PDA

View Full Version : What are your cigar and whiskey pet peeves?

El Jefe
04-03-2014, 08:50 PM
I have several, no really, its true;)

On whiskey: I don't like it when a bottle has no age statement.
I don't like that they don't share the mash bill on the bottle.
I don't like when they make it sound like its distilled in one location when its not.
I don't like it when a seller deceives us about the history of the whiskey/distillery.
I don't like it when a seller packages a mundane 4-6 year old whiskey in a fancy bottle and charges 3 times what its worth.

Cigars: I don't like the use of the term"Cuban seed tobacco" its a misnomer.
I don't like it when a good cigar comes out and gets tons of positive press and then you can't locate them or worse yet; the producer is forced into using inferior tobacco to keep up with demand.
I don't like limited, once a year sticks, that are usually over priced and contain as much hype as they do tobacco.

I don't like the fact that both whiskey and good cigars are both going through a massive craze these days, thereby driving up costs, causing shortages and inviting sellers to cut corners.

/rant off :)

ready
04-03-2014, 09:25 PM
I'm with you on the bottling. I'd rather my drink come in a jar with a plain paper label on it than drive up manufacturing costs with fancy packaging and expensive ad campaigns. I understand the marketing aspect of it but a good product will sell itself.

Reminds me of my Les Baer. Baers come in a nondescript cardboard box when you buy them. One of the few shops still hand making 1911's.

El Jefe
04-04-2014, 10:34 AM
I'm with you on the bottling. I'd rather my drink come in a jar with a plain paper label on it than drive up manufacturing costs with fancy packaging and expensive ad campaigns. I understand the marketing aspect of it but a good product will sell itself.

Reminds me of my Les Baer. Baers come in a nondescript cardboard box when you buy them. One of the few shops still hand making 1911's.

We see this in both markets, both whiskey and cigars, regular run of the mill stuff gets dressed up in fancy packaging and sold at premium prices. To me, thats just ripping people off because they don't know any better and by the time they figure it out, their money is already in the producers pocket.

As always: Caveat Emptor.

Pat Garrett
04-04-2014, 10:45 AM
My pet peeve is folks who put "soda pop" in good whiskey. Or even worse, fruit juice.

El Jefe
04-04-2014, 11:55 AM
My pet peeve is folks who put "soda pop" in good whiskey. Or even worse, fruit juice.

Yeah, I don't like to see good whiskey getting used for a mixer, but hey, they bought it.

mrkalashnikov
04-04-2014, 01:11 PM
My pet peeve is manufacturers putting hard spirits in plastic bottles, for chrissakes. I've been seeing more & more of this in recent years. Another related one is wine-in-a-box. Both of these are signs of the impending Apocalypse, imo. :cigarsmoking:

El Jefe
04-04-2014, 01:19 PM
My pet peeve is manufacturers putting hard spirits in plastic bottles, for chrissakes. I've been seeing more & more of this in recent years. Another related one is wine-in-a-box. Both of these are signs of the impending Apocalypse, imo. :cigarsmoking:

But, but....global warming! ;)

Yeah, all spirits plus wine and beer should be in glass.

mrkalashnikov
04-04-2014, 01:25 PM
Yeah, all spirits plus wine and beer should be in glass.

This should be a new Amendment to our Constitution! :bigsmilebounce:

El Jefe
04-04-2014, 01:53 PM
This should be a new Amendment to our Constitution! :bigsmilebounce:

Probably best we do the voting with our pocketbook. :)

Boxed wine, never could figure that one out. Ugh!

Also the only whiskey I've noticed so far in plastic is the really cheap, bottom shelf, mystery bourbon.

El Jefe
04-04-2014, 02:16 PM
Case in point involving Dickel Tennessee Whiskey:http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2007/12/whats-really-going-on-with-george.html

TEN-32
04-09-2014, 04:52 PM
I hate it when top notch hooch goes unnoticed due to run of the mill packaging and poor retail placement.:smiley20::laugh:

CigarGuy
04-09-2014, 05:03 PM
I have several, no really, its true;)

Cigars:
I don't like it when a good cigar comes out and gets tons of positive press and then you can't locate them or worse yet; the producer is forced into using inferior tobacco to keep up with demand.
I don't like limited, once a year sticks, that are usually over priced and contain as much hype as they do tobacco.

/rant off :)

You can substitute "whiskey" for "cigars" in those rants.

I don't have as much trouble with cigars, for some reason. I smoke what I can get,
and if I can get 'em off CigarBid, so much the better.
Whiskey is another story......
I have a bar that was getting me a couple "harder" to find(not hard) but they are now "backordered".
Bastards!

El Jefe
04-09-2014, 08:08 PM
You can substitute "whiskey" for "cigars" in those rants.

I don't have as much trouble with cigars, for some reason. I smoke what I can get,
and if I can get 'em off CigarBid, so much the better.
Whiskey is another story......
I have a bar that was getting me a couple "harder" to find(not hard) but they are now "backordered".
Bastards!

What were they?

CigarGuy
04-10-2014, 06:32 AM
Col EH Taylor Single Barrel(can still get the small batch) and Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.

El Jefe
04-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Col EH Taylor Single Barrel(can still get the small batch) and Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.

I would think that barrel proof Elijah Craig would be very interesting,.......... and tasty.