. Rumor has it that this revolver was mentioned in a book. And I know that S.W. Slage had it in his collection a while back. Besides that I know nada. Thank you for spreading the "question".....

O.S.O.K.
09-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Very cool revovler regardless.

I have to say that my first impression upon seeing the pictures was the same - that it'd been modified some time this past century - at least the front sight and the mainspring had - because of the type of sight and spring used.

I am by no means any kind of expert on this but I have seen quite a few different revolvers of this type and the target blades of the period were nothing like the one that this sports and coil springs are definately a much later development.