PDA

View Full Version : SAR 3 Problem- Need Help!

nhglyn
09-27-2010, 09:04 AM
I have a SAR 3 in really nice condition that has started doing something that I can’t figure out. Every 10‐15 rounds I get a failure to feed. The bolt fails to properly pick up the round and rides up over the top of it, causing the jams.

I have stripped it and cleaned everything. I checked the gas hole from the barrel, cleaned the inside of the upper handguard, and even pulled the magazine springs to get a little extra upward pressure. They are all waffle mags and the problem occurs with all of them. There is no buffer installed.

I took the upper cover and recoil spring out and cycled the bolt carrier by hand. It seems to strip and chamber the round fine yet , when fired, I get these annoying jams.

Can anyone suggest anything I haven’t tried yet? I sure would like to solve the issue. All help and suggestions greatly appreciated.

AKTexas
09-27-2010, 09:15 AM
What kind of magazine are you using?The feed lips may be out of spec.

nhglyn
09-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Waffle mags (Bulgarian maybe?). I have heard that replacing followers with Robinson Arms followers might help problem. Do you know if true? Thanks.

nhglyn
09-27-2010, 09:21 AM
What kind of magazine are you using?The feed lips may be out of spec.

Are there instructions posted somewhere on how to modify feed lips as you suggest?

AKTexas
09-27-2010, 09:30 AM
Waffle mags (Bulgarian maybe?). I have heard that replacing followers with Robinson Arms followers might help problem. Do you know if true? Thanks.

Do the waffle mags have the circle 10 on the mag body?

Are there instructions posted somewhere on how to modify feed lips as you suggest?

Not sure about modifying the feed lips on the waffles.

mriddick
09-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Waffle mags in a SAR are hit or miss, do this as a test, build up the rear of the follower about about 1/8 of an inch or alittle more and see if that doesn't correct the problem.

IMO you should sell the bulgarian mags and buy wieger mags which should work without mods. Considering the prices both are selling for you shouldn't be out any money either.

Blacksmith
09-27-2010, 11:31 AM
It could be that it is not cycling far enough back to pick up the round.
Check and make sure your gas system is in good shape. the piston may be dragging?

imanaknut
09-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Is the piston welded in place or is it slightly loose? The gas piston should be loose on the bolt carrier. I have seen SAR-3s that had problems because the persons at Century who changed that deadly imported piston for an angelic US piston but instead of installing it properly, which takes a few seconds of work, they welded the piston into the carrier. Sometimes they welded them in crooked or sometimes they got it hot enough to warp, but regardless they caused the piston to drag the carrier up and over a round as you describe.

The proper piston installation is to thread it into the gas block until it just gets snug, then back it out 1/4 to 1/2 a turn and pin it in place. It was meant to be slightly floppy on the carrier.

It is also possible that you have mag issues. The SAR-3 was designed to use the German Wieger mag (Wieger is a contraction of the town of the factory they were made in, Wiesa and Germany). Many mag issues are fixed by just using the Wieger mags.

nhglyn
09-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Waffle mags do have the circle 10 on them. Meaning?

Gas system is clean.

Schuetzenman
09-27-2010, 05:57 PM

Gas system is clean.

It means it's the official Bulgarian state arsenal, the circle with 10 inside is there ordnance mark. On your SAR-3 not cyling correctly. What brand of ammo are you using? If it's 55 gr. Wolf Russian I would suggest the ammo might be the cause. Try some better brass cased ammo or 62 gr. Russian ammo other than Wolf / Tula arsenal. Wolf brand is often under powered and has much variation in power / powder. I've chronographed it and it varies a ton in speed. Your rifle might be short stroking on the recoil stroke and not going back far enough to adequately pickup the next round but still effectively eject the spent case.

Also, on the SAR-3 rifles the pistons are welded to the bolt carrier group, they should actually be free to flop around a bit to self center the piston in the gas system. I have seen pistons warp as they heat up and cause the carrier to raise up and not track true. The corrective action is to get the old piston out, put in a new US piston, pin it in place with about 1.5 turns from being tight against the carrier. This will let the piston wobble and self align. I have a SAR-3 that did just what I described and that is how I corrected it. 100% function all the time now.

AKTexas
09-27-2010, 06:25 PM

Gas system is clean.

They are real Bulgarian,some waffle mags do not have the circle 10,they can be from who knows?

blobman
09-27-2010, 06:46 PM
weigers

imanaknut
09-27-2010, 08:28 PM
weigers

"Wiegers!!!" See my post above.
:wavey:

robert
02-07-2011, 12:13 AM
if the weigers dont work check rivets on mag catch some early builds suck there