PDA

View Full Version : Angels Envy bourbon / Behike 54 cigar.

El Jefe
03-16-2014, 10:56 AM
This is my first experience with this whiskey. I've heard and read many good things about it, and I'm intrigued by the port barrel aging.

It comes in a beautiful bottle:

http://s3.postimg.org/khn7ow0f7/angels_envy_behike54_048.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

And of course the handsome in its own right, Behike-54.

http://s28.postimg.org/sug7xel8d/angels_envy_behike54_058.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

I went ahead and poured about 3 fingers of this and let it set on my desk for awhile while I prepared my cigar.

Upon the first nosing I'm a little surprised by the alcohol note. Its more pronounced than I would have guessed for an 87 proof whiskey. Beyond that the deep red wine and oak notes are obvious as are aromas of caramel and something tangy, like lime, perhaps.

First sip: the alcohol is still a bit more dominant than I like, tho the red wine and other flavors are noticeable. I went ahead and gave this a splash of water, I dunno maybe 2 tablespoons. This helped it out quite a bit. Now the wine, caramel, baking spices and tangy citrus notes can take over. Theres a really nice interchange from port to caramel, spice to sour, that is really something. Theres a lot going on here, I have to believe that this whiskeys mash bill and its aging process have gone through a lot of refinement before it made it to our store shelves. It is simply delicious!

On to the Behike. What an awesome cigar. This is as close to flawless as rolled up leaves are going to get. ;) Smooth with medium strength. Coffee and brown sugar, new leather, cured field hay*, cinnamon and or nutmeg.

The construction is flawless. Perfect draw and no burn issues. My wife informs me that this smells better than the average cigar. I agree.

Yesterday once I had the cigar going I settled into my big leather chair thats next to my desk to a read a bit. I gotta tell you, it doesn't get much better, good book in hand (Churchill by Jacob Bannister) great whiskey and one of the best cigars known. Ah, its sheer bliss!

Also, yesterday, I went out and procured two new bottles. I meant it when I said I was seriously low on good hooch. So yesterday I snagged a bottle of Eagle Rare, and a jug of Old Grand-Dad 114.

The OGD-114 I plan on pairing with a RASS. Not sure on the Eagle Rare. Perhaps a Punch DC or Montecristo.

* recent vintage fescue thats cured but not gotten musty, as its hauled out of the loft on a winters morning. It really is a very pleasant aroma. :)

TEN-32
03-16-2014, 11:16 AM
I zeroed in on your hay comment. I find this to be a signature note in Cohibas that I don't find in any other cigar. Nice whisky review, too. I'd be interested to hear your impressions of that book. I've not read it but Churchill is one of history's figures that intrigues and inspires me.

Sounds like life is very good at your house!

El Jefe
03-16-2014, 12:36 PM
I zeroed in on your hay comment. I find this to be a signature note in Cohibas that I don't find in any other cigar. Nice whisky review, too. I'd be interested to hear your impressions of that book. I've not read it but Churchill is one of history's figures that intrigues and inspires me.

I've no real complaints. :)

And yes, the cured hay aroma is really kind of neat. First time I noticed it I was really surprised by it. As a kid, I both hauled and fed a lot of hay, it has distinct smells at its various stages of development.

I'm just starting on the book, I'll comment as I get further into it. Churchill is one of my personal heroes.

El Jefe
03-29-2014, 03:27 PM

Matt, finished the Churchill book a few days ago. Its a good read and not so in depth that it ever became tedious. It explains a bit about his childhood, education and his service record. Also, and I had forgotten this, it covers his time as a war corespondent in Africa during the Boer War.

This is well worth reading, it covers his triumphs and failures, all the while being properly respectful.

TEN-32
03-29-2014, 06:08 PM
Matt, finished the Churchill book a few days ago. Its a good read and not so in depth that it ever became tedious. It explains a bit about his childhood, education and his service record. Also, and I had forgotten this, it covers his time as a war corespondent in Africa during the Boer War.

This is well worth reading, it covers his triumphs and failures, all the while being properly respectful.
Thanks for the update. I looked for it on Kindle but not there. I'll check the library.

El Jefe
03-29-2014, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the update. I looked for it on Kindle but not there. I'll check the library.

Thats where I got it, on Amazon.

TEN-32
03-29-2014, 06:20 PM

OK...I now have it but it says my app does not support digital purchases. TOO MUCH TECHNOLOGY! I just got a new phone...

TEN-32
03-29-2014, 06:31 PM

OK...got it figured out. Rick, you might like this title;

http://www.amazon.com/Target-Patton-Assassinate-General-George-ebook/dp/B00C0JE8DO/ref=sr_1_9?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1396135786&sr=1-9&keywords=patton

El Jefe
03-29-2014, 06:37 PM
OK...got it figured out. Rick, you might like this title;

http://www.amazon.com/Target-Patton-Assassinate-General-George-ebook/dp/B00C0JE8DO/ref=sr_1_9?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1396135786&sr=1-9&keywords=patton

Hell yeah, I pulled the trigger on it. Patton was my kind of guy. :)

Old Blood & Guts!

El Jefe
03-29-2014, 06:38 PM
OK...I now have it but it says my app does not support digital purchases. TOO MUCH TECHNOLOGY! I just got a new phone...

:embarrassed: