PDA

View Full Version : Who just released their new AR .22? - note the price!

Gunreference1
09-25-2010, 04:28 AM
http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/09/robert-farago/mossberg-unveils-276-tactical-22/

Steve

Poster's Note: I couldn't find anything yet listed on the Mossberg or Mossberg International websites describing this rifle.

Helen Keller
09-25-2010, 06:03 AM
proprietary mag setup

Meh............

They should go back to making thier old models of 22's again.

Gunreference1
09-25-2010, 06:29 AM
The new Tactical .22 from Mossberg uses the same action as the Model 702 Plinkster. This was originally the Magtech 7022 and are made in Brazil. I don't know of anyone making anything larger than the factory 10-round magazine for this application.

Steve

Sidartha
09-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Didn't there used to be a conversion kit for the AR-15 to allow it to shoot .22lr?
I don't see the value in buying a completely separate gun if the conversion works.
So what happened? Is there something about the conversion that I don't know about?

Gunreference1
09-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Didn't there used to be a conversion kit for the AR-15 to allow it to shoot .22lr?
I don't see the value in buying a completely separate gun if the conversion works.
So what happened? Is there something about the conversion that I don't know about?

Companies like CMMG & Ceiner still offer conversion kits for AR-type rifles. But there is definitely a group of people willing to buy a separate AR-style rifle specifically chambered in .22 LR. Companies like Colt, S&W, Ruger and others are finding this to be a popular niche market. It looks like Mossberg is the latest entry into this segment of the Black Rifle world.

Steve

El Jefe
09-25-2010, 03:33 PM

You're going to end up with a lot of cash tied up in a .22 by going that route. Plus the trouble of changing back and forth.

I wish we knew how dependable this little Mossberg is, I may have to take a flyer on one and find out. :)

El Jefe
09-25-2010, 03:47 PM
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/69670-1.html

shadow65
10-08-2010, 09:41 AM
You're going to end up with a lot of cash tied up in a .22 by going that route. Plus the trouble of changing back and forth.

I wish we knew how dependable this little Mossberg is, I may have to take a flyer on one and find out. :)

I'm not following you here. CMMG conversion in parkerized is about $160 and a stainless is about $200, less if you google and find them on sale.
No trouble changing them out. Pull the 5.56 bolt, drop the .22 in. When you finish shooting .22, I run a Boresnake down the barrel a couple times, run 5 rounds of 5.56 through it and clean when I get home.
The biggest difference between a conversion kit and a dedicated upper is the accuracy.
A kit will five you, depending on barrel twist, about 3" at 50 yards. 1/9 twist.
My CMMG stock barrelled upper will give me 1" at 50 yards, 1/16 twist.
You do have to by a .22 mag.
CMMG has the most reliable kits I have used. My conversion has well over 1000 rounds through it using 4 different AR's from 7.5"-16"
My CMMG dedicated upper has over 3800 rounds failure free down it.(I had 1 FTE when it got extremly dirty)
I always recommend the stainless version. No breakin. Smooth as butter, live round extraction, several up graders available including forward assist and true bolt hold open.

What you have to watch with these "cheap" .22's coming from Colt, S & W, now Mossberg, is how much plastic and pot metal is used in them.
I've read reviews on the S & W which has a polymer upper and severe accuracy problems because of flex.
Colt(only by name) has a cheap metal lower which I have seen crack.
The CMMG uses real AR uppers and lowers. I can take my .22 upper off, slap on a 5.56 upper and am ready to go.
CMMG has complete uppers starting at $350. Complete rifles starting at $550.

shadow65
10-10-2010, 10:26 AM
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/69670-1.html

Got to love the review. "I mostly just bought it to shoot cans between 100-400 yards, and this little plinker is PERFECT for that!" Really? 400 yards and hit a can with a .22?

awp101
10-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Got to love the review. "I mostly just bought it to shoot cans between 100-400 yards, and this little plinker is PERFECT for that!" Really? 400 yards and hit a can with a .22?

Let's just say that sometimes certain folks spend more time selling firearms as opposed to actually shooting them...;)

O.S.O.K.
10-10-2010, 01:07 PM
I too chose the conversion route - made more sense to me too.

The only thing gained by the dedicated .22LR AR is accuracy. 2" groups at 50 yards vs 4 or 5" groups with a conversion.

