PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting fixed sights ?

ready
07-17-2010, 02:04 PM
I'm trying to determine if the adjustments I had to make on my sights today are shooter error or normal adjustments. I shoot well, I always qualify expert and I know that being a righty, I do occasionally pull rounds left of POA, especially on a 100 degree day like today.

I shot 5 round groups from a bench using a sandbag as a rest and consistantly shot an inch or so to the left at 15yds. The groups were tight with most rounds touching which makes me think it's not me but I'm not one to blame the gun either so I figured I'd get a second opinion from you guys.

I started with the sights as close to perfect center as I could eyeball them and ended up moving the rear slightly to the right and the front slightly to the left. Are these adjustments normal for fixed sights or should I be able to put fixed sights on, center them and be able to shoot POA? I haven't put enough sights on guns to know what's a normal adjustment and what's compensating for shooter error.

O.S.O.K.
07-17-2010, 02:32 PM
What are you shooting? That is, what kind of gun? Handgun? Rifle? What?

If you are talking handgun, then yes, this sounds normal to me - I'm a right handed shooter too and most tend to pull the shots a little left, so figuring that under stress you will definately do this, it is a good idea to adjust the sights to put your rounds back to center.

ready
07-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Yeah, it's a handgun. Today it was my H&K USP. When I left I was dead on so I'm going to take it out again tomorrow just to make sure shooting on a different day doesn't change my POI. I'll also bring some different ammo, too.

swampdragon
07-18-2010, 12:41 AM
Fixed sights are always a challenge.
Expect differences when using different ammo too.

ready
07-18-2010, 01:08 AM
Yeah, I should probably try it with my carry ammo. 45ACP Gold Dot isn't cheap, though... We'll see what happens, tomorrow.