PDA

View Full Version : Bourbon.

El Jefe
03-19-2014, 11:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzh_RH7rW4k#t=2205

ready
03-20-2014, 10:10 PM
I know I haven't found the perfect bourbon. I always end up cutting it. Just bought some EW single barrel and it's going to have to be mixed with some ginger ale.

It's just like cigars, I need to figure out what I like.

Durangokid
03-20-2014, 11:43 PM
Nice post. It is helpful to know that a little of America exist in this societal decline.

El Jefe
03-21-2014, 08:44 AM
I know I haven't found the perfect bourbon. I always end up cutting it. Just bought some EW single barrel and it's going to have to be mixed with some ginger ale.

That Evan Williams SB is pretty smooth, Ready. Instead of confusing the flavors with a mixer, try a splash of water or an ice cube or two. In that way you're only tasting whiskey, but the ethanol burn is blunted. :)

El Jefe
03-21-2014, 08:48 AM
Nice post. It is helpful to know that a little of America exist in this societal decline.

Out here in the hinterlands (areas the NSA doesn't care about, yet) things are much the same as they were 50 years ago.

mrkalashnikov
03-21-2014, 09:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzh_RH7rW4k#t=2205

Believe it or not I'm going to be at the Buffalo Trace distillery this coming May. My oldest friend's daughter is having her wedding reception held there! Just got the invite in the mail this past week, though my pal had already told me it probably would be the locale. We just made hotel reservations for that weekend in beautiful Frankfort, KY.

I'll have to make a full "debreif" for the Humidor on my return. :boozer: :boozer:

El Jefe
03-21-2014, 09:30 AM
Believe it or not I'm going to be at the Buffalo Trace distillery this coming May. My oldest friend's daughter is having her wedding reception held there! Just got the invite in the mail this past week, though my pal had already told me it probably would be the locale. We just made hotel reservations for that weekend in beautiful Frankfort, KY.

I'll have to make a full "debreif" for the Humidor on my return. :boozer: :boozer:

Thats cool as hell! Make sure to take your camera! ;)

mrkalashnikov
03-21-2014, 09:33 AM
Thats cool as hell! Make sure to take your camera! ;)

I got the wife a new digital camera for Xmas. I'll make sure she gets some good shots or I'll show that woman my pimp hand!

CigarGuy
03-21-2014, 10:05 AM
That Evan Williams SB is pretty smooth, Ready. Instead of confusing the flavors with a mixer, try a splash of water or an ice cube or two. In that way you're only tasting whiskey, but the ethanol burn is blunted. :)

What is this ethanol burn of which you speak. It all tastes smooooooth to me.......;)

Durangokid
03-21-2014, 10:09 AM
It is interesting. Bourbon was declared dead just a few years ago. Now with the revival of the small pre-prohibition "Pot" stills it is becoming popular again. My current favorite is Woodford Reserve Double Oak. As Jefferson posted a few drops of water is all that should be added to a Premium whisky. Adding soft drinks to whisky goes back to the Horrible whisky of the 1930s.

El Jefe
03-21-2014, 10:19 AM
What is this ethanol burn of which you speak. It all tastes smooooooth to me.......;)

Stan, I recently acquired a bottle of Old Grand Dad - 114. Amazingly smooth for something so strong.

I find just a tad bit of water allows one to taste the more subtle flavors in a whiskey, flavors that otherwise would be obliterated by the ethanol. Ethanol has a negative effect on our taste buds, it numbs them and then past that one is merely drinking.

El Jefe
03-21-2014, 10:22 AM
It is interesting. Bourbon was declared dead just a few years ago. Now with the revival of the small pre-prohibition "Pot" stills it is becoming popular again. My current favorite is Woodford Reserve Double Oak. As Jefferson posted a few drops of water is all that should be added to a Premium whisky. Adding soft drinks to whisky goes back to the Horrible whisky of the 1930s.

A lot of pressure on the bourbon producers right now. In just the past few years I've watched Elijah Craig go from $21 per 5th to $28 per as of this past week. All of the positive reviews some whiskeys are receiving is costing us money.

