PDA

View Full Version : Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake

TEN-32
04-12-2014, 08:34 AM
Wrapping up my second bowl of this new find. I'm liking this one a lot. Probably will become a regular in the rotation and a go to pipe leaf. First of all the flavor is very smooth for a Virginia/Perique (VaPer). No bite whatsoever. Most folks seem to attribute that to the small center of black cavendish that gives this blend it's name. It imparts an elusive sweet note to the bowl and definitely smooths out the rough edges that most VaPers exhibit. I do not like cavendish blends. It is masterfully hidden here and makes only a supporting appearance in the profile. The flavor notes I get are nutty and fresh cut hay...similar to the unique Cuban Cohiba note that myself and others have observed. The perique gives the blend a spicy zing that elevates the whole affair. Last night I rubbed it out. Today I folded and stuffed 2 coins. I will rub it out moving forward. Better burn, less "tending" to the bowl.

Now the best part. Value. I paid $8 for 2oz. bulk at a local retailer. To give some perspective on that, the 2oz. fills a small Mason jar and will provide many (Well over a dozen. Maybe 2 dozen) smokes. $8 buys 1 good cigar.

The blender really hit the ten ring with this one! (sorry, couldn't resist) If you are on the fence about picking up a pipe or resuming the habit, this would be a nice place to begin.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/mrbigirish/20140412_074953_zpstkc7vrru.jpg

NAPOTS
04-12-2014, 10:02 AM
Ten-32 nice review I had a bowl of CAO Eileens Dream out of my Stanwell last night. That one is a little too heavily cased for my current tastes.

Your writeup makes me want to try this one but I honestly have no clue how to smoke it. Is the proper way to take one of those slices and just break it down and then pack it like normal?

TEN-32
04-12-2014, 10:57 AM
NAPOTS-
I tried folding and stuffing the the coins in the bowl, and I tried fully rubbing them out into what ends up looking like a ribbon cut. I recommend rubbing them out. Just take the coins between your hands and rub. Repeat until you have your desired coarseness for packing. I just do it over a piece of paper or a magazine.

I've not had the blend you mention, but in general I dislike aromatics. I've had one or two exceptions to this but they are rare.

NAPOTS
04-12-2014, 07:16 PM
NAPOTS-
I tried folding and stuffing the the coins in the bowl, and I tried fully rubbing them out into what ends up looking like a ribbon cut. I recommend rubbing them out. Just take the coins between your hands and rub. Repeat until you have your desired coarseness for packing. I just do it over a piece of paper or a magazine.

I've not had the blend you mention, but in general I dislike aromatics. I've had one or two exceptions to this but they are rare.

I have seen frog morton mentioned a few times, If I am moving away from aromatics would this possibly be something I'd like?

El Jefe
04-12-2014, 07:41 PM
I have seen frog morton mentioned a few times, If I am moving away from aromatics would this possibly be something I'd like?

Do you like latikia?

TEN-32
04-12-2014, 11:34 PM

Frog Morton is an English blend. Its good.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/768/mcclelland-frog-morton

El Jefe
04-12-2014, 11:47 PM
Frog Morton is an English blend. Its good.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/768/mcclelland-frog-morton

Yep, its been my go to pipe tobacco for years. Its good stuff, very tasty.

Durangokid
04-13-2014, 12:15 AM
Smoker Friendly has a bulk "Black" that I really like. Back in the 1970s the Canadian Style pipes were in. I miss those Canadian style pipes. Oh, well times waits on no man.

El Jefe
04-13-2014, 12:19 AM
Smoker Friendly has a bulk "Black" that I really like. Back in the 1970s the Canadian Style pipes were in. I miss those Canadian style pipes. Oh, well times waits on no man.

What exactly is a "Canadian style pipe", Durango?