PDA

View Full Version : After youths' deaths, victims' families push for gun-safety law

Krupski
04-30-2014, 07:42 AM
The bill is named after Nicholas Naumkin, a 12-year-old boy from Saratoga Springs [New York], who was fatally shot in the head in 2010 by a friend playing with his father's handgun. The bill has support in the Democratic-led Assembly, but has yet to gain a sponsor in the Senate, which is controlled by a coalition of Democrats and Republicans.
Also expected to attend is Alexandria Bodden, sister of Michael Graham. On Jan. 14, 2013, Michael Graham, an eighth-grader from Brewster, Putnam County, fatally shot himself using one of three unregistered handguns found in his father's home.
Bodden, left, has been vocal that Graham's death could have been prevented if their father, Douglas Graham, kept his guns out of Michael's reach. Douglas Graham was sentenced to five years probation for illegally possessing the gun his son used.

The rest at the link: http://www.lohud.com/story/news/politics/politics-on-the-hudson/2014/04/29/youths-deaths-victims-families-push-gun-safety-law/8466239

Figures. Dad owns a gun, doesn't teach his kids gun safety, a tragedy results and then they want another "law".

And who thinks a guy who has unregistered handguns (illegal in NY) is going to specifically obey THIS law?

Last summer my daughter had a friend over and they were playing in the bedroom (ours, not hers). My daughter came to me and asked me to take the pistol out of the dresser so that her friend wouldn't find it.

I praised her for her excellent decision (she was 11 at the time) and I took the pistol and kept it in my belt holster until my daughter's friend went home.

A "gun law" is no substitute for education.

imanaknut
04-30-2014, 09:02 AM
Try as they might, they can't legislate intelligence and as long as there are stupid people there will be stories like this.

And it is not only the gun owner that should have kept the firearm secure, but all parents need to teach firearm safety whether they like firearms or not, whether they own firearms or not.

There, the next unenforceable law, everyone learn firearm safety. Of course we have seen how safe some firearm safety instructors are.

5.56NATO
04-30-2014, 09:17 AM
Meanwhile across America, millions of gun owners with children are punished by having their rights infinged.