PDA

View Full Version : Queso beer cheese re

Cypher
12-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Hey guys and gals,
I need some help with putting together a good queso recipe. I have the bulk of it down pat but wondering what other good ideas you all might have.

The base is Velveeta, two cans of rotel tomatoes and green chilies, 1lb of breakfast sausage.

I was going to add a block of smoked cheddar cheese to it but what can I add to thin it out a little bit? I was thinking about beer, I love beer cheese although non of us drink beer, I read a Melting pot recipe that called for 4 oz of beer, would that work in this recipe? Is that ok for kids? Cooking it gets rid of the alcohol properties doesn't it? Bourbon?

What are some other ideas for great queso? Unfortunately some of the family doesn't like it really hot so I have to forgo the really spicy stuff , I might get some canned jalapenos we can add on the side.

Is it too much to add a little bacon for extra flavor?

rci2950
12-22-2013, 08:47 PM
whats queso? is it French?

FunkyPertwee
12-22-2013, 09:46 PM
Maybe some sour cream mixed in to thin it some.

Definitely add bacon and smoked cheddar!

FunkyPertwee
12-22-2013, 09:48 PM
whats queso? is it French?

Queso is Spanish for "cheese".

In America we say "queso" when its in reference to a Mexican style dip or other dish.

rci2950
12-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Queso is Spanish for "cheese".

In America we say "queso" when its in reference to a Mexican style dip or other dish.

sounds like it could be pretty open ended then.

Mmm some chips and dip would be some good right now. Can i Come over Cypher?

FunkyPertwee
12-22-2013, 09:53 PM

Well it just means cheese when used in Mexican food.

"I would like extra queso on my burrito please".

Or "I'd like to order a large chori-queso" (chori-queso = cheesy Mexican sausage dip).

Queso is pronounced "Kay-So".

davepool
12-22-2013, 09:54 PM
My christmas queso AKA "death dip" is 2/3 block of velvetta, i can of bean and bacon soup, 2 cans of diced jalapenos, and i always sneak in a couple pieces of thinly sliced habanero when my wife is not looking :)

rci2950
12-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Well it just means cheese when used in Mexican food.

"I would like extra queso on my burrito please".

Or "I'd like to order a large chori-queso" (chori-queso = cheesy Mexican sausage dip).

Queso is pronounced "Kay-So".

next time I go to taco bell i will say that.

Unfortunately the most mexican person around here speaks with a French accent. I havent been to an authentic restaurant in a long time.

Cypher
12-22-2013, 09:59 PM

Mmm some chips and dip would be some good right now. Can i Come over Cypher?

You've never heard of Queso, Chile con queso? The glorious spicy cheese sauce that you dip tortilla chips in. LOL.

The base recipe is super easy to make, basically just cook the sausage separately and then mix the cooked meat and rotel cans in while melting the cheese. I like to use a crock pot to melt everything and then keep it on low so it stays warm, great for parties.

"Velveeta, two cans of rotel tomatoes and green chilies, 1lb of breakfast sausage"

I like the idea of sour cream and/or bean and bacon soup, might have to try that some time too.

FunkyPertwee
12-22-2013, 10:02 PM
next time I go to taco bell i will say that.

Unfortunately the most mexican person around here speaks with a French accent. I havent been to an authentic restaurant in a long time.

In my town there is Mexican owned chain restaurants, recognizable by the cheap radioactive green margaritas; there are Mexican homestyle restaurants that serve food that is sometimes beyond my limited tastes; and lastly are the American owned "hipster" Mexican places, some of which are really good. There aren't many taco trucks around town except the hipster food trucks downtown and the construction yard "roach coaches". I've heard the taco trucks in Miami and California can be really good (or horribly bad).

My favorite place is American owned and serves badass lime margaritas that I get on the rocks. Made with good tequila and real lime juice.

And I go in occasionally for a frozen screwdriver on sundays.

Cypher
12-22-2013, 10:06 PM
In my town there is Mexican owned chain restaurants, recognizable by the cheap radioactive green margaritas; there are Mexican homestyle restaurants that serve food that is sometimes beyond my limited tastes; and lastly are the American owned "hipster" Mexican places, some of which are really good. There aren't many taco trucks around town except the hipster food trucks downtown and the construction yard "roach coaches". I've heard the taco trucks in Miami and California can be really good (or horribly bad).

