PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever noticed.......

El Jefe
03-29-2014, 02:18 PM
.......or maybe its just my imagination, but if you open a new bottle of whiskey and it seems harsh, that 6 to 12 months later it'll taste far better?

NAPOTS
03-29-2014, 03:02 PM
I have never been able to keep a bottle of whiskey around more than a week so I don't know

imanaknut
03-29-2014, 03:07 PM
What NAPOTS said, but truthfully Whisky or Whiskey depending on the manufacturer does get better with age, and if I am not mistaken there is a minimum age time before the good stuff is sold.

Funny you bring this up because just to my right is my after lunch, before dinner serving of just that very libation! :D

El Jefe
03-29-2014, 03:11 PM
What NAPOTS said, but truthfully Whisky or Whiskey depending on the manufacturer does get better with age, and if I am not mistaken there is a minimum age time before the good stuff is sold.

Funny you bring this up because just to my right is my after lunch, before dinner serving of just that very libation! :D

Barrel aging is everything, but the only thing I can guess that happens in an opened bottle is oxidation.

So, what is your hooch of choice today?

El Jefe
03-29-2014, 03:12 PM
I have never been able to keep a bottle of whiskey around more than a week so I don't know

I understand, thats why I usually buy 3 or 4 different bottles at a time. :)

imanaknut
03-29-2014, 03:36 PM
Just finished the bottle by coincidence, and it made it out to the trash (actually recycle bin) but if I remember correctly it is one of the Canadian blends. Not their cheapest, but not the most expensive. And not one that I pull out to impress friends.

You sound like me, which is why I am not sure which it was as I usually buy a few different variations at one shopping. Finished a bottle of good old Tennessee Bourbon Whiskey a couple of weeks ago that I wish I marked down which it was because it was really good. I think it was a Daniel's but wouldn't swear to it.

ready
03-29-2014, 03:37 PM
I did read that on some whiskey forum. I can't remember where I saw it though.

El Jefe
03-29-2014, 03:40 PM
Just finished the bottle by coincidence, and it made it out to the trash (actually recycle bin) but if I remember correctly it is one of the Canadian blends. Not their cheapest, but not the most expensive. And not one that I pull out to impress friends.

You sound like me, which is why I am not sure which it was as I usually buy a few different variations at one shopping. Finished a bottle of good old Tennessee Bourbon Whiskey a couple of weeks ago that I wish I marked down which it was because it was really good. I think it was a Daniel's but wouldn't swear to it.

Well lets see, it was either Jack or Dickel. Thats the only two left in Tennessee. :)

El Jefe
03-29-2014, 03:40 PM
I did read that on some whiskey forum. I can't remember where I saw it though.

Really, was there any type of consensus as to why this occurred?

imanaknut
03-29-2014, 03:45 PM
Well lets see, it was either Jack or Dickel. Thats the only two left in Tennessee. :)

Narrows it down abit then. Actually didn't know that there were only two left, but even my daughter told me that if it isn't from Tennessee it isn't real.

So let me see, did I raise her right? She loves firearms and can out-shoot many guys. She knows how to handle a sports car, as well as a Piper Archer, and can tell her dad about Tennessee Bourbon! Yep, I did good. :D

ready
03-29-2014, 04:19 PM
Really, was there any type of consensus as to why this occurred?

They chalked it up to oxidation but I don't recall any actual scientific analysis. They also said that if the bottle is left too empty for too long it could oxidize too much and lose its flavor.

Im sure it all it all depends on how well your cork seals and what your storage conditions are. Some even recommended moving it to a smaller container if you're more than half empty and plan on leaving it that way for a while.

El Jefe
03-29-2014, 04:20 PM
Narrows it down abit then. Actually didn't know that there were only two left, but even my daughter told me that if it isn't from Tennessee it isn't real.

So let me see, did I raise her right? She loves firearms and can out-shoot many guys. She knows how to handle a sports car, as well as a Piper Archer, and can tell her dad about Tennessee Bourbon! Yep, I did good. :D

Sounds like a neat kid. :)

But, personally, I prefer Kentucky and Indiana whiskey.

El Jefe
03-29-2014, 04:23 PM
They chalked it up to oxidation but I don't recall any actual scientific analysis. They also said that if the bottle is left too empty for too long it could oxidize too much and lose its flavor.

