PDA

View Full Version : Nazi Walther P-38

ltorlo64
03-29-2014, 12:33 PM
Here is the Walther P-38 I picked up on Tuesday. It was manufactured by Walther in 1942. The slide and frame are matched, but the barrel is force matched. Each major item, frame, slide and barrel are marked with a serial number, that is how I can tell that the barrel is not matched. I have not cleaned it yet and it is covered in cosmoline. I checked the barrel and the rifling looks very crisp, even with all the cosmoline inside it. There are Nazi inspection marks on the slide and frame, though I have not found any on the barrel. I am trying to figure out a way to get a good picture of them. Here are some pictures.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/550/medium/100_1752.JPG
This picture shows the model P-38, manufacturer (AC = Walther) above the year of manufacture (1942).

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/550/medium/100_1753.JPG
This side shows the Nazi inspection markings just before the serrations on the slide. They are Nazi eagles above the inspectors number. When I blow the picture up they show up pretty well. I just can't figure out how to save the blown up picture. When I do I will post it.

FunkyPertwee
03-29-2014, 12:39 PM
What a sweet looking gun!

I love the way those brown bakelite grips look on it.

That could be a family heirloom piece.

l921428x
03-29-2014, 01:07 PM
Man that is nice. A real piece of history. You have to wonder who made it, carried it, etc, etc.....
You said they were pretty much gone when you ordered yours, right?

Quick q. You married?
Just askin cause that looks like a nice piece of fabric
to be laying a greasy gun on.

ltorlo64
03-29-2014, 03:24 PM
Man that is nice. A real piece of history. You have to wonder who made it, carried it, etc, etc.....
You said they were pretty much gone when you ordered yours, right?

Quick q. You married?
Just askin cause that looks like a nice piece of fabric
to be laying a greasy gun on.

I bought it from J&G Sales (http://www.jgsales.com/walther-p38-wwii-nazi-semi-auto-pistol,-9mm,-very-good,-used.-p-57897.html). They still have them, just not manufactured by Walther, which was what I wanted. They still have Mauser and Speerwerks made pistols.

I am married, don't tell my wife I laid the gun on her bedspread to take the picture! Actually it is the internal surfaces and moving parts that are covered in cosmoline, not the outside. Though every time I handle the pistol my hands smell like cosmoline. I really need to give it a good cleaning before I shoot it but I can set it on things without it getting cosmoline on stuff.

MJ1
03-29-2014, 04:21 PM
Don't use the flash will help. Try natural but indirect lighting and a tri-pod and the timer. Nice P38

ltorlo64
03-29-2014, 04:35 PM
Don't use the flash will help. Try natural but indirect lighting and a tri-pod and the timer. Nice P38

You are where I think I am starting to go. The holster would be great but the Mauser would give me US and German arms from WWII. Do you have the Japanese as well? I am toying with the idea of finding a Nambu pistol.

Aggressive Perfector
03-29-2014, 05:01 PM
Looks like a very nice piece Itorlo!

FunkyPertwee
03-29-2014, 05:11 PM
You are where I think I am starting to go. The holster would be great but the Mauser would give me US and German arms from WWII. Do you have the Japanese as well? I am toying with the idea of finding a Nambu pistol.

I think thats a Gewehr 43 he has pictured there.

ltorlo64
03-29-2014, 05:29 PM
I think thats a Gewehr 43 he has pictured there.

I didn't take a good look at it and thought I saw a bolt action. If I had looked for more than half a second it is obvious that it is not a bolt action rifle. I hate being stupid in a public place! That said, it is an even cooler rifle than I had originally thought.

FunkyPertwee
03-29-2014, 05:48 PM
I didn't take a good look at it and thought I saw a bolt action. If I had looked for more than half a second it is obvious that it is not a bolt action rifle. I hate being stupid in a public place! That said, it is an even cooler rifle than I had originally thought.

I didn't think it was stupid.

I had to look up "gewehr" to remind my self how to spell it and what number came after it.

MJ1
03-29-2014, 07:14 PM
I comment was about lighting and blurring from hand shake. I use a 12 year old Fuji 2600z that can be found used for $50. Garage sale tripod $5. No flash and indirect light? Well I have a covered porch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/IMG_4053a_zps927919e4.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/montereyjack/media/IMG_4053a_zps927919e4.jpg.html)

ltorlo64
03-29-2014, 07:46 PM
I comment was about lighting and blurring from hand shake. I use a 12 year old Fuji 2600z that can be found used for $50. Garage sale tripod $5. No flash and indirect light? Well I have a covered porch.

What revolver is that? The Webley break action revolver that the British used is on my wish list.

I should look into a tripod. The indirect lighting makes sense, I just didn't think the tripod made that much difference.

vit
03-29-2014, 11:32 PM
Very nice P38. Looks to be Russian capture - I want one for a shooter.
The revolver above is Nagant model 1895.
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/uzvslbu/Nagants/003_zpsb2e0395e.jpg

l921428x
03-29-2014, 11:51 PM
Don't worry I will not tell her, but the smell may give you away. Is that a metal scabbard in post #5?
A left hand sumpin.........

Durangokid
03-30-2014, 08:34 AM
This is the rare "Papa" Nambu. Forced matching numbers? That is a PC word for a mis-matched pistol. It does greatly reduce the value of any collectible firearm.

ltorlo64
03-30-2014, 10:27 AM
This is the rare "Papa" Nambu. Forced matching numbers? That is a PC word for a mis-matched pistol. It does greatly reduce the value of any collectible firearm.

Understand about the mismatched numbers but the price I paid took that into account. It is like my Garand, arsenal refurbished, a great shooter and one that I won't mind shooting, and still has lots of history associated with it. For what I want, it is perfect.

That is a nice Nambu. Based on the picture I would say it is yours?

MJ1
03-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Even the steady hand will shake the camera and at slow shutter speeds and macro setting you will loose detail. Check yard sales and you can find tripods cheap like $5.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/IMG_4505_zpsbc5a86f5.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/montereyjack/media/IMG_4505_zpsbc5a86f5.jpg.html)

Justin
03-30-2014, 01:03 PM
That is a beautiful P-38 brother. It brings a tear to my eye, because my grandfather used to own one back in the 1980's. He told me that it had waffen ss markings on it, but he sold it because he needed some money. This was before I was born. He told me that he would have given it to me, if he knew that I would have had an interest in guns. It would have been a great family heirloom.

Durangokid
03-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Yes, That Nambu was made by Tokyo Gas & Electric circa 1918. It was a captured battlefield weapon as it has it's crest in tact. The early type 38 Carbine and the Nambu were captured from an Imperial Marine on Siapan.
The Luger is a 1914 DWM 9MM added for comparison to the Nambu. These are guns from my WWII collection. Garands were seldom made with matching parts. The M-1 contractors traded parts continually during production.

ltorlo64
03-30-2014, 03:27 PM
Yes, That Nambu was made by Tokyo Gas & Electric circa 1918. It was a captured battlefield weapon as it has it's crest in tact. The early type 38 Carbine and the Nambu were captured from an Imperial Marine on Siapan.
The Luger is a 1914 DWM 9MM added for comparison to the Nambu. These are guns from my WWII collection. Garands were seldom made with matching parts. The M-1 contractors traded parts continually during production.

That is a nice collection. I have looked at Lugers, but even the civilian ones are too expensive for me. I told me Grandfather, before he died, that I would love to get my hands on one. He told me that during WWII he had possession of about 9 of them at various times but lost them all in poker games. I almost cried.