PDA

View Full Version : Semi STG-44 Reviewed in Sept 20th ShotGun News

Ppsh41
09-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Nice write-up about the new semi Mp-44 'PTR44' by Kokalis in SGN. Inter Ordnance advertised importation 2 years ago, then bailed out on the project, PTR Inc (Precision Target Rifles )of HK clone fame imported the rifles for Recon Ordnance. Only 200 rifles were made in Germany by SSD in original 7.62 Kurtz caliber with buttstock ,grip panels, FCG, magazine fllorplate and follower made in USA for Fed Statute 922(r) parts count.

Price is $4995 with 2 magazines. My thoughts are $5000 x 200 rifles is $1,000,000. How much did it cost to set up production tooling to make a run of rifles? A company took all the time and money to make a stamped rifle from scatch and then stop production when they made 200 rifles? Do the forum members think any more will ever be made and imported at a lower cost, because the first run paid for production set up?
I'd buy one for $2000, I can't see $5000 which is a 1/3 of a cost of a NFA tube gun STG-44.

I just can't see going through all that set-up for 200 rifles and then let the machinery go idle. I know other semi-auto guns go from $350 to $5000, ( PPs43's, PPSh41, M1919's, BREN's, DP28's, RPD's, MG34's, MG42's, PKM's etc.) but most of the parts are already made surplus, some slightly modiified. The real cost is in a newly manufactured receiver. But to make a new semi MP-44 everything has to be made from scatch.

O.S.O.K.
09-26-2010, 05:07 PM
I'd love to have an STG-44 but not for that kinda rape.

ATAK, Inc.
09-26-2010, 05:20 PM
I'd love to have an STG-44 but not for that kinda rape.

+1

If it was $2k or less(preferably less), and ammo was cheaper(pipe dream), then sign me up!

But $5k? No way!

Penguin
09-26-2010, 06:05 PM
If you set up the tooling I would make as many as I could sell. Why not? That just seems dumb, especially if you are making them from scratch. I would want to get as much money as I can out of what ever it cost me to set up the tooling.

As much as some of these guns sell for you would think some one would just start building them from the ground up and, still be able to make money if you sold enough of them. Bring the price down and I bet they would sell.

In the case of the 44 I see the main hold backs to sales as being their price tag, which the more of them you make the more you think it would go down. Then the price of ammo, sell enough of them and some company is bound to notice and start making ammo for them even if in small runs. Heck for what they posibly spent on tooling get some more tooling to make the ammo for them yourself and sell the ammo to the costomers you just sold the guns too. It would probably help sales too if the owners now had a fair degree of certintiy they would be able to get ammo for their gun. The other thing I see is mags. Which if you are making the guns shouldn't be a big deal just make a bunch of mags to go with them.

ksuguy
09-26-2010, 09:40 PM
Prvi Partizan makes ammo for them. It's pricey, but still somewhat affordable.

Partisan1983
09-27-2010, 11:11 AM
The sad thing is, the STG44 is a C&R now...it should be allowed in it's original format (I'm not even gonna mention the 2A)

HDR
09-27-2010, 03:15 PM
"How much did it cost to set up production tooling to make a run of rifles? A company took all the time and money to make a stamped rifle from scatch and then stop production when they made 200 rifles?"

They will probably double their investment..

Penguin
09-27-2010, 04:30 PM
"How much did it cost to set up production tooling to make a run of rifles? A company took all the time and money to make a stamped rifle from scatch and then stop production when they made 200 rifles?"

They will probably double their investment..

They poobably will double it but, they could do better than even doubling it I think.

MJ1
09-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Stick with what I have for now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/d7eaa7c5.jpg

vit
09-27-2010, 04:49 PM

That looks tits ;)

calugo
09-27-2010, 08:20 PM
i scanned over the article but stopped reading when i saw the 5 grand price tag. nice rifle but if you're building it from scratch why not chamber it in a more popular and affordable caliber like 5.56 or 7.62???? i think eventually they will produce more than 200rifles and the 200 rifle limit is a marketing ploy to scare people into paying the 5 grand price tag. i'd love to add one to the stable but not for 5000.

Meat-Hook
09-28-2010, 01:16 AM
I agree that stopping production after producing only 200 rifles is disappointing. They should keep cranking them out and bring the price down.

I would like to see some made in the more available caliber of 7.62X39.

Uncle Scary
09-30-2010, 09:57 AM
I agree that stopping production after producing only 200 rifles is disappointing. They should keep cranking them out and bring the price down.

I would like to see some made in the more available caliber of 7.62X39.

Norinco could probably make them in 7.62X39 for about $400 each.

1 Patriot-of-many
10-01-2010, 11:17 AM

I prefer the original wood forearm.

Partisan1983
10-01-2010, 11:22 AM
I prefer the original wood forearm.

The HK43 never had a wood handguard from the factory (German).

D Day Dog
10-07-2010, 03:37 PM
There are may reasons why the PTR44 rifle is expensive. First of all, they were imported to the USA from Germany where they were made by HZA/SSD. Second, PTR, Inc. and Recon had to be refit them with the correct amount of USA parts to meet .922r compliancy. Third, the Euro is still above the dollar. Last, greed - They initially sold for $4300 and then (after only a week or so) moved up to $5000. Canada gets them from HZA/SSD - as is - and doesn't have to refit them. They sell for around $2700 sale price there right now.

People have been waiting for these to make it to the USA for the last 3+ years thru no less than 3 distributors. The first two failed, and Recon and PTR picked up the ball and ran with it. The tooling for 95% of the gun is done by HZA/SSD in Germany - who have produced a lot more than 200 guns and they sell to several other countries as well.

There have been problems with the USA guns. Feeding from the mags. is not good, some parts have failed (some of them the USA made parts) and some of the chambers may not have been reamed correctly while being produced in Germany. Most of these problems have all been fixed - warranty is 1 yr. so I shot the piss out of mine. However, the SGN article is silent on these facts and NO ONE I KNOW (and I know several people who own one) have gotten their mags. to feed flawlessly with 30 rounds like the SGN article sclaims. The GK/43forum has EXTENSIVE information from PTR44 owners on these guns going over the last year. I bought one of the first ones available and mine is an exception to the feeding problems as it runs flawlessly, with good mags. - with bad mags. I get FTF and stove pipes occasionally.

If anyone is thinking of buying one, well.... they are sold out after the SGN article hit the stand. Only way to get one is to look for one on GB, internet or private sale. No other sales are pending from Germany, but HZA/SSD is still looking for someone in the USA who can do the .922r tooling, but it is a minimum order of 200 units. So you will need some serious dough to get the order, tool up for the USA parts, pay for knowledgable persons to have the parts replaced, pay import fees, and take a chance that you won't run into any more problems with them. Cheaper than an original FA or SA conversion and it IS BRAND NEW. :)

Well worth the $4300 I paid for mine. And if no more than 200 ever reach the USA, well... they are already less of these then the originals, so I'm betting they will continue to go up in value.

D Day.

Penguin
10-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Sounds similer to the semi PKM story.

recon
10-11-2010, 10:27 AM
http://gk43forum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34