PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good Sweet Potato Pie recipe for Thanksgiving...

Partisan1983
11-19-2013, 05:41 PM
Please help.

The wife and I host Thanksgiving dinner for both our families and this year I wanted a new dish.

I loved it as a kid and since it is a Southern dish, I was hoping you guys would be able to help.

I have been going through many recipes online and they are all over the place.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Schuetzenman
11-19-2013, 07:56 PM
Well we like to keep it simple. What we do is simply boil them, mash them with a mix master, mix in butter, some cinnamon to taste and serve. Mashed Sweet Potato with Cinnamon spicing. No candy syrup stuff to make them unhealthy. Very tasty and until my future wife introduced me to the concept I'd never heard of it before. My Mother did the candy syrup sweet potato chunks thing for T-Giving dinner. I much prefer this simple treatment of mashing them up with butter (or margarine) and some cinnamon for spicing.

davepool
11-19-2013, 09:12 PM
My wife uses a red garnet yam, not as stringy in texture as a sweet potato, and betty crockers pumpkin pie recipe for the spices and prep.

coppertales
11-19-2013, 09:18 PM
and prepare to do alot of reading. As posted above, the red yams are the best followed by sweet pototos from Louisana.........chris3

Schuetzenman
11-19-2013, 10:24 PM
Crap missed the Pie word part. Disregard my post then.

TakeFive
11-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Try a recipe called "Sweet Potatoes Anna". I found it in Bon Apetit magazine many years ago. It is not a dessert, but a side main course dish with sliced sweet potatoes, butter and grated parmesan. Raves everytime I make it

Dr. Gonzo GED
11-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Try a recipe called "Sweet Potatoes Anna". I found it in Bon Apetit magazine many years ago. It is not a dessert, but a side main course dish with sliced sweet potatoes, butter and grated parmesan. Raves everytime I make it

Raves? Sounds like some seriously bomb 'tatos!

http://cdn.doandroidsdance.com/assets/2013/01/rave-lights.jpg

A popular junk-foody option in my family was to throw marshmallows on top towards the end of your cook. For the desert style dishes it makes a nice layer of sweet stuff on top. The flavor is a good compliment for the yams too.

Partisan1983
11-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Thanks guys :)