PDA

View Full Version : Any rules/regulations for converting a carbine or handgun to full auto?

gunsnetadmin
09-26-2010, 09:23 PM
I take it I need a license to own a full auto ?

swampdragon
09-26-2010, 09:31 PM
I'd post this question in the Class III forum.
You'll get the best answers there.

AKTexas
09-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Say what?

gunsnetadmin
09-26-2010, 10:06 PM
If I were to convert my glock to a full auto, do i need a license for that, etc?

AKTexas
09-26-2010, 10:12 PM
If I were to convert my glock to a full auto, do i need a license for that, etc?

Well yeah and the date needs to be before May 19, 1986.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act

swampdragon
09-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Start here with this.
I'm not sure about the "converting" part however.
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will jump in.

All NFA items must be registered with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). Private owners wishing to purchase an NFA item must obtain approval from the ATF, obtain a signature from the county sheriff or city or town chief of police (not necessarily permission), pass an extensive background check to include submitting a photograph and finger prints, fully register the firearm, receive ATF written permission before moving the firearm across state lines, and pay a tax. The request to transfer ownership of an NFA item is made on an ATF Form 4.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

Blacksmith
09-26-2010, 10:28 PM

You are about 76 years too late to the party.
There was a way you could of accomplished it before 1986 with a $200.00 registration fee. but now your only option would be to become a dealer that is licensed to sell full auto arms to police departments and military.

imanaknut
09-26-2010, 11:18 PM
Yep, when ATF and a couple of criminals in congress rewrote the constitution in 1986, unless you registered your full auto that shall not be infringed, you can no longer make or buy one that wasn't registered before that date.

That is why you see phrases that I truly hate, like "Pre-may sample", "post-dealer sample", "post May sample".

And yes, Reagan signed it, but the machinegun ban was well hidden in the document and slipped in after the document was written in true democrat fashion. It was only after the document of 1986 was signed sealed and delivered did a certain anti-American democrat reveal what she and a few others pull over on us!

The only way to legally own a full auto Glock would be if the parts you used to make it were registered before May 19, 1986.

Richard Simmons
09-27-2010, 07:30 AM
I believe an 07 FFL with an 02 SOT can manufacture new NFA items including a Glock 18?

Moebrown20
09-27-2010, 07:32 AM
Okay, let's say I brought a G18 on January 3, 1986.
Would it have to be registered?

Richard Simmons
09-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Okay, let's say I brought a G18 on January 3, 1986.
Would it have to be registered?

All legal NFA purchases are "registered" so to speak since they require approval and payment of tax prior to possession and have been since the 1934 GCA. The 1986 ban means that to be "transferable" any machinegun had to be registered with BATF as a machinegun by 5/19/86. Any machinegun manufactured after 5/19/86 is still registered it's just not "transerable". In this instance I'm using the term "transferable" to mean any non-disqualified citizen of the United States. Machineguns made after 1986 can still be transfered but only between other manufactures and or LEO/Fed agencies.

Partisan1983
09-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Am I missing the joke ?

swampdragon
09-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Am I missing the joke ?

Nope.
gunsnetadmin is like a computer guru who set up this whole place for us....and did a damned fine job too.
But a gun expert, not so much...yet.
Quite honestly, I don't know too much about full-auto stuff either, as I have never been able to afford one anyways....lol.

Partisan1983
09-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Nope.
gunsnetadmin is like a computer guru who set up this whole place for us....and did a damned fine job too.
Quite honestly, I don't know too much about full-auto stuff either, as I have never been able to afford one anyways....lol.

I know who he is (handle wise). I've seen a few post's by him over the years.

I guess I always assumed he was an NFA owner (seems like everyone else is but me).

Since this is not a joke, I very sincerely apologize GNA. I was not trying to be an asshole. :the-man:

Penguin
09-27-2010, 04:42 PM
If it makes you feel any better I don't have any NFA items yet either. I would like a get a machine gun but, that is honestly out of my price range. I would like to get a can one of these days. I could probably do that if I ever develope the patince to deal with the paper work. I just don't know a whole lot about supressors. There are a couple of things that I can think of that would make great SBR projects. I just don't know where I would take the stuff to get the work done when I got the aproval.