Pat Garrett
03-21-2014, 11:43 AM
I still haven't found the perfect one yet, but "Eagle Rare" is damn good. For that matter, Wild Turkey 101 is still excellent. And with "The Turkey" you're paying for the whiskey, rather than the name.

El Jefe
03-21-2014, 12:36 PM
I still haven't found the perfect one yet, but "Eagle Rare" is damn good. For that matter, Wild Turkey 101 is still excellent. And with "The Turkey" you're paying for the whiskey, rather than the name.

Yes, Eagle Rare is excellent. Wild Turkey was the first bourbon I drank on a regular basis. Started in on that in the late 70's. Also, in those days, Crown Royal was very popular in my crowd. I haven't tasted either in years.

ready
03-21-2014, 02:08 PM

I did let some ice melt in it. I'll try a little more water.

My wife just got me these whiskey rocks. Theyre basically square pieces of granite you put in the freezer to chill your drinks without watering them down.

El Jefe
03-21-2014, 02:38 PM
I did let some ice melt in it. I'll try a little more water.

My wife just got me these whiskey rocks. Theyre basically square pieces of granite you put in the freezer to chill your drinks without watering them down.

I highly recommend these: http://www.amazon.com/Tovolo-King-Cube-Ice-Trays/dp/B00395I60E/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1395430594&sr=8-6&keywords=ice+trays+silicone

You could also try some 80 proof juice till your palate acclimates.

Pat Garrett
03-21-2014, 05:21 PM
I've tried V.O., Canadian Club, Crown Royal, etc. But for a blended whiskey, I've settled now on "Pendleton." Good flavor, and IMHO smoother than crown.

But a good bourbon is hard to beat. Maker's Mark, Woodford, Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace.

BTW, do any of you subscribe to "Whiskey Advocate?" It's a good read.:thumbspbig:

TEN-32
03-21-2014, 07:51 PM

Dear God its a good thing we're here for you brother. Splash of water, no ice. That Evan vintage (which year do you have?) is fabulous bourbon. NOT FOR MIXING friend! Buy Jack Daniels for mixing...

ready
03-21-2014, 08:17 PM
2004. Copy that. I'll try water, no ice.

TEN-32
03-21-2014, 08:45 PM

Ah, the new one. Just released. I haven't had it yet. Lucky bastage!

El Jefe
03-21-2014, 09:39 PM

Don't let the philistines deter you from honest ice. Goddam commies!!! ;)

El Jefe
03-21-2014, 09:41 PM

Um, ice is far, far better than soda pop! Ugh!

TEN-32
03-22-2014, 05:15 AM

Um, ice is far, far better than soda pop! Ugh!

Ice is for tea. :bigsmilebounce:

CigarGuy
03-22-2014, 08:15 AM
Stan, I recently acquired a bottle of Old Grand Dad - 114. Amazingly smooth for something so strong.

I find just a tad bit of water allows one to taste the more subtle flavors in a whiskey, flavors that otherwise would be obliterated by the ethanol. Ethanol has a negative effect on our taste buds, it numbs them and then past that one is merely drinking.

Couldn't agree more about the OGD114. Always in the rotation and a "bargain" these days.

CigarGuy
03-22-2014, 08:20 AM
Ice is for tea. :bigsmilebounce:
Preach to me, brother!
Since Rick pushed me over the edge on this "hobby", I have always drank it neat, in a Glencairn "nose" glass.(Helps to have
a small nose!). And, as a surprise to none, now prefer the ABV to be 50+. I WILL proof down a barrel strenght at times,
just to pick up the different flavours, but the burn doesn't bother me(says the guy who drinks hot sauce from the bottle)

Pat Garrett
03-22-2014, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=TEN-32;355968]Ice is for tea. :bigsmilebounce:[/QUOTE

Negative!

Ice is for water.

Milk and sugar (or a good rum) are for tea.

FunkyPertwee
03-22-2014, 12:42 PM
"Ice is for tea. :bigsmilebounce:"

Negative!

Ice is for water.

Milk and sugar (or a good rum) are for tea.

When its hot as shit and 100% humidity, you'll want your tea with ice and sugar.

Load it up with enough ice to water it down as it melts and its the perfect drink for working outside. I cut it with lemonade or plain water if I've had enough caffeine already.