PDA

View Full Version : Would you take the 3% chance at freedom?

mriddick
09-25-2010, 09:16 AM
LAGC's thread http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?2908-The-Score-So-Far got me thinking of a discussion I had with an antiwar protester when the war in Iraq first took place. Basically his stance was we were going to risk alot of death and destruction on the people there just give them freedom and to provide us with a slight bit more security. Rather then debate the security issue I asked him if he was in Iraq would he want to live a long life under a tyrant or take a chance of dying living under freedom?

Even if the 1 million civilian deaths is an accurate figure (doubtful) that gave the average Iraqi a 3% chance of dying under freedom. So would you take the 3% risk and have the right to vote and live under freedom or would you take the 99.9% of life chance of living under a hitler, sadam or Mao? I'm guessing in the above thread LAGC sounds like he'd live under a tyrant because in his mind he'd be one of the ruling class...

Richard Simmons
09-25-2010, 10:05 AM
I have no doubt I would take the 3% chance. Everbody dies, why not live free first, or at least make the effort to do so?

sevlex
09-25-2010, 10:17 AM
I'm guessing in the above thread LAGC sounds like he'd live under a tyrant because in his mind he'd be one of the ruling class...

That's the money quote right there.

He would be one of the "Useful Idiots". Working hard to ensure the tyrants get power because he thinks he will be one of them. Then, when the objective is achieved, he will be eliminated in the inevitable purges. It happened under the French Revolution, the Russian Revolution, Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Castro, Saddam..........

:coffee:

Sidartha
09-25-2010, 10:21 AM
I like to think that I would but so far I've been too much of a pussy to give it a go.

HDR
09-25-2010, 10:54 AM
When comes to stepping up to face death who knows what they would do?

I like to think that I would but so far I've been too much of a pussy to give it a go.

There is more to it...

During the Occupation of Germany after WWII there was a lot of German combat Veterans who lost their freedom; nor were Stalin's combat Veterans weren't exactly living in freedom either. As no one here would say a Veteran from either side of the combat at Stalingrad or Kursk would lack a set. There must be more to this joining this "3%" than there appears to be.

Sidartha
09-25-2010, 11:24 AM
What I meant was that we live under some pretty burdensome restrictions of our freedoms now and especially in Illinois.
No CCW, no Open Carry.
No suppressors, I don't think we can have SBR's but I'm not sure.
But I'm comfortable enough that I haven't had the stones to go out and risk my life for those lost freedoms.
I think my generally disagreeable attitude would cause me to stand up and fight if an overwhelming threat to my freedoms ever presented itself.

Krupski
09-25-2010, 12:03 PM
.......Basically [LAGC's] stance was we were going to risk alot of death and destruction on the people there just give them freedom.......

This assumes that the Iraqis WANT us there, which is probably a false assumption.

ATAK, Inc.
09-25-2010, 12:40 PM
To the OP, Yes, but hopefully, I would sit back some and offer fire support with my PKM and Dragunov!;)

This assumes that the Iraqis WANT us there, which is probably a false assumption.

Without any statistical evidence, your statement is invalid. I wasn't there, neither were you.

We have members here that could shed some realistic viewpoints as to the Iraqies wanting us there or not.

mriddick
09-25-2010, 12:48 PM

My son was thanked alot by the Iraqi's he met while there...

Penguin
09-25-2010, 03:31 PM
I would take that risk.

justinsaneok
09-25-2010, 05:05 PM
right on

What I meant was that we live under some pretty burdensome restrictions of our freedoms now and especially in Illinois.
No CCW, no Open Carry.
But I'm comfortable enough that I haven't had the stones to go out and risk my life for those lost freedoms.
I think my generally disagreeable attitude would cause me to stand up and fight if an overwhelming threat to my freedoms ever presented itself.

mriddick
09-25-2010, 05:22 PM
No CCW, no Open Carry.

If someone told you could have those freedoms but it might cost you and your family a 3% chance of death would you do it?

Sidartha
09-25-2010, 05:45 PM
That's what I don't know.
And I won't know until the time comes, or the Devil shows up on my doorstep and offers me that choice.
3% chance of death for a suppressor or for a concealed carry permit?
Hasn't been worth dieing over so far.
On the other hand RKBA entirely or freedom of speech or secret trials of citizens, that would be worth fighting and dieing for no question.

ETA: If given the choice of living under a Saddam style dictatorship and something more like the Western model then Hell Yea I would.