PDA

View Full Version : Open letter to a culinary student

El Duce
03-09-2014, 03:58 PM
http://www.diningchicago.com/blog/2009/08/28/chef-mark-mendez-open-letter-to-a-culinary-student/

Yep. Pretty much says it all.

I remember one time I asked off for my Daughter's birthday. Boss asked how old will she be? I said Two.

Boss's response? She won't remember that you were there.

El Jefe
03-09-2014, 04:44 PM
and skip after-work drug/liquor binging

In the restaurant biz? :rofl:

El Duce
03-09-2014, 05:30 PM
In the restaurant biz? :rofl:

You would be surprised. Every day I have to deal with this shit. Can I go cash my check? I'll be right back. Who were you?

El Jefe
03-09-2014, 05:48 PM
You would be surprised. Every day I have to deal with this shit. Can I go cash my check? I'll be right back. Who were you?

You misread my intent. Getting the wife and I through college I spent some time in the biz, I've never seen such rampant debauchery! ;)

Goodman
03-09-2014, 06:39 PM
This is exactly why I never returned my admission paperwork for culinary school. I was very fortunate to see where the path led and recognized I was not cut for it at that time. Good article. It should be handed out at the front office of every school .....but where would that leave the schools???? Hehehe

Altarboy
03-09-2014, 07:54 PM
My kitchen experience consists of cooking at PoFolks, Pizza Hut, etc.., but he is certainly right about the hours and things in your life you miss. I can only imagine the pressure on an actual chef.

Schuetzenman
03-10-2014, 06:12 AM
It seems to me you have to love it, as the work and commitment required is never going to be compensated financially. Never worked in a kitchen but in the last year I have started watch the series Kitchen Nightmares. After watching that show I hesitate to eat out anywhere now and know 110% that I would never work in the restaurant industry. It has made me really scrutinize the food that is served to me in a restaurant now. Recently I was served a piece of Mahi-Mahi at a name brand chain. It smelled like ammonia, (was supposed to be "blackened") and when I cut to the center with my fork it was raw. I sent it back. The next piece was perfect.