PDA

View Full Version : Those of us with kids leaving home and a gun collection...

O.S.O.K.
07-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Specifically, those of us old enough to have kids leaving the nest... do you gift your kids with guns?

My daughter just got married and she and the SIL are moving out of state (north)- they both have jobs there!! (Thank you again God).

So anyway, I kind of surprised myself and put together a little starter gun collection for them. I wanted them to have a basic setup in case the need arised... A nice folder AK (one of my builds on an Armory USA receiver - romanian donkey dick handguard and rommie folding stock) - actually a favorite of mine... , six EB metal mags, a guncase, an ammobox full of wolf fmj (840 rounds), a nice old Rem 870 wingmaster 12 guage and my S&W 9mm highcap, two mags along with a 100 count box of fmj winny ammo for it. The shotty was so he could go pheasant hunting if he was asked - sounds like the people that he's working with might ask...

I kinda surprised myself with my generosity - I intended to gift them basically one at a time for Christmas... but I guess the Daddy in me took over and decided to make sure they were "covered" immediately. They didn't ask and I think were also surprised.

So, anybody else do this kinda thing when their kids go out into the world?

American Rage
07-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Give it to your daughter, not the son in law. That way if, heaven forbid, things go south, at least you'll get your guns back.

Rage

raxar
07-17-2010, 02:36 PM
I gave my sister a mossberg maverick for a wedding present (which I now have back since they split), also tried to give her a .380 grendel for a carry gun since she lives in the city now and is old enough for a permit, but she refuses to take it.

O.S.O.K.
07-17-2010, 02:44 PM
They are a team. I don't worry about if they seperate - my daughter will get them... trust me. But they are a very good match and I suspect this will last.

I did make up a little paper that gave them the "conditions" of the gifts... such as you can't sell them other than to other family members, need to teach their kids how to shoot when they are old enough, never register them (I will store them for the duration that they are out of America - like in NJ or some place like that...), etc.

Blacksmith
07-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Odd you should mention this now. my son got an apartment and is leaving on the first. My daughter moved out a few years ago. as for giving them firearms. the ones I have set aside for them have sentimental value as well as real value. I remember how many of my belongings where lost when I was starting out and I do not want that to happen to theirs. besides my son already owns a custom 10-22 with his initials deeply engraved in a very elaborate stock. You know, one of those that nobody besides the owner would want. and as soon as he turns 21, I am sure he will be down at the gun store to purchase a handgun of his choice. I remember those days, that handgun was something I owned and I earned. not just some gun my dad gave me.

O.S.O.K.
07-17-2010, 03:19 PM
I hear you about apartment living - and theft...

They are moving to a condo and I intend to get them a small metal gun cabinet that we can screw into the wall and floor in a closet. Will slow down any would-be thief...maybe enough to keep them from getting them...

My most valued guns are the ones that my Dad gave me... and my wife's Dad.

Blacksmith
07-17-2010, 03:35 PM
I hear you about apartment living - and theft...

They are moving to a condo and I intend to get them a small metal gun cabinet that we can screw into the wall and floor in a closet. Will slow down any would-be thief...maybe enough to keep them from getting them...

My most valued guns are the ones that my Dad gave me... and my wife's Dad.
My post was misleading. a few of the guns my son will be receiving has been passed down to me from my father. they do mean allot to me.
That’s why my son will not be getting them until he owns a safe and a house. besides he knows that he can borrow any of them I have. and the shooting range is right out the back door.

alismith
07-17-2010, 04:48 PM
All my kids are living on their own. Only one of the three ever expressed an interest in my guns and he asked that I made sure I left it to him in my will. Hell, why wait that long? I gave it to him already. Since then, he saw a pistol a friend of mine wanted to trade something for, so I traded a pistol I wasn't using for it and gave it to him. Other than that, I guess I'll divide them fairly equally in my will, but since he's the only one who has expressed an interest, he'll get first pick. After I'm gone, I doubt I'll be needing my guns much anyway.

O.S.O.K.
07-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Yeah, that's the way I look at it too - may as well give them some now so they can use them and enjoy them. I'm keeping plenty for my own hunting and shooting though :)

L1A1Rocker
07-17-2010, 10:27 PM
No kids of mine to leave the nest but I think its a good idea. By the time I left home I was a collage grad and had already put together a small collection. My dad gave me a .22 for my 11th birthday, a Reminton 1100 for my 14th birthday and an AMT .45 for my 17th. While in collage I bought a nice Para P-14 for IPSC that I had been using the AMT for.

Once I got out on my own I quickly purchased a pistol gripped mossberg for the car as "long guns" were (and still are) legal to keep on or about your person.

JTHunter
07-17-2010, 10:48 PM
O.S.O.K. - sounds like a good start, but shouldn't you give them some JHP's instead of all those FMJ's?

mriddick
07-17-2010, 11:23 PM
I've been buying in 3's for years to give my sons firearms someday.

Lysander
07-18-2010, 01:11 PM
So, anybody else do this kinda thing when their kids go out into the world?

