PDA

View Full Version : Went and saw the new Robocop

Hatedbysheeple
02-23-2014, 01:00 AM
It was great, loved the movie, I loved the first 3 growing up with them, but me and my buddy both agreed this was way better. It was PG-13 so it was fine for the kids but the political commentary and ethical dilemmas in the movie are fairly relevant to today's advances in drone tech and kept my attention and reflected somewhat how I felt about our use of drones and where that tech is leading. It was a lot more about the actual man in the suit and peoples motives surrounding that and less about the oh cool he's a robot like the original 80's movie were.

ready
02-23-2014, 01:12 AM
The original was pretty bloody. How's the gore in this one?

Hatedbysheeple
02-23-2014, 01:35 AM
there are some parts when he is in the lab that could be disturbing for more sensitive people, but the gun fights were pretty clean, nothing excessive kept it more realistic no exploding limbs or heads.

tank_monkey
02-24-2014, 01:00 AM
A lot of the fights were with OTHER robots, not cyborg, but robots (i.e. I loved the fight with all of those ED-209s in the building). Robocop is the only Biological officer in the project. But the human body count was pretty damned high, just not OVER the top gore.

You're right about how the movie brings up discussions about ethics. There were ALOT of ethical questions presented. Like a society with NO privacy, everyone is susceptible to instant face recognition regardless of where they are. IN the future we have cameras EVERYWHERE like in London and NYC now. Giving the "kill decision" to a machine rather than a person. How humans are corruptible. But humans are also the ones programming the machines, so a machine is just as corruptible as it's operator. etc. etc. It's a good movie though. I thought it was very entertaining.

Schuetzenman
02-24-2014, 07:08 AM
The original was pretty good though I thought it was going to be Schlock before I saw it. I'll see this one when it comes out on Blue Ray probably.

Phil125
02-24-2014, 10:47 AM
It was great, loved the movie, I loved the first 3 growing up with them, but me and my buddy both agreed this was way better. It was PG-13 so it was fine for the kids but the political commentary and ethical dilemmas in the movie are fairly relevant to today's advances in drone tech and kept my attention and reflected somewhat how I felt about our use of drones and where that tech is leading. It was a lot more about the actual man in the suit and peoples motives surrounding that and less about the oh cool he's a robot like the original 80's movie were.

Glad to hear it was good. The original barely got an R rating they had to cut scenes to get it down from NC-17. When I saw this was PG-13 I thought it would be just a boring sanitized remake of the first one.

Helen Keller
02-24-2014, 11:05 AM
:lool:

I've seen the NC-17 robocop. they maybe took 2-3 scenes out , most from when he gets shot up in the beginning .

Phil125
02-24-2014, 01:56 PM

I've seen the NC-17 robocop. they maybe took 2-3 scenes out , most from when he gets shot up in the beginning .

Yeah that toxic waste scene was far worse than that. But its all about numbers. They have some kind of systems so many scene's of a certain amount of violence gets you the NC rating. Cut enough out and not even the bad one gets you an R rating.

tank_monkey
02-24-2014, 08:00 PM

A lot of the gore rating came from 1) Murphy's bloody execution and the 12 gauge amputation of his hand, 2 ) Bob Morton getting shot in the legs and multiple times in the KNEE CAPS by Boddicker 3) ED-209 shooting the young executive in the conference room when he didn't recognize that the unlucky bastard had put the gun down 4) Antonowsky's toxic waste death where he explodes like a wet sack of Dog Vomit when the car hits him and the head goes flying over the roof and finally 5) the generally HIGH body count when Robocop guns down all those drug factory workers :D For the 1980s it was pretty BRUTAL. Not so much now. :D