PDA

View Full Version : Well, I Got Flopped for Five Years by the Pardon Board

LAGC
02-25-2014, 07:53 PM
(First of all, let me extend my thanks to .308 for provisionally restoring my posting privileges here in GD so I could post this...)

As many of you know, I was hoping to get my gun rights restored this year, March 29 being my 5-year mark from topping out my last prison sentence for Unlawful Possession of a Firearm.

Like many other states, certain classes of felons don't automatically get their gun rights restored upon completion of their sentences here in Idaho, but instead have to apply through the Commission on Pardons and Parole who can be real picky about who they grant pardons to, since it's THEIR necks on the line if someone they pardon ends up doing something bad again. It reflects poorly on them, you see.

So my expectations weren't terribly high to begin with, but I had hoped staying out of trouble without any new arrests for this long would be enough for them to take special consideration of me, as most felons who end up re-offending do so within 3 years if they don't plan on changing their ways. I've been trying to do good, holding down two part-time jobs and going to school full time to keep myself busy -- had many letters of recommendation sent in on my behalf, from family, friends, and co-workers. But sure as rain, in November they quietly made their decision: DENIED. What a bummer, and just as gun and ammo prices are beginning to come back down due to growing realization that no serious gun control will be passed at the Federal level any time soon.

The only silver lining is that they didn't completely close the book on me, the decision wasn't final. They told me I could come back in 5 years and apply again, although with no guarantee I will get a hearing. So my plan at this point is to complete school, hopefully land a good-paying job, become a contributing member of society, and of course stay out of trouble so that when I apply again in 2018, I hopefully knock their socks off, impressing them with how much I've overcome, even with two felonies on my record. Hopefully at that point, they will reconsider.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know in case you were wondering. I probably won't be posting here much in any case, as at least before I had considered myself a "pending" gun-owner, so I felt I tangentially belonged here on this community. But at this point, with so much uncertainty, and all these high-profile shootings in the news lately which probably won't get any rarer over the next 5 years, it could very well be that they will never grant me relief and ever restore my Second Amendment rights. Which, if that turns out to be the case, I kind of feel like I would be "trolling" at that point, arguing politics and current events on a gun board even though I may never be able to legally own guns again. So it goes.

But even if that is the case, I'll still steadfastly oppose gun control. I know there's a lot of hyperbole about unpopular governmental policies that many consider "tyranny" right now and what not. But I know deep down that the only reason the government won't get away with true tyranny (i.e. full suspension of the Bill of Rights) is because there would be violent backlash, as well there should be if that were to ever happen. I'll never support civilian disarmament for that reason alone. The main reason countries like Japan and many in Europe haven't descended into outright fascism despite strict gun controls is because they know the U.S. has their backs should another Hitler arise. But who will have our backs if we are ever disarmed? What would stop the Department of Homeland Security from going full-out Gestapo? I shudder to think about it, with all the hoarding of ammo and setting up of interior check-points they are setting up lately. But I digress.

Anyway, I know I pissed a few people off with my constant aggressive arguing about all things politics and religion, which got me banished to the RoadHouse this last time. So if I do stick around and post on occasion, I'll try to be more polite. But to be honest, with as busy of a schedule as I have with two jobs and full-time school and all, I probably won't be posting much regardless. Not that I don't love you guys and this board and all the great discussions we've had over the past 13 years and all, but I have a busy life. So I have to prioritize. You know how it is.

l921428x
02-25-2014, 08:35 PM
Jack Torrance " Honey I'm home "

imanaknut
02-25-2014, 10:26 PM
Well unlike your commissioners we believe in giving second chances.

El Laton Caliente
02-26-2014, 12:07 AM
I would question how tolerant the DUngen/DUng would have been?

I haven't ever wanted to ban anyone, even the anti-2nd people. I am a believer in free speech, period. Posting your privates is an exception... I miss Smegma, our old school leftie. I like free debate, it makes me better at arguing my beliefs...

Kadmos
02-26-2014, 01:12 AM
Sorry to hear they turned you down.

Sad as it is to say, I wouldn't hold your breath for next time.

That said, and not to get your hopes up, but did you try contacting any of the guns rights groups. There may very well be a lawyer or two who might like to try taking the issue to a higher court.

Not that it's a very popular sentiment, gun rights to felons. But gun rights in general are on the rise, there are certainly worse times to go for it

rci2950
02-26-2014, 06:12 AM
Guns are bad. Piers morgan told me that you are more likely to shoot yourself and your loved ones if you own a gun.

TEN-32
02-26-2014, 08:04 AM
(First of all, let me extend my thanks to .308 for provisionally restoring my posting privileges here in GD so I could post this...)

As many of you know, I was hoping to get my gun rights restored this year, March 29 being my 5-year mark from topping out my last prison sentence for Unlawful Possession of a Firearm.

Like many other states, certain classes of felons don't automatically get their gun rights restored upon completion of their sentences here in Idaho, but instead have to apply through the Commission on Pardons and Parole who can be real picky about who they grant pardons to, since it's THEIR necks on the line if someone they pardon ends up doing something bad again. It reflects poorly on them, you see.

