PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use electric dog fences?

Cypher
05-06-2014, 07:52 AM
I am thinking about installing a electric dog fence, the kind where you bury the wire and put a collar on your dog. Does anyone have experience with them? Do they work? My dogs are indoor dogs so we just need a way to keep them in a big backyard until we can build a privacy fence.

There is a kit on the HD site that is only $100. Are there certain specifications I should look for?

Would you trust this type of fence to keep your dog in the perimeter for 10 minutes to an hour at a time?

Hatedbysheeple
05-06-2014, 10:12 AM
When my dogs went to live with my parents I had one installed at their house, they live on 140 acres of mostly wooded land and next to a busy hard road. We mainly installed it so they wouldn't play near or on the road also so they couldn't go down to the pond and track in mud and lastly so my big dumb Shepard/heeler mix wouldn't fight the neighbors Arabian stallion every chance he got when the stallion wouldn't let himself be herded. You bury the wire, and then mark the perimeter with little flags so the dog can see his limits. Then a couple times a day for a week or so you need to walk that perimeter with the dog so he/she learns the barrier. We installed a dog door in my parents basement so the dogs can come and go as they please during the day. When my parents are home the shock collars are off and in the morning my mom puts them on before she leaves for work. My Shepard mix got out once, and was stuck out because he ran through the barrier really fast and then tried walking back in, probably a coyote, he saw me kill two when he was a pup and now he just kills them on sight. We have no other fence around the yard and we were making about a 2 acre area for them around the house so I bought a pretty nice unit and had it professionally installed, if it's just temporary get the $100 one. One thing, make sure the collars give a warning beep before they get in shock range, that way the dog will only get shocked a couple times and then it figures out to stop and back up when it hears the beeps even after the flags are gone.

Altarboy
05-06-2014, 10:12 AM
A lot of people have great luck with them. My big dumb muts didnt pay it any attention.

Paradox
05-06-2014, 10:24 AM
The only problem I had with mine was electrical storms. Seemed every time we had a bad electrical storm it would fry the motherboard on the base unit. I even made sure the base unit was grounded properly but that didn't seem to help. I did have a lot of trees around the wire so I guess that might have been funneling the lighting surge to the wire.

00RedZX-6R
05-06-2014, 02:24 PM
A guy I used to work with had one for his dog. When he would come home from work his dog would be on the outside of the electircal fence waiting to be let back in. He didn't mind the shock in order to get out, but didn't want back in bad enough to get another shock.

Cypher
05-06-2014, 03:01 PM
From what I understand the training is one of the most important parts and if they get used to blowing past the fence and absorb the shock then they know they can get out and the pain only lasts a second. I wonder if you can adjust it to keep shocking them for a minute if they go past the fence.

El Duce
05-06-2014, 03:38 PM
It didn't work for my Sheppard's. They have too much fur on their necks. Plus the shock didn't bother them that much.

l921428x
05-06-2014, 06:13 PM
had a dog show up and die on my carport a few years back. the collar and tags were all I could give back. the dog blew the fence and was hit out front.
if they stay in good, if they get out they have to get back in...........

sevlex
05-06-2014, 06:20 PM
I set one up for my lab who kept tearing thru my wood fence. The wire ran along the base and I set the sensitivity to shock him if he got within 5 feet.

Worked like a charm. I didn't even need to put the collar on him after a few months.