Im sure it all it all depends on how well your cork seals and what your storage conditions are. Some even recommended moving it to a smaller container if you're more than half empty and plan on leaving it that way for a while.

Yeah the oxidation was really the only thing I could think of. I've got about a 4th of a bottle of Beam Black thats been untouched in the shop for 6 or 7 years. Might go down and get that one day soon just to see what its like now.

ready
03-29-2014, 04:30 PM
I have some JW Green I opened 5 or 6 months ago that was kinda rough. I might give that another shot soon.

El Jefe
03-29-2014, 04:44 PM
I have some JW Green I opened 5 or 6 months ago that was kinda rough. I might give that another shot soon.

Let us know how it goes.

ready
03-29-2014, 04:47 PM
Will do. Gonna see some old friends in about a month so Ill break it out then with a few sticks.

El Jefe
03-29-2014, 05:06 PM
Will do. Gonna see some old friends in about a month so Ill break it out then with a few sticks.

You know I would have thought the green label JW, would have been smoother than the JW black.

ready
03-29-2014, 05:18 PM
I think my brother has a bottle of black. Ill try them together when I go over to raid his humidor.

El Jefe
03-29-2014, 05:25 PM
I think my brother has a bottle of black. Ill try them together when I go over to raid his humidor.

I've never even seen the green for sale here. But the black ain't bad.

ready
03-29-2014, 05:34 PM
I dont think they make it anymore.

El Jefe
03-29-2014, 05:37 PM
I dont think they make it anymore.

I honestly don't know. I know Matt has had a couple bottles of the blue label and thought it might be bit over priced. I'd drink more of the black, if it were $10 cheaper. Here it runs $30 to $35 a 5th.

ready
03-29-2014, 05:47 PM
I got a bottle of blue as a graduation present once. It was good but not over $200 good.

ready
03-29-2014, 05:54 PM
http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Johnnie_Walker_Blue_Label_164631.html

Read this description. WTF does a mossy wet stone taste like?

El Jefe
03-29-2014, 05:55 PM
I got a bottle of blue as a graduation present once. It was good but not over $200 good.

Yeah, see, thats what I hear a lot about the blue label. Good, smooth scotch, but too spendy.

I just broke out Montecristo #2. First one I've had. I'm pairing it with a glass of Buffalo Trace. I didn't want to get too cute with the whiskey pairing. I'm really wanting concentrate most on the cigar.

El Jefe
03-29-2014, 05:58 PM
http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Johnnie_Walker_Blue_Label_164631.html

Read this description. WTF does a mossy wet stone taste like?

Heh. ;)

The guy that wrote it didn't know either. Whisk(e)y reviewers seem to have an arms race going over dumb things to claim a hooch tastes like.

TEN-32
03-29-2014, 06:00 PM
In my opinion the Green is the sweet spot of the Walker line. I've only had it a few times and its hard to find. I think I read that it has been discontinued.

ready
03-29-2014, 06:03 PM
Yeah it has been replaced by gold I think.

El Jefe
03-29-2014, 06:03 PM
In my opinion the Green is the sweet spot of the Walker line. I've only had it a few times and its hard to find. I think I read that it has been discontinued.

Figures.

El Jefe
03-29-2014, 06:17 PM
Yeah, see, thats what I hear a lot about the blue label. Good, smooth scotch, but too spendy.

I just broke out Montecristo #2. First one I've had. I'm pairing it with a glass of Buffalo Trace. I didn't want to get too cute with the whiskey pairing. I'm really wanting concentrate most on the cigar.

Dayum, what a great cigar.

Film at 11:00 ;)

Viking350
03-29-2014, 06:39 PM

FWIW, Wikipedia says it is still in production.

Green Label: a blended malt (a blend of only single-malts) using predominantly four malts "drawn from the four corners of Scotland"—the intent of the blend is to deliver depth, substance, and intensity. Each of the malts (Talisker, Linkwood, Cragganmore, Caol Ila, and others) is selected by the blender for balance and each malt whisky is matured for a minimum of 15 years. Green Label was expected to be discontinued as of December 2011, but production continues though it is becoming increasingly difficult to find.

El Jefe
03-29-2014, 06:43 PM
FWIW, Wikipedia says it is still in production.

