PDA

View Full Version : A Letter for Your Congress People

ltorlo64
12-01-2013, 08:30 AM
I just posted the below on Facebook. I know that most of you know how to contact your Senators and Representatives, but just in case I left the instructions I put on FB. Hopefully enough will join me in this that is will make a difference.

I just sent the following letter to both my senators, Senator Cantwell and Senator Murray, and to Representative Rodgers (Washington 5th District). It will not do much though, if I am the only person to send this letter. I ask that if any of you feel the same way that you either personalize this letter and send it to your Congress Persons or add a note that you just received this from a friend in the military and you agree with it. To find your Congress People you can do a Google search for the Senators for you state and go right to their websites and send an e-mail. For Representatives, this web site (http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/) goes to the House of Representatives. You put in your Zip Code and it will tell you the Representative for your district. Thanks for your help with this.

“Remove the Restrictions faced by Military Personnel Owning Personal Firearms

As a member of the military with almost 30 years of active duty time, I find it hard to believe that I and my fellow sailors, soldiers, airmen, and marines are prevented from having firearms on base. We have taken an oath to “uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States” and the Second Amendment is an integral part of the Constitution. Current rules regarding having firearms on military installations invalidate the Second Amendment for any person in the military and causes each member to be placed in unreasonable danger. In the next few paragraphs I will explain how.

The restriction on having personal firearms on base does not prevent violence, as has been seen time and again. If someone is willing to use a gun for a criminal act then making it illegal to have a gun on base is not going to stop the criminal. The Navy Yard shooter is only the latest person to demonstrate this. Not only did he drive past multiple signs that told him that taking a gun onto a military installation was illegal, he hid the gun in a bag to ensure it was not seen until he was ready to perpetrate the evil he had planned.

It turns out that the only people who do not bring their guns on base are the ones who are following the rules. This turns the law-abiding, rule-following people into unarmed targets. There is an argument that we should allow the police to defend us. There is a competing argument though that is summed up in the saying, “when seconds count, police are only minutes away.” A madman with a gun can wreak an unbelievable amount of havoc in the just a minute and a sane person with evil intent can cause even more. The less time available to them the better off everyone is. Because of this we need to provide rule following people the ability to defend themselves as they are the ones on scene immediately when criminals decide to attack. And under the current rules their only means of protection is begging for their lives.

I have highlighted the safety aspect of disarming law abiding, rule following military members but there is also the issue of convenience. Most military members live near or on a military installation. For those that do not live on the base, taking a gun with them, for example to go hunting or to the shooting range means they cannot stop by the local installation on the way there or home. They cannot go to the Post Exchange, the commissary, or get gas. Also, if they have a concealed carry permit they must be unarmed each time they leave their house unless they are positive they will not need to stop at the military installation or, as one of my friends has had to do, be left outside the gate while his wife got what they needed.

The last area that is related to convenience is transferring. Putting firearms into our household goods shipments when executing orders requiring a move is possible, but it is also very difficult. To accomplish this requires disassembling the firearm to ensure it is not operable. In some cases, especially with older styled firearms, this is beyond the skill of the average person and requires a gunsmith. If the person decides to carry the firearms in their vehicles they are now unable to use any military facilities while they transfer. Since moving companies will not accept ammunition and you can’t bring ammunition on a military installation under the same rules, those of us who own firearms are prevented from using military facilities while transferring. Besides the services already mentioned above, gas, exchange, and commissary, this also means we cannot stay at military lodging facilities while transferring. This causes a substantial increase in lodging expense, especially at the start of the transfer when you live in a hotel after your house has been packed and you are not yet checked out of your command and at the end when you are looking for a house or waiting for your household goods to arrive.

I ask that you introduce a bill that would allow military members to bring their personal firearms on base. For example, require military members and retirees who find they need to bring a firearm on base to have it locked in their vehicle. If staying in military lodging, allow firearms if they have a trigger lock or are in a safe. I, further, ask that if a military member has a concealed carry permit that is accepted in the state they are in that the military be required to honor that permit and allow the member to carry their firearm.

I know there will be some contention with this request, but it is the right thing to do. Especially for those who are giving their lives to defend this country, the Constitution, and the freedoms the Constitution identifies and protects.”