PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, about that bottom shelf...

El Jefe
04-01-2014, 06:52 PM
....fess up, your favorite bottom feeder is?

I'd have to say 4-Roses Yellow Label, or Kentucky Tavern.

L1A1Rocker
04-01-2014, 07:01 PM
Even Williams for me.

El Jefe
04-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Even Williams for me.

I kinda consider EW lower mid shelf. ;)

I'd like to find a jug of Old Overholt.

TEN-32
04-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Even Williams for me.

Ditto...

El Jefe
04-02-2014, 10:54 PM
I've also been meaning to pick up a jug of Ancient Age. Hopefully the AA or the 10 star, but I'll try the entry one too.

El Jefe
05-01-2014, 11:04 AM
okay, lets go over some cheap crap and talk about what sucks and whats a bargain. I've decided that the Evan Williams BIB at $12.95 per fifth is a great value. The Old Overholt Rye is pretty decent, tho the Jim Beam rye is pretty nasty. As I said in another thread the other day; the Old Crow Reserve is utterly disgusting! For the first time I couldn't finish a pour, it was bad enough that it ended up down the drain. I'm tempted to mail this swill to someone.

:think:

TEN-32
05-01-2014, 11:10 AM
Have you ever tried Early Times?

El Jefe
05-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Have you ever tried Early Times?

Long time ago, bought it cause it was so cheap. Don't much remember it, but I would remember if it was disgusting, so...

TEN-32
05-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Its a good utility whisky. Not a bourbon, but a "Kentucky whisky". I would assume that has to do with the corn content but I don't really know. For mixed drinks its pretty decent. I keep some around to use in bbq sauces and other cooking. I think it fits the bill of a good bottom shelf bottle.

El Jefe
05-01-2014, 11:57 AM
Its a good utility whisky. Not a bourbon, but a "Kentucky whisky". I would assume that has to do with the corn content but I don't really know. For mixed drinks its pretty decent. I keep some around to use in bbq sauces and other cooking. I think it fits the bill of a good bottom shelf bottle.

I'll have to try it again, its sold everywhere here.

El Jefe
05-01-2014, 12:01 PM

Check this out:http://www.earlytimes.com/heritage/bourbon.aspx

FunkyPertwee
05-01-2014, 12:01 PM
Any tequila fans?

Agavales Gold is the best cheap stuff.

I think Svedka is best budget vodka. In SC anyways.

I used to get myself shitfaced hammered on brown liqueur and I can't hardly drink it now.

El Jefe
05-01-2014, 12:29 PM
Any tequila fans?

I used to get myself shitfaced hammered on brown liqueur and I can't hardly drink it now.

I drank quite a bit of tookillya in college, but since I only have it in the occasional margarita at a restaurant.

Never have really liked vodka, tho obviously lots of people do. In fact people turning to vodka and scotch damned near killed off the bourbon business. Now the reverse is true, bourbon is once again popular in America and is absolutely exploding in foreign markets.

CigarGuy
05-01-2014, 12:36 PM
Not sure if OGD BIB qualifies? I tend, well, I always drink neat, so there aren't a lot of bottom
shelf that are"smooth" enough for me.

El Jefe
05-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Not sure if OGD BIB qualifies? I tend, well, I always drink neat, so there aren't a lot of bottom
shelf that are"smooth" enough for me.

Oh yeah, a good "value" pour. Tho, for my money, the OGD-114 at $23 is even better value. It amazes me that a whiskey at that proof and price points is as easy to drink as it is. Its better IMO than some hooches that cost twice as much. I look for the price of OGD-114 to be going up in the near future. :(

TEN-32
05-01-2014, 01:29 PM
Check this out:http://www.earlytimes.com/heritage/bourbon.aspx
Now that you mention it...I tried the bourbon back when they brought it out. It was good. Not memorable enough to go back for more, but I recall it being decent for the money. Pretty cool history at that link that I was unaware of.

Any tequila fans?

On a very rare occasion I will order tequila. Like for example a good Mexican restaurant that has a good selection of interesting stuff. I don't keep it at the house. Also on rare occasion when we have a cookout or something, I'll buy a 750 of Sauza for margaritas. No Cuervo...ever. LOL. Heres a tip if you're mixing margaritas for ladies and they want all sorts of fruit flavored slushies instead of the proper cocktail which consists tequila, fresh lime and triple sec...rim the glass with half salt half sugar. They love it.

CigarGuy
05-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Oh yeah, a good "value" pour. Tho, for my money, the OGD-114 at $23 is even better value. It amazes me that a whiskey at that proof and price points is as easy to drink as it is. Its better IMO than some hooches that cost twice as much. I look for the price of OGD-114 to be going up in the near future. :(

I think/thought the 114 was a couple bucks more then the BIB 100? I prefer the 114, even at a couple bucks more.

El Jefe
05-01-2014, 01:33 PM
I think/thought the 114 was a couple bucks more then the BIB 100? I prefer the 114, even at a couple bucks more.

Yep. Here the BIB is like $19 a jug. whereas the 114 is $23.

raxar
05-01-2014, 03:06 PM
You mean to tell me there is a shelf besides the bottom?

El Jefe
05-01-2014, 03:22 PM
You mean to tell me there is a shelf besides the bottom?

You shut your whore mouth!!! ;)