PDA

View Full Version : shotgun reloading question---hulls

deth502
12-05-2013, 11:02 PM
how important is it, really, what kind of hull you use?

i have a box of mixed hulls (trap range pick-ups) all are low brass. most are frderal, some remington, and some "other", i really dont plan on separating them. all the reload data seems to be quite different from one hull to another, with a lot of them not even listed for the same powder/wad combos.

is there really so much difference from one hull to another to make this matter??

Schuetzenman
12-06-2013, 07:00 AM
Well first there are 6 and 8 point crimp shells. You need to cull out each time and load those as a group. Most loading tools come with the 6 and 8 point crimp inserts. Next I'd say it comes down to internal volume inside the empty case. Some shells have a fiber web in the bottom, some are molded in. I suppose there could also be a wall thickness difference brand to brand.

Most of the 12 ga. shells I reload are Remington Blue Magic shells. I purchased a couple thousand once fired cases way the hell back in 1982 and have been using them ever since. You can load them, (and probably any other shell) until the crimp breaks off.

deth502
12-06-2013, 11:03 AM
i do know about the different crimps. ill likely just toss the odd ball ones as i dont want to be changing the setup back and forth. but as an aside, dont they have a little slug thing that you are supposed to be able to run in a drill and, from what i gather, it just uses friction to partially "melt" the end of the case, the use what crimp you like? moot point anyway, like i said, the odd balll will just get tossed. they are only range pickups so no real need to "get my moneys worth" by using every last one.

other than that, so, do you suppose an internal volume check using some water would be a near enough indicator of which can be interchanged?