PDA

View Full Version : Our Perception ...

printerman
09-23-2010, 08:04 AM
There are those who would shape our thoughts and perceptions about people places and things and perhaps one of the simplest ways to recognize whether you've been affected or not is our very vague images and knowledge of foreign countries . Many of us see other countries as living in huts or standards equal to the 50's or 60's of a western nation . Ever really see South Africa other than grouped blacks with an impoverished background , yet modern up-to-date cities do exist and flourish . How about Russia ? How many images of Modern China , Russia , Iran do we have available to form even a small opinion on other countries . People think Iranians are so stupid they couldn't successfully run a nuclear plant . I'm amazed at Travel Channel images and news broadcast images of places where they "only" show outskirts or shanty towns ! I recently posted about Astana , a modern city of incredible wealth and involved in a super-build ! We are being shoveled propaganda by the scoopful . Any honest opinion is welcome , thanks .....

Zygomatic
09-23-2010, 08:33 AM
I have a friend who lives in China and he says it is absolutely the worst motherfucking shithole he has ever experienced. He says the people are savages who shit in the street, eat dogs, and you are never more that 100 feet away from a $5 hand job. The police don't have to work because street justice rules. The air is brown and unbreathable the water stinks and it is hot as fuck most of the time. Doctors smoke right in the hospital. Anything you do not keep physically attached to your person will be stolen. Right across the bridge is Hong Kong and it is one of the most beautiful places he has ever been.

Anyway, that's what he tells me and that's how I get my opinion of China. Despite all the bad stuff I'd kinda like to go for the $5 handjobs.

Krupski
09-23-2010, 11:43 AM
I have a friend who lives in China and he says it is absolutely the worst motherfucking shithole he has ever experienced.

Ever see the pictures of the Beijing Olympics.... prosperity on one side of the wall and a slum on the other?

Bluntforce
09-23-2010, 11:48 AM
My uncle was in Vietnam as a helicopter pilot. While over there he managed to visit Bangkok and even managed a trip Johannesburg SA. He said Johannesburg was the most beautiful city in the world and Bangkok was the second most. I have no opinion on the matter and did not receive elaboration.

It is my opinion that it is particularly dangerous for you to ask for opinions honest or otherwise.

MOP
09-23-2010, 12:53 PM
There' re beautiful cities all over the world. I have also seen shitty places

all over, as well as right here in the USA.

O.S.O.K.
09-23-2010, 08:54 PM
The sky is blue. The ocean is green kinda. Dirt brown... mostly.

ltorlo64
09-23-2010, 11:25 PM
The sky is blue. The ocean is green kinda. Dirt brown... mostly.

Have to disagree with the ocean thing, until you get to the Persian Gulf anyway. I have spent alot of time on the ocean, I have almost 20 years on sea duty. What is cool about the ocean is all the different colors it can be, from brown to green to deep blue, and they all look pure. The Persian Gulf on the other hand, looks brown, but it is a dirty brown, not a clean, clear brown as when you are on the open ocean.

As for perceptions. I have driven through Bangkok and you would go from modern city to shanty town in less than a block. Hong Kong and Kowloon are nice, but within walking distance the streets smell like a sewer. Singapore is the most modern, electronic city I have been in. Clean and tidy, but that is because they will cane you if you do anything to disturb the peace. Dubai is the same way. They have an indoor ski area in a very upscale mall that is just blocks from buildings that should be torn down. What you are looking for to make your point is easily findable in most areas. You can prove they are modern or prove they are little better off than third world areas.

crapshoot
09-24-2010, 02:02 AM
I have a friend who lives in China and he says it is absolutely the worst motherfucking shithole he has ever experienced. He says the people are savages who shit in the street, eat dogs, and you are never more that 100 feet away from a $5 hand job. The police don't have to work because street justice rules. The air is brown and unbreathable the water stinks and it is hot as fuck most of the time. Doctors smoke right in the hospital. Anything you do not keep physically attached to your person will be stolen. Right across the bridge is Hong Kong and it is one of the most beautiful places he has ever been.

Anyway, that's what he tells me and that's how I get my opinion of China. Despite all the bad stuff I'd kinda like to go for the $5 handjobs.

I'm totally down for $5 handjobs. I gotta book me a trip!

Randomluck
09-24-2010, 04:17 PM

They're 3 for $10 in Michigan....

old Grump
09-24-2010, 04:53 PM
They're 3 for $10 in Michigan....Those are the ones from laid off assembly line workers with callused hands and grimy fingernails. Better to stick with the expensive ones in China.

HDR
09-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Those are the ones from laid off assembly line workers with callused hands and grimy fingernails. Better to stick with the expensive ones in China.

You're lucky the Board is slow tonight... :lool:

Full Otto
09-24-2010, 09:53 PM

That would take a while just to break even on the airfare