PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Maduro Robusto and Kirkland Small Batch

TEN-32
11-13-2013, 07:03 PM
I received a bag of bandless smokes a few weeks back. This is the first I've tried. I truly have no idea what they are. They are from a friend that knows cigars and that has given me "My Fathers" and "RASS" and others in the past. I'm eager with anticipation. I don't know if he is pulling a fast one or what. The bourbon is the Costco house brand. 103*, 7 year age statement. Its a full liter and cost $20. Word is that it is produced for Costco by Jim Beam. I'm taking it neat in a nosing glass with coffee on the side. My initial impression is sweet, brown sugar, oak, spice. Its not rough at all for 103*. Now let me fire up this smoke. back in a few...
http://imageshack.us/a/img46/92/1w8r.jpg

CigarGuy
11-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Just pulled up a chair on the back porch myself, Matt. Sweatshirt and jeans tonight, as it's in the 50's!
Just got back from the range. Wifey not home so fired up a Diesel corona and a pour of RittenhouseBIB rye.
Think these go so well together.

TEN-32
11-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Just pulled up a chair on the back porch myself, Matt. Sweatshirt and jeans tonight, as it's in the 50's!
Just got back from the range. Wifey not home so fired up a Diesel corona and a pour of RittenhouseBIB rye.
Think these go so well together.
A tip of my glass to you, Stan. Cheers. Oh its 35* here. 50 by the weekend though.

CigarGuy
11-13-2013, 08:10 PM
<looking down as to not make eye contact>. Back in the 80s this weekend.....

TEN-32
11-13-2013, 08:21 PM
<looking down as to not make eye contact>. Back in the 80s this weekend.....

Ha Ha Ha...all good. I dislike heat and humidity. My Celtic blood is comfortable at anything between 40 and 70.

vit
11-13-2013, 08:29 PM
Too bad I can't do cigars anymore - it's how I got back into smoking cigarettes last time I quit.

TEN-32
11-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Oh I don't know Vit, I detest cigarettes but I love a good cigar. I smoked Winstons as a kid but quit in my early 20s. To me cigarettes are just a nicotine delivery mechanism. Cigars are a little of that, but soooo much more and without all the shitty chemicals.

mrkalashnikov
11-14-2013, 08:33 AM
Haven't been smoking any tobaccy for the last week or so. Been fighting the cruds, AKA bronchitis. A little over a week ago I was sanding the legs on an antique workbench that came with my house when I bought it. Lot of dry rotted wood, coated w/ gawd-knows-what, probably coal oil, lead paint, & mold. Like a dumbass I wasn't wearing a mask when I started...my shop was filled w/ a fine dry brown powder & I inhaled some I guess. I put a mask on but the damge was already done...all the next day my lungs were burning like I'd been mustard-gassed...uggghh. A week later & I'm still feeling the effects. :(

TEN-32
11-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Haven't been smoking any tobaccy for the last week or so. Been fighting the cruds, AKA bronchitis. A little over a week ago I was sanding the legs on an antique workbench that came with my house when I bought it. Lot of dry rotted wood, coated w/ gawd-knows-what, probably coal oil, lead paint, & mold. Like a dumbass I wasn't wearing a mask when I started...my shop was filled w/ a fine dry brown powder & I inhaled some I guess. I put a mask on but the damge was already done...all the next day my lungs were burning like I'd been mustard-gassed...uggghh. A week later & I'm still feeling the effects. :(

Thats horrible. Hope you feel better for the holiday!

CigarGuy
11-14-2013, 10:46 AM
Sheesh, indeed! We NEED you smokin' and drinkin' again!

mrkalashnikov
11-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Thanx, this is the suckage. Starting to feel better as of today though, don't plan on doing any old wood sanding projects for a while. :crazy:

El Jefe
11-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Thanx, this is the suckage. Starting to feel better as of today though, don't plan on doing any old wood sanding projects for a while. :crazy:

Damn, dude, you basically weaponized all the crud and funk on that old bench. Mold in your lungs is no joke, be careful.

mrkalashnikov
11-15-2013, 07:51 AM
Damn, dude, you basically weaponized all the crud and funk on that old bench. Mold in your lungs is no joke, be careful.

"Weaponized" is the word. After 35 years of rehabbing old buildings & furniture you would think I would know better.

Saw the doc late yesterday & he wrote me a script for prednisone to open up my corroded airways. Gotta get back soon to inhaling some of that good pollution we know as fine stogie smoke. ;)

El Jefe
11-15-2013, 10:23 AM
"Weaponized" is the word. After 35 years of rehabbing old buildings & furniture you would think I would know better.

Saw the doc late yesterday & he wrote me a script for prednisone to open up my corroded airways. Gotta get back soon to inhaling some of that good pollution we know as fine stogie smoke. ;)

Prednisone?!? Damn, next it'll be flomax, then coumadin, then the home! :help::yeah:

CigarGuy
11-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Ok. Freakin' 80 degrees on the back porch before this front comes through.
Sippin some Stagg Jr, a 67.2%, proofed down to around 60 ABV. Smokin'
the new San Cris Revelation. Rex had an event at Tampa Humidor last Thursday night
that all me mates from out of town went to and picked up a box.

El Jefe
11-26-2013, 08:59 PM
Ok. Freakin' 80 degrees on the back porch before this front comes through.
Sippin some Stagg Jr, a 67.2%, proofed down to around 60 ABV. Smokin'
the new San Cris Revelation. Rex had an event at Tampa Humidor last Thursday night
that all me mates from out of town went to and picked up a box.

You just don't do subtle do ya? :holy-sheep:

TEN-32
11-27-2013, 06:36 AM

:lool::lool::lool:

CigarGuy
11-27-2013, 10:24 AM

<blushing> It's too obvious, isn't it? Had a chaser of hot sauce, if that matters.......;)

El Jefe
11-27-2013, 12:08 PM
<blushing> It's too obvious, isn't it? Had a chaser of hot sauce, if that matters.......;)

I believe it. I'm just waiting for you to start sharing cocktail recipes than have ingredients such as battery acid and drano. :dammit:

Lets see, I've bought exactly one jug of hooch in that proof range. Its a bottle of Bookers thats 128.6 proof. First time I drank this stuff it numbed my mouth to the point I couldn't taste my cigar! :mad:

I've noticed a lot of the reviewers advocating higher proof whiskeys, but personally, anything much over 90 proof and the flavors of the grain and wood start to get obliterated by the ethyl alcohol.

CigarGuy
11-28-2013, 10:35 AM
You need to proof it down with some water till you hit your sweet spot. I seem to prefer
50-60 ABV.