PDA

View Full Version : New Years Eve Plans?

TEN-32
12-31-2013, 04:52 PM
So what do you guys have lined up for the BIG New Years Eve celebration? I will be observing tradition and spending a quiet evening home with my wife and maybe a few cocktails and a cigar(maybe that Opus X). We almost never make it to midnight for the ball drop. Pretty exciting, huh? I picked up some blue crab and I'll make some crab cakes and we'll have some other little munchies.

Some highlights from 2013 for me were actually a result of this forum. Jefferson initiated a cigar box pass that I found to be a lot of fun and out of that I made new friends...one in person. I wish you guys a safe and happy New Years Eve and I hope 2014 brings you much happiness and joy.

Adog
12-31-2013, 05:11 PM
No cigars here, but I am smoking a turkey.
Gonna hang out with the wife and dogs, eat a nice dinner and drink a few beers. Maybe fire off a few rounds when midnight rolls around.
Happy New Year everyone.

ltorlo64
12-31-2013, 05:19 PM
Hanging out with my wife, daughter and a friend of my daughters. Sleeping late tomorrow is what I am really looking forward too!

mrkalashnikov
12-31-2013, 05:21 PM
The missus & I have been invited to two parties for this evening. One is being hosted by good friends of ours who live right on our block, the other by good friends who live on the block just north of us. We generally seem to luck out on get-togethers in our immediate 'hood, which is nice not having to worry about driving with all the crazies out & about on New Years Eve. Plus, we're expected to get hit with 8-10 inches of snow tonight!

Everybody stay safe, enjoy a libation & perhaps good smoke, and I'll see you all next year! :wootrock:

El Jefe
12-31-2013, 05:49 PM
Gosh, we've not been out on New Years since we had kids.

We're fixing some simple scalloped potatoes with ham and a fresh loaf of bread. I did add a little zip to the dish by trading out half the cheddar for swiss. :)

I'll be asleep before 12:00. But I might imbibe in an adult beverage and a smoke. ;)

El Jefe
12-31-2013, 11:23 PM
Hmmm... on my 2nd glass of EC-12. Bout got a Bolivar burnt up, reading some Jack London tonight, probably switch to tunes soon. Might make it to midnight, maybe, sweethearts been asleep since 9:00. ;)

Happy New Years Bitches! ;)

FunkyPertwee
01-01-2014, 01:05 AM
I ripped off a 30 rounder from an AK and followed it up with a large "adult beverage". Woo!

Happy New Years fuckers!

ambulanceman
01-01-2014, 10:23 AM
My new years eve was spent in pain. Apparently I'm passing a kidney stone.

Anywho, I hope everyone has an awesome new year!

El Jefe
01-01-2014, 11:05 AM
My new years eve was spent in pain. Apparently I'm passing a kidney stone.

Anywho, I hope everyone has an awesome new year!

Ugh, having suffered through a kidney stone episode roughly 4 months ago, I don't envy you. Those damned things are no fun.

But, welcome AM, do you smoke or drink, how about cuss? ;)

ltorlo64
01-01-2014, 11:16 AM
We're fixing some simple scalloped potatoes with ham and a fresh loaf of bread. I did add a little zip to the dish by trading out half the cheddar for swiss. :)

You're living life on the edge! Might want to slow down just a little!

TEN-32
01-01-2014, 01:22 PM
You're living life on the edge! Might want to slow down just a little!

LMAO...yeah that Swiss cheese is risky business!

El Jefe
01-01-2014, 02:02 PM
You people. :dammit:

Seriously tho, the swiss cheese makes it a very different dish. Cheddar alone is good too, but I like this version better.

In case any of you Philistines are interested, heres the recipe:

In a 12" x 8" baking dish, layer sliced potatoes and sliced onions to a depth of roughly 2".
Season potatoes with salt and pepper.

To potatoes add two cups of ham cut into cubes.

Grate 2 cups of cheddar cheese and two cups of swiss cheese.

Make 3 cups of simple white sauce. Flour/butter/milk. Season with salt and pepper.
Once sauce begins to thicken, whisk in 1/4 cup of both the swiss and cheddar cheese.

Pour cheese sauce over potatoes, sprinkle rest of shredded cheese on the top.

Bake at 325 degrees for one hour or until potatoes are tender.

:thumbspbig:

TEN-32
01-01-2014, 02:35 PM
That sounds like a winner!

El Jefe
01-01-2014, 02:50 PM
That sounds like a winner!

It is. It tastes great, is filling (think teenage boys) simple and quick to make. While I made the cheese sauce, Kathrine sliced up potatoes and onion while Matt shredded cheese. By the time I had the sauce ready everything else was done so I just had to combine everything and pop it into the oven.

ltorlo64
01-01-2014, 02:55 PM
It is. It tastes great, is filling (think teenage boys) simple and quick to make. While I made the cheese sauce, Kathrine sliced up potatoes and onion while Matt shredded cheese. By the time I had the sauce ready everything else was done so I just had to combine everything and pop it into the oven.

It is a recipe for me to save for when my wife is traveling. There is way to much FAT, read butter and cheese, for me to get it while she is home. I am glad that she keeps me eating right, but I love the occasional splurge on something like this, and I love scalloped potatoes.