PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Libations/Food

TEN-32
12-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Do you guys have any special drink recipe traditions at your house? What about food? I make a drink called "Tom & Jerrys". Its a warm, frothy egg and sugar base with rum and brandy, spiced with nutmeg and cinnamon. For dinner on Christmas eve, I make ham. I'll try different glazes etc., but always ham. For breakfast on Christmas morning we have kringles. Its a sort of Scandinavian coffee cake in different flavors. They are fairly common in Wisconsin where I grew up.

What about you guys!?!?

All religions welcome. :coffee:

El Jefe
12-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Sounds good, Matt. :)

I'm the only drinker in the house so I just keep it simple and have a few of my favorite cocktails: Whiskey and a bit of ice. ;)

Oddly enough we have, what has become a tradition for the boys, chicken soup and fresh bread on Christmas Eve. We did it once when they were little and they've insisted on it since. I make fresh chicken stock for the soup and the wife bakes bread. I'll admit its quite good, just not sure why the kids like it so much.

I think for dinner on Christmas Day, I'm going to roast some game hens. Birds, potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, chicken stock and white wine. Then with the pan juices I'll make gravy. Last time I fixed this everyone liked it, even Ian out little one. If he likes it, it must be good. ;)

TEN-32
12-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Now that all sounds like top notch repast. Soup and bread, homemade...rustic hearty peasant food. I like it and I like the departure from the typical holiday excess. Thats a cool family tradition. Those game birds sound very nice too.

Helen Keller
12-10-2013, 08:19 PM
i wish they would put that pepsi holiday spice out again , and mix it with black rum.

El Jefe
12-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Now that all sounds like top notch repast. Soup and bread, homemade...rustic hearty peasant food. I like it and I like the departure from the typical holiday excess. Thats a cool family tradition. Those game birds sound very nice too.

Did you just call me a peasant?

Why I oughta! :angry040:

But seriously, I've mentioned doing different things on Christmas Eve a time or two and you'd swear I was advocating canceling Christmas. Yikes! ;)

El Jefe
12-10-2013, 10:03 PM

Oh, on the birds, I like to put a little rosemary and thyme inside the bird and a pat or two of butter under the skin next to the breast meat. They turn out well and the presentation of the 4 birds and vegetables on a platter is kind of cool.

I'm thinking of also making some scalloped corn with oysters, but I don't know how enthused the clan will be. Personally I love it, but they've convinced themselves that oysters are yucky. *sigh*

TEN-32
12-11-2013, 08:38 AM
LOL...no I didn't call you a peasant. That style of cooking is referred to a peasant food. Its NOT a bad thing, trust me. :lool:

Speaking of oysters...One of my favorite New Year's Eve treats is oyster stew. I can't get anyone else interested so I don't usually make it. Its a once a year thing if at all though because its basically cream, butter, oysters and salt and pepper. Whats this corn/oyster dish? I'm interested...

El Jefe
12-11-2013, 09:10 AM
LOL...no I didn't call you a peasant. That style of cooking is referred to a peasant food. Its NOT a bad thing, trust me. :lool:

Speaking of oysters...One of my favorite New Year's Eve treats is oyster stew. I can't get anyone else interested so I don't usually make it. Its a once a year thing if at all though because its basically cream, butter, oysters and salt and pepper. Whats this corn/oyster dish? I'm interested...

My Mom used to make oyster stew a lot. She used whole milk so it wouldn't be as heavy, but I always liked it.

As for scalloped corn with oysters, its basically scalloped corn with oysters added. :)

Scalloped corn is not much different than scalloped potatoes. If you have a recipe for scalloped corn that you like, or one that sounds good to you, just add the oysters and some of the juice from the can for favor, before you bake it. I love the stuff. The sweetness of the corn works well with the oyster flavor.

TEN-32
12-11-2013, 10:06 AM
I've never heard of scalloped corn. I did a search and recipes are all over the map. I think I can work with it though as a side dish for the ham.:thumbsup:

I also just saw a recipe for egg nog from scratch. I think I'm gonna have to try it.

Westmorland Club of Richmond Virginia

Eggnog

85oz Brandy, Chilled

12oz Cognac, Chilled

14oz Dark Rum, Chilled

19 eggs separated and beaten

22 Tbls powdered sugar (1 3/8 cups)

56oz Heavy Cream (1qt + 1 1/2pt)

16 oz Half’n Half

Beat egg yolks and gradually combine powdered sugar. Then slowly beat in the chilled brandy, rum and cognac (make sure it is very cold). Now mix in the cream and half’n half. Fold in the beaten egg whites last. Put eggnog in a large chilled crockery crock and if the weather is cold enough put it out on the back porch to “Marry” overnight. Otherwise put in the icebox overnight. Grate a little fresh nutmeg over each serving.

El Jefe
12-11-2013, 10:34 AM
Um, thats a lot of eggnog. ;)

TEN-32
12-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Um, thats a lot of eggnog. ;)

OK, just made a batch. I quartered it...so its somewhere between a half and full gallon. I added some vanilla extract and replaced the brandy, cognac and rum with bourbon. Its on the deck chilling. I'll report back later...:thumbsup:

El Jefe
12-11-2013, 02:37 PM
OK, just made a batch. I quartered it...so its somewhere between a half and full gallon. I added some vanilla extract and replaced the brandy, cognac and rum with bourbon. Its on the deck chilling. I'll report back later...:thumbsup:

I think you should swill the entire batch in a single sitting..........and then report back! :coffee:

TEN-32
12-11-2013, 03:15 PM
It could happen...but the real question is what cigar to pair...? There's one for the brain trust!

raxar
12-11-2013, 04:42 PM
i wish they would put that pepsi holiday spice out again , and mix it with black rum.

Damn straight, that shit was awesome, though I never mixed it with rum.

TEN-32
12-11-2013, 04:51 PM
OK...holy shit. Fuck Dean's, Oberweis, Borden...its all CRAP. This is the bomb.
http://imageshack.us/a/img577/7338/p8we.jpg

FunkyPertwee
12-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Oddly enough we have, what has become a tradition for the boys, chicken soup and fresh bread on Christmas Eve. We did it once when they were little and they've insisted on it since. I make fresh chicken stock for the soup and the wife bakes bread. I'll admit its quite good, just not sure why the kids like it so much.

Nostalgia.

They'll be telling their kids and grandkids about chicken soup Christmas Eves long after your dead and buried.

TEN-32
12-11-2013, 05:35 PM
Its on motherfuckerzzzzz.....
http://imageshack.us/a/img594/4761/uwwy.jpg

El Jefe
12-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Nostalgia.

They'll be telling their kids and grandkids about chicken soup Christmas Eves long after your dead and buried.

Probably true. But uh, can't they tell them without me being dead? ;)

El Jefe
12-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Its on motherfuckerzzzzz.....

So uh, what does one pair with raw eggs and hooch? :embarrassed: ;)

TEN-32
12-12-2013, 01:20 AM
So uh, what does one pair with raw eggs and hooch? :embarrassed: ;)

I have no idea what that cigar was. It was given to me in a bag with 8 or 10 others...no wrappers.

CigarGuy
12-12-2013, 07:38 AM
The egg nog has to be creamy. Something creamy? Jeffy.........JEFFY! Paging the one with the good taste buds.......

El Jefe
12-12-2013, 08:28 AM
The egg nog has to be creamy. Something creamy? Jeffy.........JEFFY! Paging the one with the good taste buds.......

Ashton Classic!

CigarGuy
12-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Ashton Classic!

Mmmm.........Ashton Classic..........