PDA

View Full Version : Found a retail source for the A. H. Hirsch Bourbon

El Jefe
04-05-2014, 04:18 PM
:smiley_freak: A bargain at only $1468.26

http://www.internetwines.com/rws50080.html

Great value compared to the $4000 Michter's that Matt found last year.

And the ironic thing is; this was actually made by the original Michter's that had been in business for over 200 years when the A. H. Hirsch was distilled at their facility in Pennsylvania.

This new bunch calling themselves Michter's, are just a start up outfit who have stolen the identity and the history of the older company. I wouldn't buy anything from these rip off artists if it sold for $1.00.

El Jefe
04-05-2014, 04:19 PM
I guess just listing it at $1470.00 would have seemed to expensive. :tooth:

TEN-32
04-05-2014, 07:05 PM
Someone will buy it. Maybe we should go into the whisky business.

El Jefe
04-05-2014, 07:25 PM
Someone will buy it. Maybe we should go into the whisky business.

From what I'm reading its pretty brutal. For the last hundred years or so it has been popular then falls out of favor. When its not hip to drink bourbon, the industry struggles. They can't rely on just their bedrock customers, they're simply not enough of us. The reason we have just a handful of huge companies controlling 90% of the market is because in the lean years the little guys go tits up and the big boys, who have the capitol to ride out the storm, swoop in and buy up their former competition. Plus having to sit on your product for years before you can sell it while paying taxes on it, gets expensive. The actual profit on bottom shelf and even most mid-shelf bottles, is next to nothing.

Even now, if it wasn't for growing markets over seas, and the current craze for premium offerings, things would be tight for most makers. It really is a dog eat dog world.

I think we could find an easier way to go broke. ;)

TEN-32
04-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Lets just put in a couple decades and retire...oh wait.:cigarsmoking:

I think I'll leave the whisky production to the professionals.

El Jefe
04-05-2014, 08:48 PM
Lets just put in a couple decades and retire...oh wait.:cigarsmoking:

I think I'll leave the whisky production to the professionals.

Yeah, we can just sit back and enjoy the fruit of their labor. :)

I might have to break down and have a short pour here this evening, probably need a smoke too.

TEN-32
04-05-2014, 09:16 PM
Yeah, we can just sit back and enjoy the fruit of their labor. :)

I might have to break down and have a short pour here this evening, probably need a smoke too.

Ditto.

El Jefe
04-05-2014, 09:26 PM
Ditto.

Whattcha having? I've got an Epi-2 out and am about to go see what strikes my fancy in the hooch cabinet. :)

TEN-32
04-05-2014, 09:37 PM
EW black and a bowl of Escudo navy deluxe in the Dunhill.

El Jefe
04-05-2014, 09:45 PM
EW black and a bowl of Escudo navy deluxe in the Dunhill.

Very nice. I'm going with some Angels Envy. This stuff is great, but I don't see me buying it often. $50 seems kind of steep to me.