PDA

View Full Version : Tight Makarov chamber

Flincher
05-06-2014, 06:51 AM
At the range yesterday, my newly aquired Makarov experienced about 6 "stovepipes" in 150 rounds ( various ammo). Upon examining the fired brass, it is clear to me the problem is a very rough and tight chamber, causing the extractor to periodically slip from the fired brass. What have you guys used to polish up chambers. I've used a Dremel with Mothers Mag or Flitz, but I need something a bit more aggressive. What say you ?? :)

l921428x
05-06-2014, 07:33 AM
what makes you think you need something more aggressive? right now I would polish and try again.

Sherman
05-06-2014, 10:42 AM
Remove the barrel from the pistol. Get a black sharpy marker and a spent case. Blacken out the case and insert in to the chamber. Pull the case straight out. Note the markings on the case. Take some 1500 or 2000 grit sand paper and polish the areas that are leaving marks on the case. Repeat until no marks are left.

Richard Simmons
05-06-2014, 11:53 AM
Google search shows possible causes for "stovepipes" as follows:

Ejector spring too stiff
Ejector dirty or poorly profiled
Recoil spring too stiff
Light ammo load
Shooter's hand follows the path of ejection
Mechanical fit slide-to-frame
Mechanical fit slide-to-barrel

Flincher
05-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Thanx for all the info. I'm going to proceed as Sherman suggested, and go from there. All the reasons as suggested by Richard Simmons have been checked and eliminated. I about sure it's the chamber. But I'll report back after next trip to the range (Saturday). Thanks all again for the replies :)