And Mossberg should have made these to accept Black Dog mags - fools.

shadow65
10-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Let's just say that sometimes certain folks spend more time selling firearms as opposed to actually shooting them...;)

Thats the reason I'm such a fan of the .22 AR's and conversions. I now shoot an average of 500 rounds a week. When I was shooting 5.56 I might get in 200 rounds a month. I just couldn't aford it.

I started using these while on the E.R.T. with the PD. I set it up just like my work rifle. Same muscle memory, same trigger because I used my 5.56 lower, same optic.
Everything we did was inside 50 yards and the .22 did just fine for that.
Recoil was the only thing missing.

Now it's more for fun. And it's a lot of fun when you have a reliable set up.

Schuetzenman
10-11-2010, 10:26 PM

The twist in .22 lr barrels is usually 1 in 16. AR twists usually 1 in 9, could be as fast as 1 in 7. An old SP1 type with 1 in 12 would possibly do better. Next the bore dimensions for the .223 round are larger than that of the pure .22 LR barrel. So this is where the poor accuracy comes in. Lastly reports of bullet lubricant wax build up in the gast tube of weapons equipped with the drop in conversions have been reported. I personally built a dedicated upper and I had a spare full caliber AR15 lower by ... Rock River if I'm remembering right. Too unmotivated to go drag it out of the vault and look.
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/small_cropped_with_bayonet.jpg
The dedicated rifles don't need a gas tube as they operate on blow back.

Why bother with a dedicated rifle such as what I built here. Well in as much as it is using a real AR15 upper and handguard, a full size real AR15 lower, it can be quickly swapped over to full caliber. I could do it one of two ways. 1st way would be to put a regular AR15 barrel on the upper and put the hand guard back on. Then drop in a bolt group and all set to run .223 / 5.56 ammo if chambered appropriately. The other way would be quicker but more cost. That would be to have a spare full barreled upper with bolt group in it. Then it's push out the two push-pins in the receiver, lift off the .22 LR upper and drop on and reseat the pins for the full caliber upper.

I have identical sight set ups; iron and electronic on this and a full caliber AR rifle. So my rifle is a reasonable simulator / trainer for my AR carbine.

Bluntforce
10-12-2010, 02:01 AM
I don't know of anyone making anything larger than the factory 10-round magazine for this application.

Steve

S&W M&P 15-22s come with 25 rnd mags. Here are the cheapest aftermarkets I've found.

http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=19922

The S&W website sells them for slightly more.

I have a 15-22, I don't believe I'll pursue the AR platform further. I was briefly enchanted with the idea of building one because of the Zombie Defense LRs, then it occured to me I could just have a jeweler engrave any damned thing I wanted into one of my AKs.

1 Patriot-of-many
10-12-2010, 02:28 AM
I think the price point is excellent! I'm gonna have to get me one. I prefer a dedicated .22 over a conversion. I don't see it on the mossberg site, is this for real?

00RedZX-6R
10-12-2010, 10:07 AM
There is one on gunbroker. I will wait until I can find one locally. I have been wanting to get a .22 that my niece and nephew can shoot. The stock on a 10/22 is too long for them to get a good sight picture. This might callapse enough that they will be able to shoulder this. Plus, I had fun shooting my buddies S&W version.

Helen Keller
10-12-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm just over 5000 with my Stainless CMMG conversion .

have a few dedicated 22 upper sfor it BUT THe next one I'm building will be even more "compact"

shadow65
10-12-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm going to build a 6" barrelled .22 upper using CMMG's kit. I had a Spikes 5.5" that never ran right.
I've run my conversion in my 7.5" 5.56 upper without a hitch.
.22 SBR's with a can are a hoot.

shadow65
10-12-2010, 02:32 PM
I wish the board could bring back our original post count. I feel like a new comer!

Helen Keller
10-12-2010, 04:23 PM
I have a 4" upper I shoot suppressed.

BUT I'm going to make a 2" upper with a Krink brake welded on . With a super short hand guard and another fastfire clone :D

Have a spare lower receiver . gonna make this shorty a pistol .

:googoo:

Maybe 9" overall.

shadow65
10-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Now that's short!

retcpt
10-21-2010, 12:29 AM
I think I'll stick with my conversion unit by CMMG or Spikes dedicated upper. I enjoy both, the converison unit it is in a orginal A-1 upper with it's own lower same with the Spikes upper. Of the two the Spikes is a better shooter but both are a blast to shoot, no pun intended. At least I can use the lowers for other things in the future if I feel the need.