PDA

View Full Version : serious, no bullshit please

l921428x
05-25-2014, 11:15 PM
why do "they" say marijuana can hide/relieve/mask pain? also say it can be used for so much.
hell how do the opiates work?
what is the difference? how can one be so addictive and the other so attractive?
sorry dr ged, I can think but goddamn, I just never learned the womans art of typing
and it shows.

:shss:

Kadmos
05-26-2014, 12:14 AM
Marijuana has a few medical uses. It does ok for pain like headaches, some types of nerve pain. It also relieves nausea, and increases appetite, which is why Chemo patients like it. Obviously it's good at reducing stress (assuming you don't get mild paranoia, which is common). It's said to relieve some types of chronic pain, ongoing pains like backaches, menstrual cramps, etc. It also has some more significant medical uses, as an anti-seizure medicine, or lowering pressure inside the eye, treating Glaucoma.

The plant itself also has several uses, the stalk is where hemp comes from, a tough fiber which can make rope, cloth, and paper. Also biofuel is another use for the plant, along with seed oils.

On the downside a lot of the side effects are worse than aspirin, ok your headache is gone but your mouth is dry, your eyes are bloodshot and possibly sore, and you're of course "high", so you might not be getting a lot done that day.

Contrary to what 308 said you will not be "feeling no pain"...you may feel "good" and pain may lessen, but it's not like opiates. If someone tried to remove your appendix while you were on marijuana you would absolutely be screaming bloody murder.

I'm sure 308 wasn't thinking about that aspect, but if someone really doesn't know, I just don't want you to be misled.

As far as addictive, marijuana is not physically addictive, there will be no physical withdraws from not taking it. However it is psychologically addictive, so people will feel like they "need it", even though their body doesn't.

Opium is physically addictive, if a regular user suddenly stops withdrawal symptoms can actually be physically dangerous, the body can literally shut down.

FunkyPertwee
05-26-2014, 12:18 AM
Its not physically addictive, it helps some chronic pain, it gives you an appetite, and it makes netflix a lot more entertaining.

I'm assuming you're retired so you should probably go wherever the hipsters hang out and ask them about it. Don't buy the shitty stuff from the low lives or gang bangers.

Schuetzenman
Never heard that grass cut pain, only nausea from chemo-therapy and seizures in some people. Never smoked it, can't say from experience. I have taken Percocets (sp) Oxycodone type pain killers after oral surgery. After 2 days I quite taking them because they made me feel disconnected and weird. Went to Advils instead and frankly the pain was lessened by those better than the prescription drugs.

l921428x
You've never smoked weed? It would probably kill me now, but back in the day....I was feelin' no pain when I partook :)

that is not the question.

FunkyPertwee
05-26-2014, 12:26 AM
I am assuming you should respect your elders and come cut the grass.

I would cut your grass if you were my elder or my neighbor.

l921428x
05-26-2014, 12:38 AM
damn sumbody gotta move, let's think about it.

listen to this. to me one of the best sounds ever. be content.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljVVFKjN0Dc

rci2950
05-26-2014, 02:55 AM
LoL whats going on in here?

Krupski
05-26-2014, 03:44 AM
LoL whats going on in here?

I really like opiates.

l921428x
05-26-2014, 08:11 AM
Since when does anyone but Kadmos every actually answer a question?

let me think about it. lol

5.56NATO
05-26-2014, 09:52 AM
I suspect that aspirin or natural pain relievers would be far better at relieving pain. By natural I mean it comes from a plant and you don't have to light it on fire and deliberately inhale smoke.

Here's one fine example;
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-955-WILLOW%20BARK.aspx?activeIngredientId=955&activeIngredientName=WILLOW%20BARK

One issue with aspirin and others based on salicin is risk of kidney damage/failure over time. Also, aspirin is a synthetic salicin.

Avanarts
05-26-2014, 10:33 AM
I have been told that it would help with the pain from the neuropathy that wiped out the nerve to my deltoid muscles leaving me in chronic pain and with only partial use of my arms.

I live in a state that allows medical marijuana but since it is still outlawed at the federal (or as I say "feral") dot gov level I don't want to get involved in that aspect at this point. I figure one day thug dot gov will cross reference the list of those with a medical marijuana card with the list of known gun owners.

