PDA

View Full Version : Old Grand Dad 100 proof bottled in bond bourbon whiskey.

El Jefe
04-04-2014, 04:37 PM
Here of late I've really been enjoying the 114 proof Old Grand Dad, but would like to try the BIB version too, I just haven't found any yet. :(

Anyway, heres a link to a good article by Chuck Cowdery that has a fascinating tidbit at the end. The bulk of the story is about OGD-BIB, but I wouldn't have ever guess the the bit he snuck in toward the end. But, in retrospect, the evidence has been there plain as day all along:http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2009/11/retro-bourbon-you-really-must-try-old.html

:think:

Durangokid
04-04-2014, 10:24 PM
Humm? I can not imagine "OGD" being a better product? Never been one of my favorites. It reminds me of Early Times.

El Jefe
04-04-2014, 10:31 PM
Humm? I can not imagine "OGD" being a better product? Never been one of my favorites. It reminds me of Early Times.

Which one? The 86 proof is pretty pedestrian. The 114, not so much. Plus, consider that Basil Hayden's is 8 year, 80 proof Grand Dad, well, something is obviously right with it. Its Basil Hayden's likeness on the label of Old Grand Dad.:thud:

Just goes to show what proper aging and warehouse location can really do.

Personally, I'd love to try an 8 year expression of Basil Hayden's at say, 100 proof. I bet it would be great. But market pressure will probably insure that that doesn't happen any time soon. :(

Durangokid
04-04-2014, 11:33 PM
Good point. I really like the Basil Hayden.

El Jefe
04-04-2014, 11:37 PM
Good point. I really like the Basil Hayden.

So do I. I've been dreaming of a 100 proof version for a while now. :)

TEN-32
04-05-2014, 06:45 AM
I can honestly say that I have never had any OGD. It is now on my list. Thanks a lot.:biggrina:

Durangokid
04-05-2014, 09:11 AM
OGD was always around cabins and ranch houses when I was a kid. And damn, I am now an Old Gran Dad.

Pat Garrett
04-05-2014, 09:56 AM
I always liked OGD in the winter. When you come down off the mountain during elk season, chilled to the bone, it's a helluva lot better than coffee.:dizzy:

FunkyPertwee
04-05-2014, 10:05 AM
The only one who will hang out with me is my dear Old Gran Dad.

(From I Drink Alone)

El Jefe
04-05-2014, 02:57 PM
The only one who will hang out with me is my dear Old Gran Dad.

(From I Drink Alone)

Jim Beam is mentioned in that song too, but I can't remember any others.

El Jefe
04-05-2014, 03:08 PM
I can honestly say that I have never had any OGD. It is now on my list. Thanks a lot.:biggrina:

Just leave a quarter in the cup.

As is the nature of my somewhat obsessive personality, I've been researching certain brands, their origins, mash bill ECT.

Ever since I bought the first jug of Old Grand Dad 114, I've been looking into all the Olds.

Did you know: that Old Crow has the exact same mash bill and uses the same yeast as white label Jim Beam? Regular Old Crow is aged 3 years and bottled at 80 proof. But, did you realize that theres an Old Crow Reserve? Its 4 years old and offered at 86 proof. This I will have to try.

I've also found a local c-store that supposedly stocks all of the Olds. The ones I'm interested in are the Old Grand Dad BIB, Old Overholt Rye and the Old Crow Reserve. I think all of them sell for less than $15.00 If any of them are good it would represent tremendous value.

TEN-32
04-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Just leave a quarter in the cup.

As is the nature of my somewhat obsessive personality, I've been researching certain brands, their origins, mash bill ECT.

Ever since I bought the first jug of Old Grand Dad 114, I've been looking into all the Olds.

Did you know: that Old Crow has the exact same mash bill and uses the same yeast as white label Jim Beam? Regular Old Crow is aged 3 years and bottled at 80 proof. But, did you realize that theres an Old Crow Reserve? Its 4 years old and offered at 86 proof. This I will have to try.

I've also found a local c-store that supposedly stocks all of the Olds. The ones I'm interested in are the Old Grand Dad BIB, Old Overholt Rye and the Old Crow Reserve. I think all of them sell for less than $15.00 If any of them are good it would represent tremendous value.

Well, it certainly pays to be an educated consumer. Nothing wrong with doing some homework.

El Jefe
04-05-2014, 05:43 PM
Well, it certainly pays to be an educated consumer. Nothing wrong with doing some homework.

Yep, plus I kind of enjoy the hunt.

Also, there is nothing I know of more convoluted that info on bourbon or the distilleries that produce it. Its bizarre how many contradiction and false claims there are out there.