So my expectations weren't terribly high to begin with, but I had hoped staying out of trouble without any new arrests for this long would be enough for them to take special consideration of me, as most felons who end up re-offending do so within 3 years if they don't plan on changing their ways. I've been trying to do good, holding down two part-time jobs and going to school full time to keep myself busy -- had many letters of recommendation sent in on my behalf, from family, friends, and co-workers. But sure as rain, in November they quietly made their decision: DENIED. What a bummer, and just as gun and ammo prices are beginning to come back down due to growing realization that no serious gun control will be passed at the Federal level any time soon.

The only silver lining is that they didn't completely close the book on me, the decision wasn't final. They told me I could come back in 5 years and apply again, although with no guarantee I will get a hearing. So my plan at this point is to complete school, hopefully land a good-paying job, become a contributing member of society, and of course stay out of trouble so that when I apply again in 2018, I hopefully knock their socks off, impressing them with how much I've overcome, even with two felonies on my record. Hopefully at that point, they will reconsider.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know in case you were wondering. I probably won't be posting here much in any case, as at least before I had considered myself a "pending" gun-owner, so I felt I tangentially belonged here on this community. But at this point, with so much uncertainty, and all these high-profile shootings in the news lately which probably won't get any rarer over the next 5 years, it could very well be that they will never grant me relief and ever restore my Second Amendment rights. Which, if that turns out to be the case, I kind of feel like I would be "trolling" at that point, arguing politics and current events on a gun board even though I may never be able to legally own guns again. So it goes.

But even if that is the case, I'll still steadfastly oppose gun control. I know there's a lot of hyperbole about unpopular governmental policies that many consider "tyranny" right now and what not. But I know deep down that the only reason the government won't get away with true tyranny (i.e. full suspension of the Bill of Rights) is because there would be violent backlash, as well there should be if that were to ever happen. I'll never support civilian disarmament for that reason alone. The main reason countries like Japan and many in Europe haven't descended into outright fascism despite strict gun controls is because they know the U.S. has their backs should another Hitler arise. But who will have our backs if we are ever disarmed? What would stop the Department of Homeland Security from going full-out Gestapo? I shudder to think about it, with all the hoarding of ammo and setting up of interior check-points they are setting up lately. But I digress.

Anyway, I know I pissed a few people off with my constant aggressive arguing about all things politics and religion, which got me banished to the RoadHouse this last time. So if I do stick around and post on occasion, I'll try to be more polite. But to be honest, with as busy of a schedule as I have with two jobs and full-time school and all, I probably won't be posting much regardless. Not that I don't love you guys and this board and all the great discussions we've had over the past 13 years and all, but I have a busy life. So I have to prioritize. You know how it is.

Nobody cares.

Integratedj
02-26-2014, 08:34 AM
First, to .308 for letting this fuck stick back out of his hole :countdown:
Lol. Why man, why?

Second, to lagc... HaHa!!!!!!!!

Aggressive Perfector
02-26-2014, 09:48 AM
Bummer.

L1A1Rocker
02-26-2014, 09:50 AM
I wonder if any of your internet trolling found its way to the attention of "the board".

rktman
02-26-2014, 09:55 AM
I wonder if any of your internet trolling found its way to the attention of "the board".

Which begs the question, why on earth would a convicted felon troll around on a guns oriented forum if he is trying to get guns rights restored after getting in trouble for unlawful ownership?
Unfortunately, people like this do not (and choose not to) change.

00RedZX-6R
02-26-2014, 10:45 AM
I personally feel if your sentenance is over all of your rights should be restored. How we let them take a god given right is beyond me. It is not theirs to take.

El Jefe
02-26-2014, 10:59 AM
Nobody cares.

No kidding.

rci2950
02-26-2014, 11:10 AM
Stop being a little girl and go buy a snub nose from your pot dealer.

;)

El Jefe
02-26-2014, 11:12 AM

;)

He claimed once to have a pistol stashed somewhere. Too bad the review folks don't know about it.

rci2950
02-26-2014, 11:13 AM
He claimed once to have a pistol stashed somewhere. Too bad the review folks don't know about it.

That .380 he bought last summer?

El Jefe
02-26-2014, 11:20 AM
That .380 he bought last summer?

Perhaps. But I remember a conversation from before last year. Knowing the source it was probably BS anyway.

rci2950
02-26-2014, 11:29 AM
The only option left for you

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/27/denyry8a.jpg

ask for a dust filter for a Hoover Max Extract 60 Pressure Pro

FunkyPertwee
02-26-2014, 11:55 AM

;)

Is that how you got a snubnose living in Canada?

L1A1Rocker
02-26-2014, 01:29 PM
It just struck me. FAGC said that he plans on college and trying to get a good job. But I don't recall ever seeing a job that required a college degree that didn't dis-allow a person for having a felony on their record.

l921428x
02-26-2014, 01:37 PM
interesting, because all do a background check, even for housekeeping jobs.

