PDA

View Full Version : Interesting take on shtf..

Altarboy
03-01-2014, 01:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eym4PwHmUvI

At about 55 min., I learned that you can drain a car radiator for drinking water-but you have to filter it first. Yikes.

Schuetzenman
03-01-2014, 03:29 PM
Seen it when it was on TV. The lead guy is a wussy. Any man that has that little in firearms and ammo is not discharging his responsibility to be the family protector.

Altarboy
03-01-2014, 03:43 PM
Well, and then he made fun of the dead guy in the Durango who had a gun-"this guy fancys himself something of a cowboy". Jeez. Otherwise, it's not a bad documentary.

Schuetzenman
03-01-2014, 05:18 PM
Well, and then he made fun of the dead guy in the Durango who had a gun-"this guy fancys himself something of a cowboy". Jeez. Otherwise, it's not a bad documentary.

I found it highly unrealistic in that there were so few armed people and he and his family made it so long unarmed for the most part. I think they'd of been killed and their gear taken before they left the city let alone afterwards. But this is TV and it is what it is, make believe.

rci2950
03-01-2014, 06:08 PM
I found it highly unrealistic in that there were so few armed people and he and his family made it so long unarmed for the most part. I think they'd of been killed and their gear taken before they left the city let alone afterwards. But this is TV and it is what it is, make believe.

This is a little bit of the loony left getting involved. They got to get the propaganda in there.

Schuetzenman
03-01-2014, 06:12 PM
This is a little bit of the loony left getting involved. They got to get the propaganda in there.

Yep.

coppertales
03-01-2014, 07:33 PM
Uh, anti freeze is a bit poisionous unless you are not running any in your cooling system. That is not advised as the anti freeze lubs the water pump and reduces corrosion....chris3

Altarboy
03-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Not to mention lead found in older radiators.

miketx
03-01-2014, 10:20 PM
The ingredient in anti freeze is called ethylene glycol. Poison.

Kadmos
03-02-2014, 02:31 AM
Not to mention lead found in older radiators.

Most lead would filter out pretty quickly and easily, plus small occasional doses aren't all that toxic.

In reality antifreeze isn't all that toxic, but overdo it and yeah, it'll kill you.

Not sure if this is the same film, but I remember seeing one where they were drinking something along those lines and were filtering it out with a old style cast iron indoor radiator hooked up in the background.

These films always seem to forget water heaters and indoor radiators like that, probably dozens of gallons in most houses...at least in the early days

BISHOP
03-02-2014, 10:11 AM
In reality antifreeze isn't all that toxic, but overdo it and yeah, it'll kill you.

REALLY???? Go drink a CUP. Its toxic and will kill you.
The thing around here is assholes will leave a regular size bowl of antifreeze out and let stray dogs drink it...dead dog. Its sweet tasting and children will drink it too.

Real simple, don't drink anything out of a car's engine.

BISHOP

L1A1Rocker
03-02-2014, 11:02 AM
Anti freeze is VERY toxic even in small quantities. Does anyone recall the children in the US getting sick and some dieing from glycal poisoning? It was tracked back to Chines toothpaste where they decided that glycal wasn't too toxic to use as a flavoring in their toothpaste. DO NOT ingest even small amounts.

El Jefe
03-02-2014, 01:11 PM
Most lead would filter out pretty quickly and easily, plus small occasional doses aren't all that toxic.

Not sure if this is the same film, but I remember seeing one where they were drinking something along those lines and were filtering it out with a old style cast iron indoor radiator hooked up in the background.

These films always seem to forget water heaters and indoor radiators like that, probably dozens of gallons in most houses...at least in the early days

It will destroy your kidneys in short order.

El Laton Caliente
03-02-2014, 01:56 PM

1,2-Ethanediol 107-21-1
Ingestion hazard. Ingestion may include inebriation, naus ea and vomiting, metabolic acidosis, and CNS depression.
Cardiopulmonary effects including tachycardia, hypertension, severe metabolic acidosis with hyperventilation, hypo•ia,
congestive heart failure and adult respiratory distress syndrome, as well as, renal failure are also possible. May also
produce a local irritation effect on the digestive system, and cause pain and bleeding. Irritation of the eyes and respiratory
system. Effects of eye irritation are reversible. High aerosol concentrations may cause respiratory irritation. Mildly irritating
to the skin but not a skin sensitizer. Not a skin absorption hazard.

