PDA

View Full Version : Any Busse owners?

Richard Simmons
04-18-2014, 05:22 PM
Thinking about picking up a TGLB. It's the same model Darrel carries on The Walking Dead. That's not the reason I want one, just a fact that is kind of neat if you are a fan of the show. My desire to own one is based on the fact that it's one hell of a knife!

http://www.bussecombat.com/team-gemini-lb/

I'd rather have a competition finish than the coating but it's not offered. Thinking about black with the orange & black G-10 scales.

Schuetzenman
04-18-2014, 06:30 PM
Yikes what a price! I just can't go over $60 bucks for a knife mentally.

Richard Simmons
04-19-2014, 08:58 AM
So no Busse owners?

Schuetzenman
04-19-2014, 01:39 PM
So no Busse owners?
It would seem so Richard. I do like how they look, but man the price stops me cold.

FunkyPertwee
04-19-2014, 02:20 PM
It doesn't do it for me.

I hate the handle designs that expose the full tang down the sides. Overall the grind, the finish, and the handle design (not materials) all remind of other cheaper blades, such as large bowies and drop points from Cold Steel or Ontario or Kabar.

I know you're a collector, and from a collecting standpoint the features don't match the price in my mind. From a utilitarian viewpoint I don't like its relatively short length and lack of forward weight.

I know you're in much much different place in your collection than I am, but right now if I were buying survival knives I'd rather spend $150-200 on two or three blades from Ontario, Cold Steel, or Kabar.

Like maybe an Ontario Kukri, Ontario Marine Raider Bowie, and a Kabar Large Heavy Bowie. That would be about $150 for all three from Amazon. Of course it wouldn't come with fancy expensive steel and handle materials.

Richard Simmons
04-19-2014, 03:13 PM
It would seem so Richard. I do like how they look, but man the price stops me cold.

Price is subjective like with most things. I carry a CRK Sebenza on a daily basis and it cost more than the Busse I'm looking at

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CRKSEB21L/chris-reeve-large-sebenza-21-s35vn-blade-titanium-handles

Kind of like with guns. You can buy a Taurus 1911 or a Colt 1911 or an Ed Brown 1911. At heart they are all 1911's but they aren't the same gun. As with any hobby/collecting you sometimes get the urge to try out some of the higher end things and see what they offer.

FunkyPertwee
04-19-2014, 03:13 PM
The Cold Steel Trailmaster comes to mind as another preferable option for a large survival knife in my tastes. The Carbon version is $125 and San Mai stainless is $250, if you like paying big bucks for the fancy steel. Its 9 1/2 inches long and 5/16 inch thick.

Richard Simmons
04-19-2014, 03:19 PM
It doesn't do it for me.

I hate the handle designs that expose the full tang down the sides. Overall the grind, the finish, and the handle design (not materials) all remind of other cheaper blades, such as large bowies and drop points from Cold Steel or Ontario or Kabar.

I know you're a collector, and from a collecting standpoint the features don't match the price in my mind. From a utilitarian viewpoint I don't like its relatively short length and lack of forward weight.

I know you're in much much different place in your collection than I am, but right now if I were buying survival knives I'd rather spend $150-200 on two or three blades from Ontario, Cold Steel, or Kabar.

Like maybe an Ontario Kukri, Ontario Marine Raider Bowie, and a Kabar Large Heavy Bowie. That would be about $150 for all three from Amazon. Of course it wouldn't come with fancy expensive steel and handle materials.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. More than a few of the Busse models don't appeal to me. I do like their Infini steel and their knives can be massive and I bet they can stand up to a lot but they aren't cheap and they aren't everyone's cup of tea. The TGLB just happens to be one I'm interested in at the moment. I've got several more Bucks on preorder so I'm not going to be ordering a Busse or much of anything else until those arrive.

snapshot762
04-19-2014, 10:20 PM
The closest thing I have to a Busse is a Swamp Rat Bandicoot, Bussekin, but not a true Busse.

Richard Simmons
04-20-2014, 04:35 PM
Nothing wrong with Bussekin. I'd love a Rodent Rucki.