CigarGuy
04-05-2014, 05:50 PM
Good stuff, Rick. It appears you are as anal as I am?!

El Jefe
04-05-2014, 06:28 PM
Good stuff, Rick. It appears you are as anal as I am?!

Um, uh,.........uh........

El Jefe
04-05-2014, 06:30 PM
Yeah, Stan, I've always been the type that will obsess on something until I think I completely understand it. Thing is, thats not possible with whiskey IMO.

Oh well, its something to do.:)

Durangokid
04-06-2014, 12:51 AM
If I ever made my way back East again, I would visit Kentucky. I would like to take the Bourbon Trail Tour they offer. An old friend did that an was "SOOO" impressed.

El Jefe
04-06-2014, 11:20 AM
If I ever made my way back East again, I would visit Kentucky. I would like to take the Bourbon Trail Tour they offer. An old friend did that an was "SOOO" impressed.

I think it would be a blast. Plus Kentucky overall is a neat state.

Pat Garrett
04-06-2014, 05:43 PM
Old Overholt is damn good whiskey. It's cheap, but that doesn't mean it's not good.

For me, it was an acquired taste. Didn't like the first bottle all that much. But one trip up the hill, that was all that was in camp. (except, of course for that disgusting horse piss, Budweisr) Kinda grew on me. Now, I buy 3-4 bottles per year.

El Jefe
04-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Old Overholt is damn good whiskey. It's cheap, but that doesn't mean it's not good.

For me, it was an acquired taste. Didn't like the first bottle all that much. But one trip up the hill, that was all that was in camp. (except, of course for that disgusting horse piss, Budweisr) Kinda grew on me. Now, I buy 3-4 bottles per year.

Cool, I'll have to give it a whirl. I like rye and the price point is appealing.

Durangokid
04-07-2014, 11:01 AM
Jefferson, Be aware "Old Pat" is drinking at 10,000 feet of elevation. Hell even cold water will give you a "Buzz" at that altitude. :D

Pat Garrett
04-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Jefferson, Be aware "Old Pat" is drinking at 10,000 feet of elevation. Hell even cold water will give you a "Buzz" at that altitude. :D

:laugh:

El Jefe
04-07-2014, 12:32 PM
That is pretty humorous. ;)

El Jefe
04-08-2014, 01:33 AM
Another note on the Grand Dad 114, this is a big complex whiskey worthy of some study. It's now firmly ensconced in my normal rotation.

It's good hooch!

El Jefe
04-08-2014, 02:06 PM

On the way back from the eye doctor this morning I stopped in to a liquor store thats on the way.

Got a bottle of the Old Overholt Rye, and a bottle of High West Double Rye. these should be interesting to try.

mrkalashnikov
04-08-2014, 03:02 PM
Hey Rick,

can you open up some storeage space in your mailbox? I just tried sending a couple of PMs your way and got the old "Mailbox is Full" notice.

El Jefe
04-08-2014, 04:57 PM
Hey Rick,

can you open up some storeage space in your mailbox? I just tried sending a couple of PMs your way and got the old "Mailbox is Full" notice.

So you're stalking me now????

Sure. ;)

mrkalashnikov
04-08-2014, 05:03 PM
Well...I guess sure...why not? :crazy:

El Jefe
04-08-2014, 05:17 PM
Well...I guess sure...why not? :crazy:

Pervert!

Its cleared. ;)

Viking350
04-08-2014, 06:57 PM
I think it would be a blast. Plus Kentucky overall is a neat state.

My dad was born in Ashland, KY.

El Jefe
04-08-2014, 06:59 PM
My dad was born in Ashland, KY.

Cool. :)

Have you visited the state much, Viking?

Durangokid
04-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Way back in my Under-Grad days I worked driving "Big" rigs in the summer. My partner and I rolled off the Carolina coast for a back haul load in Kentucky. We put a Cummins powered Freighterliner up a dirt road in Adair County one Sunday morning.
We had to wait all day while farmers piled 44,000 pounds of beautiful cured Burly on our trailer. We were treated to some fine home made wine and food served with such hospitality. We talked about that visit all the way to the Pacific coast. I would like to return there some day. :)

El Jefe
04-08-2014, 09:47 PM
Way back in my Under-Grad days I worked driving "Big" rigs in the summer. My partner and I rolled off the Carolina coast for a back haul load in Kentucky. We put a Cummins powered Freighterliner up a dirt road in Adair County one Sunday morning.
We had to wait all day while farmers piled 44,000 pounds of beautiful cured Burly on our trailer. We were treated to some fine home made wine and food served with such hospitality. We talked about that visit all the way to the Pacific coast. I would like to return there some day. :)

Thats pretty cool. :)

Pat Garrett
04-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Thats pretty cool. :)

Ya don't need to go "Back East." Back in the 50s and 60s, one of my cousins in Eastern Colorado raised corn and barley on an irrigated half section.