Diethylene glycol 111-46-6
This substance may cause effects on the central nervous system, liver and kidneys.

ngestion
Ingestion may include inebriation, nausea and vomiting, metabolic acidosis, and CNS depression. Cardiopulmonary effects
including tachycardia, hypertension, severe metabolic acidosis with hyperventilation, hypo•ia, congestive heart failure and adult respiratory distress syndrome, as well as, renal failure are also possible. May also produce a local irritation effect on
the digestive system, and cause pain and bleeding.

http://www.ppe.com/msds/Ethylene%20Glycol.pdf

Drinking about a quarter to half a cup will kill you. Dogs like the sweet flavor and die from drinking it. Never drain a radiator and leave the drain pan accessible to your dog. People kill other people's and stray dogs and guard dogs with it all the time.

Some of the new enviro-friendly antifreezes are much less toxic, but I would not chance what someone else has poured into their radiator. The best outcome from drinking automotive radiator water would likely be sever dysentery and vomiting resulting in an even more dehydrated state.

Kadmos
03-02-2014, 01:56 PM
REALLY????

Yes really. People used to add it in wine production to give it a sweeter taste without having to age the wine. Same for Vodka and other hard liquors.

I'm not advocating anyone to actually drink the stuff, but it's toxicity level is actually pretty low. The effects have been a bit overblown.

If you're working on your car and a bit splashes into your mouth, you aren't going to die from it.

The bigger problem was dogs would lick up a spill of it like someone slathered peanut butter on the ground.

Anti freeze is VERY toxic even in small quantities. Does anyone recall the children in the US getting sick and some dieing from glycal poisoning? It was tracked back to Chines toothpaste where they decided that glycal wasn't too toxic to use as a flavoring in their toothpaste. DO NOT ingest even small amounts.

The Chinese toothpaste had Diethylene glycol, which is in fact "poisonous" not just weakly toxic like Ethylene glycol.

It was also occasionally added to wine as well ...with much more serious results.

It's also been added in various 3rd world countries to children's aspirin (syrup) to give it a sweet taste. Results were what you would expect, several hundred children died.

Had they used Ethylene glycol, rather than Diethylene glycol, it's unlikely anyone would have died by using a normal dose.

Although obviously that's not a good reason to give a kid Ethylene glycol..."here kid, drink this Ethylene glycol and be glad I didn't give you Diethylene glycol"...no, both are bad. But one is way worse.

Now antifreeze is changing to propylene glycol, which while still a bit toxic is way less toxic than Ethylene glycol...nearly harmless. Plus, it tastes like crap ;)

Dr. Gonzo GED
03-02-2014, 02:22 PM
... lead would filter out pretty quickly and easily, plus small occasional doses (OF LEAD) aren't all that toxic....
^^^^^^This explains so much...

El Jefe
03-02-2014, 02:39 PM

:rotflmbao:

Schuetzenman
03-02-2014, 02:45 PM

Oh snap! :roflmao:

btcave
03-02-2014, 02:55 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene_glycol_poisoning

Ethylene glycol has been shown to be toxic to humans[7] and is also toxic to domestic pets such as cats and dogs. A toxic dose requiring medical treatment varies but is considered more than 0.1 mL per kg body weight (mL/kg) of pure substance. That is roughly 16 mL of 50% ethylene glycol for an 80 kg adult and 4 mL for a 20 kg child. Poison control centers often use more than a lick or taste in a child or more than a mouthful in an adult as a dose requiring hospital assessment.[8]

The orally lethal dose in humans has been reported as approximately 1.4 mL/kg of pure ethylene glycol.[1] That is approximately 224 mL of 50% ethylene glycol for an 80 kg adult and 56 mL for a 20 kg child. Although survival with medical treatment has occurred with doses much higher than this, death has occurred with 30 mL of the concentrate in an adult.[9][10][11] In the EU classification of dangerous substances it is 'harmful' (Xn) while more toxic substances are classified as 'toxic' (T) or 'very toxic' (T+). The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency generally puts substances which are lethal at more than 30 g to adults in Toxicity Class III.

Ethylene glycol has a low vapor pressure; it does not evaporate readily at normal temperatures and therefore high concentrations in air or intoxication are unlikely to occur following inhalational exposures.[12] There may be a slight risk of poisoning where mists or fogs are generated, although this rarely leads to poisoning as ethylene glycol causes irritation and coughing when breathed in, alerting victims to its presence.[13] Ethylene glycol is not well absorbed through skin meaning poisoning following dermal exposure is also uncommon.

Kadmos
03-02-2014, 03:01 PM

Sorry, I'm a well educated person from a family of scientists, doctors, chemists, etc., we aren't prone to panic and overreact simply because someone typed "lead" in a red font.