Guns Network Staff
10-04-2010, 04:29 PM

Yea you can just make sure you have your FFL 1st and then the SOT Manufacturers license and then last make sure you have a CLEO wanting you to make a F/A Glock as he needs to fire one in order for you to convert or order him a Glock 18.

supersport
11-04-2010, 11:35 PM
If you want to own a full auto weapon you have to check what your state allows. Normal gun owners will have to get weapons registered before 1986. I own one, it is a hastle and a lot of paperwork and other BS to go through when purchasing, but it is one heck of a lot of fun running full clips at full auto. Ammo costs add up real fast if you get lost in the thrill and realize I just went through 500 rounds. Rambo never had to pay for any of his ammo.

filthy phil
11-05-2010, 07:24 AM
form your own city and police dept.
then you can have the goodies:wiggle:

Integratedj
01-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Yep, when ATF and a couple of criminals in congress rewrote the constitution in 1986, unless you registered your full auto that shall not be infringed, you can no longer make or buy one that wasn't registered before that date.

That is why you see phrases that I truly hate, like "Pre-may sample", "post-dealer sample", "post May sample".

And yes, Reagan signed it, but the machinegun ban was well hidden in the document and slipped in after the document was written in true democrat fashion. It was only after the document of 1986 was signed sealed and delivered did a certain anti-American democrat reveal what she and a few others pull over on us!

The only way to legally own a full auto Glock would be if the parts you used to make it were registered before May 19, 1986.

You know, I'd like to believe that it was well hidden and Reagan had no idea it was there, but he also signed the Mulford Act in 1967 as Governor of Kalifornistan ‘prohibiting the carrying of firearms on one's person or in a vehicle, in any public place or on any public street.’
The law was aimed at stopping the Black Panthers, but affected all gun owners.
“Twenty-four years later, Reagan was still pushing gun control. ‘I support the Brady Bill,’ he said in a March 28, 1991 speech, ‘and I urge the Congress to enact it without further delay.’"

Reagan did a lot of good economically, but he also fucked us more than once on the 2a. That's enough for me to think he wasn't all we hold him up to be.

filthy phil
01-30-2011, 07:01 AM
Nope.

when he called mags "clips" i figured thatout :)

filthy phil
01-30-2011, 07:04 AM
. There are a couple of things that I can think of that would make great SBR projects. I just don't know where I would take the stuff to get the work done when I got the aproval.

sbr or sbs you can chop it yourself, once you have your form 1 back.
got hacksaw?

abpt1
01-30-2011, 08:30 AM
sbr or sbs you can chop it yourself, once you have your form 1 back.
got hacksaw?
I think its the same with a silencer I remember a post from machinisttx who filled out all the paper work got it back and made one... another thread lost ...But IMHO it just cost too much to own cool stuff ....plus I cant imange what it cost to feed this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADDutp8vZJU&feature=related

deth502
01-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Reagan did a lot of good economically, but he also fucked us more than once on the 2a. That's enough for me to think he wasn't all we hold him up to be.

ive been saying that all along. look at all of the anti gun bills that have been passes lately, they have for the most part ALL been under the authority of a republican president. the one notable exception was teh clinton awb, and that had a 10 year life span with a sunset clause in it. the machine gun ban had no such time limit in it, nor does the barrel importation ban. or any of the other republican approved gun control laws. but its the dems that are after our guns, right??

deth502
01-30-2011, 03:15 PM
I think its the same with a silencer I remember a post from machinisttx who filled out all the paper work got it back and made one... another thread lost ...But IMHO it just cost too much to own cool stuff ....plus I cant imange what it cost to feed this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADDutp8vZJU&feature=related

l1a1 rocker has done a few supressor builds. GREAT stuff. i hope to do one......someday......

the only drawback to doing some of the nfa stuff yourself, for nfa items that have the $5 tax stamp to get transfered to you from a dealer, you need to pay the full $200 to diy. iirc, i supressor falls into the $5 tax stamp, if buying one from a dealer.

gunsnetadmin
01-31-2011, 10:42 PM
when he called mags "clips" i figured thatout :)

LOL.. yea, in all honesty..I dont really care what I call them. I carry concealed, I know which end I point at the bad guys and am a pretty good shot also. The full auto Glock was something I saw that I liked and wondered how difficult it was to obtain something like this legally. While I may not be a gun "pro", that doesnt mean I dont own a few guns. Kel-Tec SU16-C, Kel-Tec P3AT, Glock 27, fixing to pick up an AK that Cabelas has just to throw lead downfield. Guns & Cars are my hobby.