Green Label: a blended malt (a blend of only single-malts) using predominantly four malts "drawn from the four corners of Scotland"—the intent of the blend is to deliver depth, substance, and intensity. Each of the malts (Talisker, Linkwood, Cragganmore, Caol Ila, and others) is selected by the blender for balance and each malt whisky is matured for a minimum of 15 years. Green Label was expected to be discontinued as of December 2011, but production continues though it is becoming increasingly difficult to find.

Nice work. :)

Viking350
03-29-2014, 06:54 PM
Nice work. :)

Thanks. I have my moments.

El Jefe
03-29-2014, 07:04 PM
Thanks. I have my moments.

You drinking or smoking tonight, Viking? It is the weekend and all. ;)

Viking350
03-29-2014, 07:07 PM
You drinking or smoking tonight, Viking? It is the weekend and all. ;)

Sipping some Beam with a splash. I never really took to the cigars. I smoke them once in a great while. I think my palate is shot.

El Jefe
03-29-2014, 07:16 PM
Sipping some Beam with a splash. I never really took to the cigars. I smoke them once in a great while. I think my palate is shot.

Gotcha. Hey, if you don't think something is worth the effort, screw it! ;)

Which Beam are you enjoying?

Viking350
03-29-2014, 07:27 PM
Gotcha. Hey, if you don't think something is worth the effort, screw it! ;)

Which Beam are you enjoying?

Just their regular bourbon. The white label.

ready
03-29-2014, 07:46 PM
What do you guys think is better. JW black or JB black?

El Jefe
03-29-2014, 08:02 PM

Decent question. I'd say which ever is cheaper. Plus, since they taste different, which profile you like best. In this price range, I'd go Buffalo Trace, or Elijah Craig, personally.

ready
03-29-2014, 08:24 PM
Yeah I realize ones a blended scotch and ones a bourbon. I need something mellow. Elijah Craig and Knob Creek are on my list to try. Never heard of Buffalo Trace but what the hell.

TEN-32
03-30-2014, 07:12 AM

I like them both but if forced to pick I'd go with the bourbon.

And Viking, that Beam White label is widely considered to be the benchmark of what bourbon is all about. Absolutely nothing wrong with that one friend. If you drink what you like, then you'll like what you drink. ;)

Durangokid
03-30-2014, 08:24 AM
Woodford Reserve "Doubled Oak". Calling Tennessee Whisky "Bourbon"??

TEN-32
03-30-2014, 10:27 AM
Woodford Reserve "Doubled Oak". Calling Tennessee Whisky "Bourbon"??

Although technically incorrect, its a common mistake. I think the main difference is the char-filtering process and possibly the corn content, although I'm not positive.

ready
03-30-2014, 01:00 PM
Anybody ever try Basil Hayden's? Supposed to be mellow and 80 proof.

Viking350
03-30-2014, 02:14 PM
I like them both but if forced to pick I'd go with the bourbon.

And Viking, that Beam White label is widely considered to be the benchmark of what bourbon is all about. Absolutely nothing wrong with that one friend. If you drink what you like, then you'll like what you drink. ;)

Wise words sir.

El Jefe
03-30-2014, 07:28 PM
Anybody ever try Basil Hayden's? Supposed to be mellow and 80 proof.

Yes, I've gone through a few jugs of it. Its dry with a bit of spice. Its the least bourbon like bourbon I've had. It is easily drinkable with a certain refinement, but pretty pricey.

Basil Haydens, Bakers and Bookers are Jim Beams top shelf offerings. Of the 3 I think the Bakers is the best. But again, all three are expensive.

ready
03-30-2014, 08:45 PM
Yeah it supposed to have alot of rye in the mash. Ill check it out if I find some. Thanks!

El Jefe
03-30-2014, 09:20 PM
Yeah it supposed to have alot of rye in the mash. Ill check it out if I find some. Thanks!

You're welcome.

El Jefe
03-30-2014, 09:26 PM
Although technically incorrect, its a common mistake. I think the main difference is the char-filtering process and possibly the corn content, although I'm not positive.

I might be confusing something here, but I think the filtration step is called the Lincoln County process.

I enjoy the Dickel whiskeys, but I can't stand Jack Daniels. I've never understood its popularity.

TEN-32
03-31-2014, 06:27 AM
Wise words sir.

Busted clock is right twice a day...I strive for half that.:lool:

TEN-32
03-31-2014, 06:34 AM
I might be confusing something here, but I think the filtration step is called the Lincoln County process.

