PDA

View Full Version : Check out this article about aging Bourbon

Viking350
04-04-2014, 09:45 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/this-could-be-big-abc-news/boats-better-tasting-whiskey-210812362.html?vp=1

Also, Jefferson, note the name of the distillery.

El Jefe
04-04-2014, 10:28 AM
Zoeller knew that distilled bourbon extracted more flavor the longer it sloshed against wood.

I don't see how he could have surmised or known this prior to him actually doing it.

Plus, and this sounds like one of those peeves I mentioned, I'm not paying $80 or more for an 8 year old bourbon. Eagle Rare-10 years-$33. Elijah Craig-12 years-$26.

I've noticed some of the old salts on the Straight Bourbon forums aren't real impressed with this particular approach either. I dunno, it just sounds to me like gimmicky corner cutting. Also, the guy doing the blind test couldn't pick it out of a two choice group. :smiley_freak:

I do appreciate the fact that the guy is thinking outside the box. There was a time when whiskey distilled in America didn't get aged in charred barrels, so innovation is sometimes a good thing. I'd rather drink aged bourbon over white dog any day. :)

Interesting article, thanks for posting it, Viking.

ready
04-04-2014, 03:22 PM
I'm gonna try aging mine in one of those paint mixers at Home Depot.

El Jefe
04-04-2014, 03:38 PM
I'm gonna try aging mine in one of those paint mixers at Home Depot.

You got a barrel? The only thing whiskey can really do in a glass bottle is oxidize. Thats my belief anyway. :)

Durangokid
04-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Tie a barrel to your bed and rent a fast young "Red Head". Oh ! I doubt 10 minutes of sloshing would do it. :yeah:

El Jefe
04-04-2014, 04:29 PM
Tie a barrel to your bed and rent a fast young "Red Head". Oh ! I doubt 10 minutes of sloshing would do it. :yeah:

:yeah:

Viking350
04-04-2014, 05:31 PM

In ten minutes I'd have to "rent" her 20 times! :dizzy:

El Jefe
04-04-2014, 05:38 PM
In ten minutes I'd have to "rent" her 20 times! :dizzy:

Yeah, ten minutes is too damn much work. ;)

El Jefe
04-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Damn, just read through a thread on Straight Bourbon concerning the new release, Ocean II. Brutal. ;)

Durangokid
04-04-2014, 10:02 PM
It is amazing the way Bourbon like the Phoenix has risen from the ashes. Bourbon was declared dead a few years ago. We now are getting the best American whisky ever made.

El Jefe
04-04-2014, 10:24 PM
It is amazing the way Bourbon like the Phoenix has risen from the ashes. Bourbon was declared dead a few years ago. We now are getting the best American whisky ever made.

Its probably the most popular its ever been. Not just here, but in Europe and Asia too. If this boom time doesn't taper off soon, theres going to be a real shortage at some point down the road. The distillers are by necessity, 4 to 12 years behind the game.

We'll see. Might not be a bad idea to bunker away ones favorites just in case.

Durangokid
04-04-2014, 10:31 PM
Never thought about that? Damn you are right. What has happened to Lagavulin Scotch? No one out here can get it. There has never been a shortage on this?

El Jefe
04-04-2014, 10:44 PM
Never thought about that? Damn you are right. What has happened to Lagavulin Scotch? No one out here can get it. There has never been a shortage on this?

Market pressure. I'm sure most large distillers have ramped up production, but again, the lag time is long.

I'll tell ya, the main whiskey that worries me, because its one of my favorites, is Elijah Craig. I love the stuff, its a staple for me. Every review I read on EC-12, is positive, thats not necessarily a good thing. Bloggers need to shut the fuck up. I don't want to see 5 years from now Elijah Craig selling for $70 a jug. We need to stop the exportation of EC-12!!!!!!

Durangokid
04-04-2014, 11:12 PM
Never tried it? I read that the 12 year old is some what "Thick" but not syrup. Which one is the best?

El Jefe
04-04-2014, 11:22 PM
Never tried it? I read that the 12 year old is some what "Thick" but not syrup. Which one is the best?

Elijah Craig has a viscous, oily mouth feel that I love. Its closest counterpart in my experience is Eagle Rare-10.

I really like a whiskey with legs that comes across as chewy.

Damn, I'm nubing an Epi-#2 and on my third glass of EC-12, Toys in the Attic is sounding awesome in the background. Life is awesome!!! ;)

Durangokid
04-04-2014, 11:28 PM
I will check it out. I just always seem to go back to Woodford Reserve. I really like the "Double Oaked".

El Jefe
04-04-2014, 11:33 PM
I will check it out. I just always seem to go back to Woodford Reserve. I really like the "Double Oaked".

Hey, Bro, thats a small distillery thats putting out quality. Here 5 or so years ago, I had their regular expression in my regular rotation.

I need to try the double oak! :)