PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Slang

El Duce
12-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Some of this gave me a chuckle.

http://firstwefeast.com/eat/kitchen-slang-101-talk-like-real-life-line-cook/

We have a few of our own. One of favorites. (I mostly work in an open kitchen) One of the cooks we see a good looking girl/woman walk by, then say out loud. "Chef Emmersome!" After a few times. I asked him why the heck he was saying that. He responded. Well Chef. Emmersome nice tits on that one!

So, that became code for a hot woman in the place. Also in the open kitchen. Working the pass. You have to know all of the table numbers. That way you can see a table, and fire the food if you need to before the waitstaff. To let the kitchen know where the good ones are at. You holler Hot one on 52!

If you eat in a place that has an open counter, that has seats at it. It's a good place to sit and watch the action. A knowledgeable chef/cook will engage you in conversation. Explain what he/she is doing. Maybe throw you something extra. That is how they get their tips!

Oh the stories that I could tell over the years. I have seen just about it all.

Goodman
12-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Hot woman= fire 9 (we had an open line).
Damn, it's been a long time- I forgot about all that.

Eta- looking over the link it occurred to me that even though we had a rail we still called it the wheel. Old times....

El Duce
12-17-2013, 05:12 PM
Hot woman= fire 9 (we had an open line).
Damn, it's been a long time- I forgot about all that.

Eta- looking over the link it occurred to me that even though we had a rail we still called it the wheel. Old times....

Worked with the wheel as well. Also, when I tell someone to "rail it!" They had better get it to me in a hurry.

One I made up. Tell someone to 2112 something. (The name of a RUSH album.) Only old rockers get that one.

Richard Simmons
12-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Having had the pleasure of sitting at your counter I can concur that the experience is a marvelous one. I imagine some things that happen in the kitchen should probably stay in the kitchen but in your case I found it a pleasure to see someone as accomplished as yourself in their element. The way things come together is pretty awesome. Sherry and I were most amazed at how even the most basic ingredients can come together so quickly and into such delicious fare. As I believe you told us at the time the quality of the ingredients is one of the largest factors in the taste of the final product. That and knowing how to combine them properly makes all the difference.

El Duce
12-17-2013, 06:45 PM
Having had the pleasure of sitting at your counter I can concur that the experience is a marvelous one. I imagine some things that happen in the kitchen should probably stay in the kitchen but in your case I found it a pleasure to see someone as accomplished as yourself in their element. The way things come together is pretty awesome. Sherry and I were most amazed at how even the most basic ingredients can come together so quickly and into such delicious fare. As I believe you told us at the time the quality of the ingredients is one of the largest factors in the taste of the final product. That and knowing how to combine them properly makes all the difference.

Thank you Richard!

As one that has spent almost half of his life in a kitchen. It is best to eat at a place where you can see the kitchen.

Goodman
12-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Worked with the wheel as well. Also, when I tell someone to "rail it!" They had better get it to me in a hurry.

One I made up. Tell someone to 2112 something. (The name of a RUSH album.) Only old rockers get that one.

Yes- on a rail= expedite. We had that
I know the album (good stuff!) but not sure i get the intent on 2112

skorpion
12-17-2013, 06:58 PM
It is best to eat at a place where you can see the kitchen.
Especially after watching a movie like Waiting.

El Duce
12-17-2013, 07:14 PM
Yes- on a rail= expedite. We had that
I know the album (good stuff!) but not sure i get the intent on 2112

2112. Put a Rush on that item.

Goodman
12-17-2013, 07:17 PM
2112. Put a Rush on that item.

Could you clarify that?

Duh...lol....how'd I miss that???

Broondog
12-17-2013, 08:58 PM
i've been in kitchens for 30+ years and many of our terms are a bit different. maybe it's the midwest?

i usually work/call the wheel
railed out = full rail of checks
need it to sell = anything i need right now from anywhere (line, dishroom, prep). add "yesterday" and i need it faster.
sell it = last cook coming up on a check
deep sixed = 86'd a long time ago
are we at fucking burger king? = guest is trying to rewrite the menu

there are many more.....

at one white linen place i worked at i had a Steak-n-Shake hat i would wear when the drunks at the bar would start ordering burgers/sandwiches (lunch) right before close. that shit would piss me off.

**note to non restaurant people.......try to avoid going in someplace that is about to close. we don't look favorably on that!