I enjoy the Dickel whiskeys, but I can't stand Jack Daniels. I've never understood its popularity.

JD is marketing. Marketing genius, but still just hype. The Gentleman and Single barrel are good whisky, but the brand overall is an over rated one to be sure. There is a newer offering in the line. Its a tribute whisky for Frank Sinatra. Nice packaging, full liter @ 90*. If I was flush I'd let the $165 go for a bottle because I am a big Sinatra fan.

I was under their spell in my misspent youth (I'm ashamed to admit). But I was unenlightened and more interested in quantity than quality. More evidence that the old addage holds true; youth is wasted on the young.

Viking350
03-31-2014, 08:33 AM

JD is marketing. Marketing genius, but still just hype. The Gentleman and Single barrel are good whisky, but the brand overall is an over rated one to be sure. There is a newer offering in the line. Its a tribute whisky for Frank Sinatra. Nice packaging, full liter @ 90*. If I was flush I'd let the $165 go for a bottle because I am a big Sinatra fan.

I was under their spell in my misspent youth (I'm ashamed to admit). But I was unenlightened and more interested in quantity than quality. More evidence that the old addage holds true; youth is wasted on the young.

I agree about JD being way overrated. When I came of drinking age, in my ignorance I also embraced JD. As I matured and learned to think for myself, I discovered Jim Beam. I enjoy the flavors of Beam much more than JD. I might not be a good reference however, since as I said before my palate is shot. My wife will describe flavors in our food or drink that I just can't detect. It may have something to do with sense of smell since she can smell things I can't as well.

El Jefe
03-31-2014, 12:27 PM

So true.

Its funny, when I was a teen the must have whiskeys in northern Mizzou were Wild Turkey and Crown Royal.

Pat Garrett
03-31-2014, 05:50 PM
I've found that about 1/2 hour, (and three shots) after opening ANY bottle of whiskey, it really "smooths out.":eyebrows:

ready
03-31-2014, 06:11 PM
So true.

Its funny, when I was a teen the must have whiskeys in northern Mizzou were Wild Turkey and Crown Royal.

Ugh, Crown Royal. First and last time I drank that was under a train bridge with my buddy who swiped it from his old man.

El Jefe
03-31-2014, 06:51 PM
I've found that about 1/2 hour, (and three shots) after opening ANY bottle of whiskey, it really "smooths out.":eyebrows:

True.:funny-post:

El Jefe
03-31-2014, 06:52 PM
Ugh, Crown Royal. First and last time I drank that was under a train bridge with my buddy who swiped it from his old man.

I've not had any in a good while, but I used to like it.

El Jefe
03-31-2014, 10:53 PM
Back to the open bottle bit. Cowdery acknowledges that oxidation in whiskey can and does happen, he doesn't seem to think it has any sort of positive effect tho. I think he may be wrong on this one.

Pat Garrett
04-02-2014, 11:26 AM

Jack Daniels is for people who don't really like whiskey. And today it's "fashionable." Older folks here will remember 40+ years ago when that truly awful "Canadian Club" was fashionable. ( but always with Coke)

Any bartender will tell you that 95 percent of the JD he pours is "Jack and Coke." People who enjoy whiskey don't put Coke in it.

El Jefe
04-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Jack Daniels is for people who don't really like whiskey. And today it's "fashionable." Older folks here will remember 40+ years ago when that truly awful "Canadian Club" was fashionable. ( but always with Coke)

Any bartender will tell you that 95 percent of the JD he pours is "Jack and Coke." People who enjoy whiskey don't put Coke in it.

Truth!

When I was a little kid in the 60's, Canadian Club, Canadian Mist and Seagrams 7 were the whiskeys my folks and their friends kept on hand. Ugh. And they always mixed it with something. Coke, 7Up, something.

TEN-32
04-02-2014, 11:48 AM

Yup. I too remember the bottle of CC at my Grandparent's house. It was brought out on holidays...LOL as if it were some special whisky worthy only of the very best occasions. I'm too young to remember but I would have to guess that there was some marketing attached to this.

El Jefe
04-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Yup. I too remember the bottle of CC at my Grandparent's house. It was brought out on holidays...LOL as if it were some special whisky worthy only of the very best occasions. I'm too young to remember but I would have to guess that there was some marketing attached to this.

In those days you couldn't pick up a magazine without seeing adverts for Canadian whiskey. And back then people read a lot of magazines.