PDA

View Full Version : George Dickel Rye and a Fonseca #1

El Jefe
03-30-2014, 10:29 PM
Okay, I should probably say right up front that this was not one of my most successful pairings. Neither the cigar or the whiskey were bad, far from it, they just didn't compliment each other much. The rye has a bit too much spice for the creamy Fonseca. I think it would pair better with a cup of coffee or glass of tea.

http://s22.postimg.org/x8br7h6k1/monte_2_dickle_rye_fonseca_opus_x_001.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

The Dickel Rye is good, especially at its price point. IIRC this jug was $23. Its pretty smooth, has a nice combination of rye spice and sweetness. Its not the most complicated whiskey I've ever had, but it does have some decent depth.

One thing interesting about this rye is that it isn't made in Tennessee or by Dickel. Its sourced from LDI in Indiana. In fact its the same rye that Bulleit bottles, with one exception, it does receive the same chill filtered treatment that the Tennessee whiskeys get. Its offered at 90 proof.

http://s2.postimg.org/c26ikk1c9/monte_2_dickle_rye_fonseca_opus_x_004.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

And here of course is the Fonseca #1. Don't ask about the tissue paper that each cigar is adorned with because I have no idea why they do this. To my knowledge its the only Cuban brand that does it.

The Fonseca has, especially for a Cuban cigar, a very light wrapper reminiscent of a Connecticut shade leaf.

These are fairly mild, hence the poor pairing with the rye whiskey. I've only smoked the one so far so I can't really describe its taste the best just yet. I can say tho that its nice and creamy with caramel being the most prominent note. One day soon now that its finally getting to be nice weather, I think I'll sit out on the patio about mid morning and have one of these with a cup of coffee. :)

Oh and about that wrapper, here you can see the prominent veins it has. In fact the wrapper over all seemed rather course.

http://s16.postimg.org/usjrr3vol/monte_2_dickle_rye_fonseca_opus_x_010.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

But it burned well and was soundly constructed.

Well, again, this wasn't the best of pairings, but I'm not complaining too much. I'm sure my next outing will be better. ;)

ready
03-30-2014, 10:53 PM
Nice write up, Jefe. I'm gonna need a bigger beverage cart thanks to you.

L1A1Rocker
03-30-2014, 10:54 PM
Dickle changed their lable. It used to have a big number eight on it (#8). Jack Daniels is #7, and Dickle is #8.

El Jefe
03-30-2014, 11:11 PM
Dickle changed their lable. It used to have a big number eight on it (#8). Jack Daniels is #7, and Dickle is #8.

Rocker, they still make the 8 and 12 Tennessee whiskys, this is their rye. The other two remain.

El Jefe
03-30-2014, 11:12 PM
Nice write up, Jefe. I'm gonna need a bigger beverage cart thanks to you.

Thank you, but don't blame me for your weakness. ;)

L1A1Rocker
03-30-2014, 11:16 PM
Rocker, they still make the 8 and 12 Tennessee whiskys, this is their rye. The other two remain.

Ohhh, thank you for explaining that. Nice when someone actually knows the subject. Thanks again.

El Jefe
03-30-2014, 11:19 PM
Ohhh, thank you for explaining that. Nice when someone actually knows the subject. Thanks again.

No problem. :)

TEN-32
03-31-2014, 06:18 AM
Indiana whisky, whoodathunkit?!?! And if this is the same as Bulleit Rye except for charcoal filtration, I'd be interested in a side-by-side. Just what does the filtration process accomplish I wonder? I have the Bulleit and its quite nice. Knowing you recently had some, would you say this Dickel is superior in any way? Maybe something to work on...LOL.

Now is the regular Dickel still produced in TN? Its been a while but good stuff as I recall.

As to the Fonseca, I never warmed up to them. Never had a Cuban example, but they always seemed thin or shallow somehow. Lacking depth and complexity.

El Jefe
03-31-2014, 12:51 PM
Indiana whisky, whoodathunkit?!?! And if this is the same as Bulleit Rye except for charcoal filtration, I'd be interested in a side-by-side. Just what does the filtration process accomplish I wonder? I have the Bulleit and its quite nice. Knowing you recently had some, would you say this Dickel is superior in any way? Maybe something to work on...LOL.

Now is the regular Dickel still produced in TN? Its been a while but good stuff as I recall.

As to the Fonseca, I never warmed up to them. Never had a Cuban example, but they always seemed thin or shallow somehow. Lacking depth and complexity.

As I understand it, most all rye on the market thats not made by Sazerac is LDI-95. There are other producers I'm sure, but LDI makes most of whats sold in the US. The interesting thing is; LDI doesn't market any hooch under their own label. Its all sourced to other companies. They've been around for a long time and all along have made their 95-rye. Until recently most of it went into Canadian blends.

These are a few of the companies that bottle 95-rye:

Bulleit
Dickel
High West
Redemption
Willet
Templeton
Smooth Ambler
Harrison
Pepper
Filibuster

There are probably more to add.

Also of note, LDI also produces Bulleit bourbon. And since LDI and 4-Roses were both once owned by Seagrams, its believed by some, that 4-Roses and Bulleit have the same mash bill, but aging times are different.

I've added to the list above. I also read that LDI's 95-rye was at one time one of the main ingredients in Royal Crown.

El Jefe
03-31-2014, 03:18 PM
Also of note, LDI also produces Bulleit bourbon. And since LDI and 4-Roses were both once owned by Seagrams, its believed by some, that 4-Roses and Bulleit have the same mash bill, but aging times are different.

I've been digging through the archives of some known, established bourbon blogs and can't help but laugh at some of the stuff contained therein. Over the course of about 5 years one well known "whiskey expert" claimed that Bulleit bourbon was: distilled by 4-Roses, distilled by LDI, and or was a blend from both sources.:smiley_freak:

I also recently loaded a copy of Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey by Michael Veach. I've been rummaging through here and there.

Pat Garrett
03-31-2014, 04:07 PM
:boozer::boozer:We would make a good team, Jeff. you smoke the see-gar, and I'll drink the Rye!:boozer::boozer

El Jefe
03-31-2014, 06:48 PM
:boozer::boozer:We would make a good team, Jeff. you smoke the see-gar, and I'll drink the Rye!:boozer::boozer

Pat, ol buddy, get your hand out of my pocket, errr glass! ;)