PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Stock

Kevlar
03-08-2014, 08:32 PM
I purchased a wooden thumbhole "Dragonuv" style stock from gun broker for my Norinco NHM-91, fits good and looks good. I thought it might be a custom jober, but I removed the butplate and the initials "IW" are marked on it. Does Ironwood mark their stocks? Just curious if it's an old design. No big deal, just seen that and got to thinking.

El Laton Caliente
03-08-2014, 09:43 PM
Interesting stock, but I have no idea...

Schuetzenman
03-09-2014, 08:31 AM
I just went over Ironwood Designs web page. They show no thumbhole stocks. If it is theirs, perhaps it is an older product that they discontinued. Why don't you give them a call.

E-mail: Matt@Ironwooddesigns.com

Office Phone: (408) 269-7102

Best time to get us in the office, is between 5-7 PM Pacific

Time Mon-Thurs, ( We are in California ).

Kevlar
03-09-2014, 06:35 PM
I shot them an email, it's a long shot, just curious. I suppose it could be an "MI" instead of an "IW" if you flip it around. Anyway it fits the gun and after some refinishing she'll look nice.

Richard Simmons
03-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Looks like that are making SVD stock sets. Perhaps this is a prototype or something that ended up in the "woodpile" they have from time to time where they sell one offs, seconds, blems, etc?

Kevlar
03-09-2014, 07:42 PM
Just got a response from Matt at Ironwood:

"That was indeed, one of our very old interpretations of the Dragunov stock for std. stamped receiver AKs.Probably from the mid 90s, when we were operating manually run carving machines. Cool to see one stil alive.Don't know how many I made back then, but it was probably only a handful."

Thats awesome! Glad I asked, thanks for the advice and link Schuetzenman.

imanaknut
03-09-2014, 08:00 PM
Nice find! Also nice to have that response from Matt. I suggest you keep the email in a safe place since it validates your fairly rare stock.

Kevlar
03-09-2014, 08:17 PM
For sure. Well worth the $ and nice to know the history behind it.