My favorite place is American owned and serves badass lime margaritas that I get on the rocks. Made with good tequila and real lime juice.

And I go in occasionally for a frozen screwdriver on sundays.

surprisingly enough around here the best Mexican or tex/mex places are the American owned and hipster type places. There are some good Mexican owned places but they usually use much cheaper ingredients and don't taste as good.

I like Chuy's a lot too, they seem to be getting more popular.

Schuetzenman
12-22-2013, 10:24 PM
My christmas queso AKA "death dip" is 2/3 block of velvetta, i can of bean and bacon soup, 2 cans of diced jalapenos, and i always sneak in a couple pieces of thinly sliced habanero when my wife is not looking :)

Reminds me of something my wife made that was oh so good tasting but oh so very very bad for people that eat it. 2Lb. block of Velveeta, 1 lb. of browned and drained off ground beef. 1 lb. of browned and drained off sausage that is crumbled. 1 large jar of Mild or Hot Salsa depending on how much heat you want. Mix that up in a crock pot and melt it down. Serve hot with Frito's Scoops. Like liquid cheesy crack, once you start you aren't going to stop! We both loved it so much we stopped making it in 1999 and haven't made it since then.

FunkyPertwee
12-22-2013, 11:20 PM
We both loved it so much we stopped making it in 1999 and haven't made it since then.

It sounds pretty good.

Why would you stop making it if was so good?

Schuetzenman
12-22-2013, 11:34 PM
It sounds pretty good.

Why would you stop making it if was so good?

Velveeta, ground beef and sausage with salsa. Frito Lay scoops corn chips. About 500 calories per chip dipped in it with 100% of the daily cholesterol in every chip as well. Like injecting lard into your arteries. Oral suicide!

Velveeta is about the worst cheese product a human can eat given the man tweaked nature of it.

Gunner1558
12-22-2013, 11:51 PM
Made the mistake some 50 years ago of calling "Chili con queso" cheese dip.

My first introduction to it, was used to cheese fondu, but this was much better.

Mine host was only slightly amused, and took the time to indicate the various differences from cheese dip.

The best recollection was that beer was a thinning agent. Good Luck, whatever you use!

Cypher
12-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Velveeta, ground beef and sausage with salsa. Frito Lay scoops corn chips. About 500 calories per chip dipped in it with 100% of the daily cholesterol in every chip as well. Like injecting lard into your arteries. Oral suicide!

Velveeta is about the worst cheese product a human can eat given the man tweaked nature of it.

Wow, that must have been a BIG chip to add up to 500 calories, lol. I think someone's calculation was a little off.

Schuetzenman
12-23-2013, 03:54 PM
Wow, that must have been a BIG chip to add up to 500 calories, lol. I think someone's calculation was a little off.

It's hyperbole, .... humorous exaggeration. But not far off in reality as you can't eat just one or even 10 chips. Like I said, Crack Addict level taste.

davepool
12-23-2013, 08:42 PM
surprisingly enough around here the best Mexican or tex/mex places are the American owned and hipster type places. There are some good Mexican owned places but they usually use much cheaper ingredients and don't taste as good.

I like Chuy's a lot too, they seem to be getting more popular.

When i'm in the mood for authentic mexican food, i always hit the taco bell drive thru......

yes, i'm kidding :)

FunkyPertwee
12-23-2013, 08:46 PM

Eating horribly bad yet wonderfully tasty food is what the holidays are all about.

Adog
12-23-2013, 08:56 PM
My friend gets most of his deer meat made into breakfast sausage. That's pretty darn good in a cheese dip, had a great spice kick to it.
We don't ever thin it out, that I know of, just keep it in a crock pot.

Cypher
12-24-2013, 12:11 AM
It's hyperbole, .... humorous exaggeration. But not far off in reality as you can't eat just one or even 10 chips. Like I said, Crack Addict level taste.

Ah ok I gocha, I took you literally. I agree 500 calories would not take long to eat in chips and dip like this. That's why I like making it when there will be 10 or more people so we each just get a normal serving, way to easy to eat too much.