PDA

View Full Version : SHTF All-Disaster-Resistant Underground Retreat for Only $50K a Person!

LAGC
09-25-2010, 02:00 AM
Popular Science magazine had an interesting article in its latest (October) issue:

To reach the world’s first everything-proof underground luxury community, I drive east out of Barstow, California, 50 or so miles into the Mojave Desert, then turn down an unmarked gravel road, park in a barren lot surrounded by razor wire, enter what appears to be a small cinderblock garage, and walk down two steep flights of reinforced-concrete stairs, at which point the project’s enthusiastic promoter, Robert Vicino, greets me with an outstretched hand, slams a 3,000-pound blast door behind us, and asks this question: “Do you have a family?”

Then: Do I have life insurance? Would I like to have 10 times the life insurance I already have? Would I like to have something even better? Because I can. The structure in which we are now standing was built by AT&T in 1965 to protect telephone infrastructure from a nuclear attack, but now it can protect something far more important: me and my loved ones. For just $50,000 each—half off for kids—I can buy a fractional share of the Terra Vivos underground shelter network, a project that will include at least 19 more “community bunkers,” each of them located within 150 to 200 miles of a major American city. Terra Vivos is a concrete-and-steel solution to the end times, whether brought about by climate change or nuclear war or even an unavoidable realignment of the cosmic order. Wherever I happen to be at that terrible moment, I’ll have a place to live the morning after. “I’m not selling life insurance,” Vicino explains. “I’m providing life assurance.”

The physical specifications required to assure life are striking. The Barstow bunker was built to withstand a 50-megaton nuclear blast 10 miles away, 450mph winds, a magnitude-10 earthquake, 10 days of 1,250°F surface fires, and three weeks beneath any flood. Vicino says that a soon-to-be-installed air-filtration system will also neutralize any biological, chemical or nuclear attacks. The Barstow branch will stock enough food and clothing to sustain 135 people for at least a year, and in a lifestyle that Vicino describes as compact but luxurious, like being on a cruise ship. Getting on board requires a $5,000 deposit, he says, to be held in escrow until the bunker is ready to move into, at which point the remainder is due. As of August, several hundred people had put their money down for a spot in one of his bunkers, he says; 75 for Barstow thus far.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-09/can-you-save-house-end-world

Pretty interesting idea. I assume you can't live there until SHTF, but really what good will money be in such a scenario anyway? $50K seems quite cheap for such comfort, even if kinda cramped. Some interior shots:

http://www.popsci.com/files/imagecache/article_image_large/articles/entertainmentcenter.jpg

http://www.popsci.com/files/imagecache/article_image_large/articles/bedroom.jpg

El Jefe
09-25-2010, 08:12 AM
First off, we have forums for posts of this sort. Figure it out moron. And secondly, the odds of you coming up with the funds needed, legally, are slim to none.

mriddick
09-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Interesting concept, although I bet having 135 people thrown together like that in such an emergency that would require such living would be an interesting case study just waiting to happen in it's own right. I could see 135 going down the tube and 50 coming out a year later...

ATAK, Inc.
09-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Interesting concept, although I bet having 135 people thrown together like that in such an emergency that would require such living would be an interesting case study just waiting to happen in it's own right. I could see 135 going down the tube and 50 coming out a year later...

If its a year later, it would be at least 75 coming out, you would have at least 25 babies by then!;)

HDR
09-25-2010, 11:09 AM

Call it a well stocked larder with meat that won't spoil and will lose fat content..

:lool:

American Rage
09-25-2010, 11:09 AM
First off, we have forums for posts of this sort. Figure it out moron. And secondly, the odds of you coming up with the funds needed, legally, are slim to none.

+10

Rage

raxar
09-25-2010, 11:11 AM
anyone ever play "fall out"

If its a year later, it would be at least 75 coming out, you would have at least 25 babies by then!;)

unless they have an incredibly well stocked library (movies and video games too) it's going to be a lot more than 25

LAGC
09-25-2010, 09:52 PM
First off, we have forums for posts of this sort. Figure it out moron.

My bad, I should have posted this in the Survival forum. Maybe the mods can move it? I'll ask.

Thanks for pointing that out. :wavey:

imanaknut
09-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Moved per request.