Helen Keller
02-26-2014, 01:53 PM
The only option left for you

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/27/denyry8a.jpg

ask for a dust filter for a Hoover Max Extract 60 Pressure Pro

A red mini-van with "Free Candy" on the side will pick you up.

l921428x
02-26-2014, 02:00 PM
What gets me is that he has made his bed.
Then after he gets banned, he comes back for sympathy.
Just damn.

imanaknut
02-26-2014, 02:25 PM
There was a time in this country where after you did your time, it was considered that you had paid your "dues" and would work back into society. Jails were used for rehabilitation so when you came out you were supposed to be ready to reintegrate into life. It seems like we have become a country of where there is no way to "pay your dues". When you get out, you are still a felon and most companies will no longer give you a chance to prove yourself. Yes some fail, but not all. Not anymore, now you don't have a chance. Screw up once and you might as well hang it up, a felon forever until you die, with no hope for fitting back in no matter how dearly you want to or how hard you try or what ever you do to prove yourself fit.

Granted there are some that can or will never fit back in, but...

Yep, what a great society we have become.

rci2950
02-26-2014, 03:29 PM
Is that how you got a snubnose living in Canada?

I don't own any firearms.

O.S.O.K.
02-26-2014, 04:02 PM
There was a time in this country where after you did your time, it was considered that you had paid your "dues" and would work back into society. Jails were used for rehabilitation so when you came out you were supposed to be ready to reintegrate into life. It seems like we have become a country of where there is no way to "pay your dues". When you get out, you are still a felon and most companies will no longer give you a chance to prove yourself. Yes some fail, but not all. Not anymore, now you don't have a chance. Screw up once and you might as well hang it up, a felon forever until you die, with no hope for fitting back in no matter how dearly you want to or how hard you try or what ever you do to prove yourself fit.

Granted there are some that can or will never fit back in, but...

Yep, what a great society we have become.

What are you talking about? All's he has to do is get a law degree and pass the bar. There are a bunch of lib lawyers that have felony records :lol: It's almost required!

studmuffin
02-26-2014, 06:50 PM
I never had a problem with the OP, so it's no skin off my back. Sorry to hear about your setback, not knowing all the details. Your intentions and attitude some proper......................so welcome back and good luck.

rktman
02-26-2014, 06:59 PM
What are you talking about? All's he has to do is get a law degree and pass the bar. There are a bunch of lib lawyers that have felony records :lol: It's almost required!

Sad but so true.

imanaknut
02-26-2014, 07:24 PM

:lool: :thumbspbig: :read::joker::clap::lol2: :lol: :thumbsup:

LAGC
02-27-2014, 12:36 AM
It just struck me. FAGC said that he plans on college and trying to get a good job. But I don't recall ever seeing a job that required a college degree that didn't dis-allow a person for having a felony on their record.

You'd actually be surprised. Many employers don't go back more than 7 years, and even if they do, only discriminate if the crime directly relates to the job at hand. Quite a few ex-cons have testified that employers are more interested not in what you did, but what you have overcome since being released back into society.

I'm thinking by the time I start applying for serious jobs, it will be over 10 years since my last conviction, with a pretty steady work history while going to school. I'm sure I'll get some rejections, but the MLS (Medical Laboratory Science) degree I'm pursuing is in really high demand for the foreseeable future, so I'm thinking quite a few employers will overlook a couple distant blemishes, if I've got the skill-set they need.

gpwasr10
02-27-2014, 02:39 PM
Nobody cares.

I do; the man served his time. If the point of prison is rehabilitation than if the state sees fit to free him of his bonds back into society than he must be rehabilitated. If this is not the case than what is he doing out? If the point is not rehabilitation then what is the point of a sentance. Why not just put them all in for life, or to the sword?

This is a very hypicritical thing the gov does, and it's wrong.

Krupski
02-27-2014, 02:43 PM

Sorry to hear it. Funny thing is, they are denying you and the only thing making it "stick" is your decision to obey the law (which implies that you are not a danger and should have your rights restored).

That suck.... 5 more years. Is there any way you can appeal or ask for another hearing sooner than 5 years?

Krupski
02-27-2014, 02:50 PM
Nobody cares.

Sorry, I disagree. If someone gets in trouble, they owe society a debt. The debt is paid (i.e. prison time or community service). After the debt is paid, the issue should be closed.

Does anyone think that a VIOLENT felon is going to <snicker-giggle> OBEY THE LAW and keep their hands off guns?

Only the law abiding will obey the law and they are PRECISELY the ones you don't have to worry about.

Nowadays, everything is a felony. Eat a vanilla ice cream cone in Bumfuck, Idaho between the hours of 0300 and 0330 on Sunday while walking backwards on the western side of the street and you are charged with a felony.

Not quite the same thing as felony murder. Yet both are called "felons" and that is wrong.

Krupski
02-27-2014, 02:51 PM
I do; the man served his time. If the point of prison is rehabilitation than if the state sees fit to free him of his bonds back into society than he must be rehabilitated. If this is not the case than what is he doing out? If the point is not rehabilitation then what is the point of a sentance. Why not just put them all in for life, or to the sword?

This is a very hypicritical thing the gov does, and it's wrong.

Agree completely.