Generations and generations of people vastly more intelligent than you drank water carried by lead pipes, ate off of lead plates, using lead utensils.

Did many suffer effects from doing so, yes, of course. Yet many achieved success and created wondrous advances that you nearly certainly never will.

Kadmos
03-02-2014, 03:11 PM

In the EU classification of dangerous substances it is 'harmful' (Xn) while more toxic substances are classified as 'toxic' (T) or 'very toxic' (T+). The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency generally puts substances which are lethal at more than 30 g to adults in Toxicity Class III.

Thank you.

Also from wiki

Toxicity Class III

slightly toxic
Signal Word: Caution, possibly followed by:

"Harmful if swallowed", "May be harmful if absorbed through the skin", "May be harmful if inhaled", or "May irritate eyes, nose, throat, and skin" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxicity_Class

Class IV is basically harmless

also from wiki

Ethylene glycol is only weakly toxic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene_glycol

imanaknut
03-02-2014, 04:15 PM
SHTF situation I like! With more people drinking that poison, uh, I mean life altering fluid from their radiators, it will make it easier for me to take their supplies without having to fire a shot. Yep, drink your anti-freeze and help me save my ammo!

btcave
03-02-2014, 07:05 PM
SHTF situation I like! With more people drinking that poison, uh, I mean life altering fluid from their radiators, it will make it easier for me to take their supplies without having to fire a shot. Yep, drink your anti-freeze and help me save my ammo!

I watched that video a few years ago. When I saw that in the video, I thought, "Well that's about fluking stupid.."

Dr. Gonzo GED
03-02-2014, 07:41 PM
people vastly more intelligent than you drank water carried by lead pipes, ate off of lead plates, using lead utensils.

Did many suffer effects from doing so, yes, of course. Yet many achieved success and created wondrous advances that you nearly certainly never will.

If you're going to attack someone's intelligence you might want to avoid contradicting your own argument in the process.

More evidence of heavy metal poisoning? I rest my case.

cevulirn
03-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Yes really. People used to add it in wine production to give it a sweeter taste without having to age the wine. Same for Vodka and other hard liquors.

That's because the antidote for Ethylene Glycol poisoning is ethanol....

El Jefe
03-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Sorry, I'm a well educated person from a family of scientists, doctors, chemists, etc., we aren't prone to panic and overreact simply because someone typed "lead" in a red font.

Generations and generations of people vastly more intelligent than you drank water carried by lead pipes, ate off of lead plates, using lead utensils.

Um, while astride that high horse of yours, dick, I suggest you drink a 6 oz glass of antifreeze with breakfast each morning.

As is often the case, you're wrong, and now won't walk it back, because that's against the troll code.

I'm sure one of the admins will come along and attempt to save you, but you still look like a fool in the thread. I can't figure why you do this.

Kadmos
03-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Is antifreeze safe to drink? (paraphrased)

I apologize, I see where I was mistaken

When I said..

I forgot to take into account the fact that some people on here might be complete morons and take that to mean "It's safe to drink anti-freeze".

Obviously, there are a few of you for whom I should not have given that much credit.

"Mildly-toxic" things are best not to be ingested.

"Not all that toxic" does not actually mean the same as "safe to drink".

Once again, I apologize for assuming that everyone on this board had more intelligence than a 4 year old child or a dog.

That was totally my mistake.

Just to make it once again, perfectly clear

Do not drink Anti-freeze

El Jefe
03-03-2014, 12:05 AM
Dude, everyone else knew not to drink the stuff, you were the one voicing doubt.

A coffee cup full will roach your kidneys and wreek havoc with your liver. Small amounts can do big damage.

Now you can return to talking out of both sides of your mishapened head.

Kadmos
03-03-2014, 12:30 AM
Are you sure I shouldn't drink anti-freeze? (paraphrased)

As I said, I apologize for any confusion regarding the drinking of anti-freeze.

Again, my statement that it was only weakly toxic should not be taken as a reason to attempt ingestion.

To me when someone says something "isn't all that toxic", I still understand that to mean that the substance in question is in fact toxic.

Many have said to me that I have a tendency to overestimate the intelligence of others. I have always maintained that it is impolite not to assume reasonable intelligence of all whom I meet.

However, now I see that by estimating people's, some people's that is to say, intelligence higher than it may actually be, I may be inviting injury or even disaster.

It deeply saddens me that I have potentially injured you in this manner, I shall attempt not to make that mistake in the future.