A bit of it got diverted from the grain cars to the fruit jars! Nothing like good home cookin.':thumbspbig:

El Jefe
04-08-2014, 10:24 PM
Ya don't need to go "Back East." Back in the 50s and 60s, one of my cousins in Eastern Colorado raised corn and barley on an irrigated half section.

A bit of it got diverted from the grain cars to the fruit jars! Nothing like good home cookin.':thumbspbig:

Funny you say that. I'm reading a book right now on small batch home whiskey distilling. Since I've been brewing my own ale for a few years now, this doesn't sound too much more complicated.

Durangokid
04-08-2014, 11:26 PM
The Julesburg Basin may have the corn but one thing is missing. They do not have that iron free "Limestone" water. That is the deciding factor in making good whisky. Pat, have you ever read the history of whisky Gap Wyoming.
http://www.elkmountainhotel.com/majJohnCont.html

TEN-32
04-09-2014, 07:45 AM
Funny you say that. I'm reading a book right now on small batch home whiskey distilling. Since I've been brewing my own ale for a few years now, this doesn't sound too much more complicated.

This is an area I have an interest in also. I am fuzzy though on the legality.

Viking350
04-09-2014, 08:40 AM
Cool. :)

Have you visited the state much, Viking?

Unfortunately, no. My dad live in Memphis after I was born. I spent quite a few summers and Christmases there with him. The Kentucky Bourbon Trail is on my to do list.

Viking350
04-09-2014, 08:44 AM
This is an area I have an interest in also. I am fuzzy though on the legality.

Completely illegal in the states to distill your own alcohol without paying taxed and having the approved paperwork from the gov.

http://www.ttb.gov/faqs/genalcohol.shtml

TEN-32
04-09-2014, 08:50 AM
Completely illegal in the states to distill your own alcohol without paying taxed and having the approved paperwork from the gov.

http://www.ttb.gov/faqs/genalcohol.shtml

I thought there was something about an exception if it is for non-consumption. Like if its intended for use as fuel or something...not sure.

edit-ok, this info is at your link.

mrkalashnikov
04-09-2014, 09:23 AM
I've always read & heard that it's A-OK to make your own beer and wine @ home as long as you don't attempt to sell it for profit.

Hard spirits are a complete no-go though, unless you get a tax stamp from the Treasury Dept, i.e. actually set as a registered distillery.

TEN-32
04-09-2014, 09:28 AM
I've always read & heard that it's A-OK to make your own beer and wine @ home as long as you don't attempt to sell it for profit.

Hard spirits are a complete no-go though, unless you get a tax stamp from the Treasury Dept, i.e. actually set as a registered distillery.
There are videos on You Tube demonstrating distillation methods. I suppose they could have been filmed outside the U.S. or whatever, but that seems bold.

Pat Garrett
04-09-2014, 09:37 AM
The Julesburg Basin may have the corn but one thing is missing. They do not have that iron free "Limestone" water. That is the deciding factor in making good whisky. Pat, have you ever read the history of whisky Gap Wyoming.
http://www.elkmountainhotel.com/majJohnCont.html

yep. Colorado well water may not compare to the water from "Robbie Dhue Springs" but it's not half bad!:clap:

Viking350
04-09-2014, 09:44 AM
There are videos on You Tube demonstrating distillation methods. I suppose they could have been filmed outside the U.S. or whatever, but that seems bold.

Realistically, if you distilled for your own consumption and never sold it for profit, you would probably never be discovered. As for the youtube videos, I agree. I was curious a few years ago and found those there. Never ceases to amaze me how some people publicly flaunt their violations of the law. If I ever hypothetically broke a law or two, I would at least have the sense to keep it quiet.

El Jefe
04-09-2014, 11:39 AM
You can make spirits for fuel. And if you make too much and store it in an oak barrel, so what. ;)

Viking350
04-09-2014, 01:04 PM
You can make spirits for fuel. And if you make too much and store it in an oak barrel, so what. ;)

That's your story and you're sticking with it!

El Jefe
04-09-2014, 01:25 PM
That's your story and you're sticking with it!

Hell yeah!

I don't know that I'll ever actually do it, but it is a neat topic to read up on.

I just got in grain and yeast for 10 gallons of Bitters I'll want this summer. I should probably get on that tomorrow.