I've planned for it. Started building an AR for my daughter, she'll get one of my old Marlin .22s, I'll go find a good used 870 for her, and then a pair of M&P 9mms. I'm accused right now of using this as an excuse to "expand" my collection since Sofia is only 5 months old. Total bollocks, of course. :biggrin:

O.S.O.K.
07-18-2010, 02:04 PM
I've planned for it. Started building an AR for my daughter, she'll get one of my old Marlin .22s, I'll go find a good used 870 for her, and then a pair of M&P 9mms. I'm accused right now of using this as an excuse to "expand" my collection since Sofia is only 5 months old. Total bollocks, of course. :biggrin:

That's exactly why I haven't sold off any more than I have - I have made mental lists of what will be gifted to the kids. And I'm not at all surprised at your response, I've seen your previous posts of your fatherhood activities. Good on you.

And JTHunter, the S&W had one mag loaded with HP's. I just don't have lot of them on-hand. And they know where walmart is...

Dan Morris
07-18-2010, 04:18 PM

As both of mine are gone, I divided up the stuff several years back...kept the stuff I was gonna use. Kids got thiers. The few I kept have a destination when I see the white buffalo!
Dan

O.S.O.K.
07-18-2010, 07:25 PM

Wow. That's really dedicated. And it makes it easy to keep everything "fair". I've done that one at a time with a few things. Thought about doing it with the good buys like Cz82's for example... but decided not to.

They'll each get different firearms for the most part, but I'm striving to keep it all equitable.

F-16 CHIEF
07-18-2010, 09:45 PM
O.s.o.k = greatest father in law ever!!!

remy1492
07-18-2010, 10:16 PM
I got rifles for my kids, and I only have a 1.5 yr old right now.

I have stashed a ton of rifles actually, new AK-74s with ammo ready to go.
But I want it to have meaning and sentimental value.
Like the first item you saved up for etc...... when you didnt have much growing up.
Will so many guns lessen the sentimental value of any of them?
Will GIVING an AK to my kid be akin to giving a 16yr old a new car? Should that be something they EARN, or GET?

Blacksmith
07-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Well I started thinking about this and last night I broke down and gave him a P-38 and one of my AKM’s
I figure if he looses those he is only out about a grand. The more valuable ones will have to wait until he is settled into a house. It sure is hard letting go.

O.S.O.K.
07-19-2010, 06:05 PM
O.s.o.k = greatest father in law ever!!!

Aw, shucks. :)

Blacksmith! You made his day! Yes, it is hard letting the babbies go - the Romie folder build that I gave them was a favorite... shoots really well.

Blacksmith
07-20-2010, 01:26 AM
Aw, shucks. :)

Blacksmith! You made his day! Yes, it is hard letting the babbies go - the Romie folder build that I gave them was a favorite... shoots really well.

The one I gave him was a romy G with an Ironwood design stock set. nice rifle and dead nuts accurate. I have soooo many AKM’s that I won’t miss it, but that P-38 was a favorite. I knew he liked it and it is an extremely reliable piece. It should serve him well. :)

Mark Ducati
07-20-2010, 02:27 PM
I think a lot has to do with age and maturity of your child, and residence... I agree completely with giving them a starter collection of the basics: 1) Assault Rifle 2) Pistol 3) Shotgun 4) Hunting Rifle in this particular order if you cant do all 4 at the same time.

Age: If they're not 21, they cant have a pistol legally...

Maturity: Again, that's dependent upon the child...

Residence: College Dorm, Fraternity/Sorority House? ALL say no to weapons in house., some college campuses also have a strict no guns policy. Do they have their own apartment?

When my wife went to Dental Hygiene School, her daddy gave her a S&W .38 special for home protection. She was over 21 at the time. When my son/daughter go to college, I plan to buy a condo for the tax write off and I'll even rent out the other rooms to help pay the mortgage. My child will have a locked gun safe in the house with ammo and guns to which they alone have the combination. And yes, they will have a pistol in the safe... after all, it is MY house and they are MY guns ;)

O.S.O.K.
07-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Mark, they can't purchase or carry a handgun under 21 but they can legally own and shoot one...

At least that's the law here in TX.

Blacksmith
07-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Mark, they can't purchase or carry a handgun under 21 but they can legally own and shoot one...

At least that's the law here in TX.

In AZ it’s 18 for open carry and 21 for concealed. no age limit for ownership but must be 21 to purchase a handgun.

There is also a lot of exceptions where minors can carry legally regardless of there age.

Generally, a person must be at least 18 years of age to possess or openly carry a firearm. However, this does not apply to:
Juveniles within a private residence.
Emancipated juveniles.
Juveniles accompanied by a parent, grandparent or guardian, or a certified hunter safety instructor or certified firearms safety instructor acting with the consent of the juvenile's parent or guardian.
Juveniles on private property owned or leased by the juvenile or the juvenile's parent, grandparent, or guardian.
Juveniles fourteen years of age and up engaged in any of the following activities:
Lawful hunting or shooting events or marksmanship practice at established ranges or other areas where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited.
Lawful transportation of an unloaded firearm for lawful hunting.
Lawful transportation of an unloaded firearm between the hours of 5:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. for shooting events or marksmanship practice at established ranges or other areas where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited.
Activities that require a firearm related to the production of crops, livestock, poultry, livestock products, poultry products, or ratites or in the production or storage of agricultural commodities.[18]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)#Arizona