Thankfully, you remain capable of posting, which I trust means you have not ingested anti-freeze in sufficient quantity to kill yourself, or better still ingested none at all, in which case I would advise you to read the label of any substance you are about to drink, as you may find it an aid in your decisions.

If of course I am too late and you have already drunk it, I suggest seeking medical attention as soon as possible.

El Jefe
03-03-2014, 11:48 AM
As I said, I apologize for any confusion regarding the drinking of anti-freeze.

Again, my statement that it was only weakly toxic should not be taken as a reason to attempt ingestion.

To me when someone says something "isn't all that toxic", I still understand that to mean that the substance in question is in fact toxic.

Many have said to me that I have a tendency to overestimate the intelligence of others. I have always maintained that it is impolite not to assume reasonable intelligence of all whom I meet.

However, now I see that by estimating people's, some people's that is to say, intelligence higher than it may actually be, I may be inviting injury or even disaster.

It deeply saddens me that I have potentially injured you in this manner, I shall attempt not to make that mistake in the future.

Thankfully, you remain capable of posting, which I trust means you have not ingested anti-freeze in sufficient quantity to kill yourself, or better still ingested none at all, in which case I would advise you to read the label of any substance you are about to drink, as you may find it an aid in your decisions.

If of course I am too late and you have already drunk it, I suggest seeking medical attention as soon as possible.

http://s27.postimg.org/dh0ekqwb7/purse_dog_2.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

5.56NATO
03-03-2014, 12:01 PM

The bed wetters will be the first to go in shtf, either by their own hands or someone elses.

miketx
03-03-2014, 02:20 PM
. I can't figure why you do this.

Uhmmm, it's the anti-freeze.

studmuffin
03-03-2014, 02:43 PM
Fer fucks sakes DONT DRINK THE KOOLAID

gpwasr10
03-03-2014, 03:03 PM
You guys want a solid depiction of SHTF. Read "The Road".

Altarboy
03-03-2014, 03:08 PM

True, or watch Threads.

El Jefe
03-03-2014, 03:42 PM

Anything by Cormac McCarthy is worth reading.

El Jefe
03-03-2014, 03:44 PM
Uhmmm, it's the anti-freeze.

Something has to explain it.

Dr. Gonzo GED
03-03-2014, 04:41 PM
If this is your potable water source then some "S." has seriously "H.T.F.".

http://green.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/ddoe/multimedia_content/images/auto-repair-2.jpg

El Jefe
03-03-2014, 06:37 PM
The only way it makes sense to drink from a radiator is if your intent is to commit suicide.

Hell of a fucked up way to go tho.

was_peacemaker
03-04-2014, 02:29 AM
If this is your potable water source then some "S." has seriously "H.T.F.".

http://green.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/ddoe/multimedia_content/images/auto-repair-2.jpg

Umm...yeah. I will be dredging out my granny's old well before I drink that!

Sergi762
03-04-2014, 03:04 AM
As in the UK account after the Bomb hit, Threads? .
True, or watch Threads.

Krupski
03-04-2014, 07:43 AM
Seen it when it was on TV. The lead guy is a wussy. Any man that has that little in firearms and ammo is not discharging his responsibility to be the family protector.

The unarmed and afraid consider themselves to be "more civilized".

Krupski
03-04-2014, 07:46 AM
At about 55 min., I learned that you can drain a car radiator for drinking water-but you have to filter it first. Yikes.

Ethylene glycol antifreeze is horribly toxic and cannot be separated out of radiator coolant by "filtering".

Krupski
03-04-2014, 07:50 AM
That's because the antidote for Ethylene Glycol poisoning is ethanol....

I once saw on a TV show where a woman brought her dog to the vet for glycol poisoning. They didn't have any ethanol on hand, so the woman ran out and bought some vodka. They ran it into the dog IV and saved him.

Altarboy
03-04-2014, 07:52 AM
Yes, that's the one.

was_peacemaker
03-04-2014, 08:09 AM
Ethylene glycol antifreeze is horribly toxic and cannot be separated out of radiator coolant by "filtering".

But its one of the main ingredients in my E-cig fluid. LOL

RogerLee
03-04-2014, 11:15 AM

propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin are the main ingredients in my vaping ejuice.

Krupski
03-04-2014, 11:31 AM

No it's not. You are thinking of PROPYLENE glycol.

The difference is an extra carbon atom and two extra hydrogen atoms. Makes a big difference.

For example, ETHANOL (C2H5OH) makes you drunk. Remove one C and two H and you get CH3OH (methanol) which makes you blind, then dead.

Or take carbon and nitrogen. Both no big deal, right? But stick them together and you get the CN group (cyanide).