PDA

View Full Version : New HK G3 Drum - $230 bucks

Mark Ducati
07-12-2010, 09:45 AM
http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/catalog/g3drumattached-250.jpg

I bought one of these drums from http://www.hkparts.net

They have this new "CeraKote" finish which is very satin smooth... made by Allied Armament.

I have a PTR91, The drum fits super tight in the magwell... AA says to put some pliers in the magwell and to lightly/gently swell the sides of the magwell out... I didn't, I just inserted/reinserted several times. Some of the CeraKote wore off, but its a good fit...

BUT! I can't get the mag to seat fully to catch the mag catch... AA said that the drums may need some tweaking to get them to fit. These drums were made to fit genuine OEM HK's.... Cetme's and PTR91's will require some tweaking to get them to fit.

Just wanted to pass an FYI onto you guys... BTW, the reason they came down from $395 to $230 bucks.... I have a good friend who's been in contact with Beta-C Mag Company. Beta's getting ready to come out with a 100 round drum feed tower for the G3 soon. AA's trying to flood the market with their drum before Beta releases.

Charliebravo
07-12-2010, 11:09 AM
I think I'll stick to my $.99 20-rounders. Even if it works flawlessly, $230 is still a bit steep.

NewbieAKguy
07-14-2010, 03:35 AM
I think I'll stick to my $.99 20-rounders. Even if it works flawlessly, $230 is still a bit steep.

Ditto. There are more clones in circulation than originals so why not make sure they fit the ptr, which use original specs right? If money wasn't a factor I'd get one....along with a sturdy bipod to shoot it off of! :D

mriddick
07-14-2010, 08:01 AM
Sounds like they are saying the tower is a tad on the short side for the PTR? I don't see why they don't make it taller, my bet is they used a well used HK in back engineering the drum.

Meatball
07-29-2010, 03:52 PM

+1!

cciota
07-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Too rich for my blood. My PTR will work just fine with G3 mags. I just bought a black powder pistol and accessories for that amount.

kimberkid
08-19-2010, 07:24 AM
Ditto. There are more clones in circulation than originals so why not make sure they fit the ptr, which use original specs right? If money wasn't a factor I'd get one....along with a sturdy bipod to shoot it off of! :DEvidently they aren't up to spec ... or they would fit.

I'll wait for the Beta ... I've got the 9mm and the 223 and no complaints

00RedZX-6R
08-19-2010, 08:00 AM
I would rather have a 100 round drum for my AR-10. I keep waiting for one of those.

Schuetzenman
08-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Mark, the HK type weapons and their mags have a timing issue sometimes. Virtually every Century CETME or G3 clone had a mag well that was too deep so most mags wouldn't really latch into the mag catch. (Usually only old well worn mags would.) Mags could not insert deep enough to lock in. When I had my gun shop in NC I often tuned the mag wells for depth by filing down the bottom edge of the mag well. Shortening them about 1/2 to 1 mm usually did the trick.

In your case having a really nice PTR91 clone rifle I'd look at filing down the ledge on the magazine that butts into the bottom of themag well. It not latching in is probably due to the mag stopping the insertion depth before the mag catch notch in the mag tower gets to the catch in the rifle.

stubbicatt
10-07-2010, 07:43 AM
I'm not entirely sure that the added weight would be worth the price.

The other thing about this is a sorta peeve of mine. Used to be that things made in USA were top notch. I'm sure there is a whole lot of engineering in this item, but the magwell issue is disconcerting. Why would a manufacturer release for sale an item that doesn't fit?

I cannot speak for the rifles that other people have but my PTR accepts the standard G3 mags flawlessly. Seems there is a specific dimension for this magazine well for these rifles and the manufacturer of the drum mag ought to have access to that information, right?

I dunno.

Partisan1983
10-09-2010, 03:08 AM
First of all, there are more genuine G3/HK41/HK91/"Real" CETME's in the world than clones...........by far ;)

The PTR is (for the most point) an HK91, and that's coming from a purist like me. Yes there are many subtle differences between the two... But they are both SA versions of the real deal (sort of....the HK91 is closer than the PTR, but the magwell is not one of the differences).

Since original German HK drums are going for $1000K+........I am still intrigued, yet disappointed at the same time. I'm being reminded of the converted MG13 drums from yesteryear right now (and those were $600+)

NewbieAKguy
10-09-2010, 05:13 AM
Evidently they aren't up to spec ... or they would fit.

I'll wait for the Beta ... I've got the 9mm and the 223 and no complaints

PTR isn't up to speck? Thought they bought all the tooling, machines, and original blueprints from Portugal or wherever, which was licensed from HK?

Partisan1983
10-09-2010, 05:18 AM
PTR isn't up to speck? Thought they bought all the tooling, machines, and original blueprints from Portugal or wherever, which was licensed from HK?

He was reffering to the drums, not the PTR.

NewbieAKguy
10-10-2010, 03:31 AM
My bad :D