It pisses me off that I can get a big bottle of opioid pain killers every month but can't use a common herb to help with the chronic nerve pain.

There is a strain called "Charlottes web" that contains so little THC that it won't get one high, but has a high level of cannabidiol which helps with siezers and also, apparently, with nerve pain. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAFu-Ihwyzg Thug dot gov still won't allow it to be used in place of the much more harmful drugs pushed by the big pharm companies.

Silentkilla01
05-26-2014, 11:21 AM
Well fellas if I could keep my job and could smoke weed. I'd be rolling one right now..... Fuck the pain pills though. Already been down that road and do not care if I ever see another.

Kadmos
05-26-2014, 11:53 AM
Since when does anyone but Kadmos every actually answer a question?

Damn man, that's what I get for trying to be helpful....:poundon:

Helen Keller
05-26-2014, 12:00 PM
Opiates are very very bad. You're brain gets hooked nearly instantly.
I was on them for a time dealing with some pain issues due to a STAF infection.
If you dont ween yourself off , you'll completely understand why people do the things they do to get more.

I'm refusing next time and just buying some advil myself.

http://teens.drugabuse.gov/educators/curricula-and-lesson-plans/mind-over-matter/opiates/how-do-opiates-work

Silentkilla01
05-26-2014, 12:16 PM
Opiates are very very bad. You're brain gets hooked nearly instantly.
I was on them for a time dealing with some pain issues due to a STAF infection.
If you dont ween yourself off , you'll completely understand why people do the things they do to get more.

I'm refusing next time and just buying some advil myself.

http://teens.drugabuse.gov/educators/curricula-and-lesson-plans/mind-over-matter/opiates/how-do-opiates-work

I was on them bad for 7 years. Finally had enough and went the dr to try and find something to help me get off them. He put me on suboxone. And it literally saved my life.

l921428x
05-27-2014, 12:08 AM
I have been told that it would help with the pain from the neuropathy that wiped out the nerve to my deltoid muscles leaving me in chronic pain and with only partial use of my arms.

I live in a state that allows medical marijuana but since it is still outlawed at the federal (or as I say "feral") dot gov level I don't want to get involved in that aspect at this point. I figure one day thug dot gov will cross reference the list of those with a medical marijuana card with the list of known gun owners.

It pisses me off that I can get a big bottle of opioid pain killers every month but can't use a common herb to help with the chronic nerve pain.

There is a strain called "Charlottes web" that contains so little THC that it won't get one high, but has a high level of cannabidiol which helps with siezers and also, apparently, with nerve pain. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAFu-Ihwyzg Thug dot gov still won't allow it to be used in place of the much more harmful drugs pushed by the big pharm companies.

check again bud, your state law should trump federal law as long as you are not leaving the state. thanx that is the kind of answer I was looking for.
sorry for your pain, but I understand it.

l921428x
05-27-2014, 12:13 AM
Damn man, that's what I get for trying to be helpful....:poundon:

trying to be and being are two different things........... :thsfi_slapfight:

be well

l921428x
05-27-2014, 12:18 AM
I really like opiates.

what I am asking, I guess, is what is the difference to the chemical compound? the drug. what makes them so different?

Aggressive Perfector
05-27-2014, 01:49 AM
^Kadmos really did pretty much hit the nail on the head. Opium is the drug from which Vikoden, Codine, Percocet, Oxycontin, Methodone, and Morphine are derived, as well as Heroin. The chemistry behind it, I cannot delve into the specifics of, but the psychoactive chemical(s) in these drugs (again, all these are Opiates, which means derived from Opium) alter your brain and body function to a point where if you use the opiates often, your intoxicated state becomes your body and minds new "norm". You are now addicted, and quitting all at once really disrupts your bodily function.

THC (the psychoactive agent found in the Marijuana plant) for whatever reason just happens to kind of "fit" certain receptors in your brain and trigger euphoria, as well as hunger (munchies), without really altering how your body functions. I was a pot head, but never considered myself an addict as far as Marijuana was concerned. I smoked weed on a daily basis throughout high school starting my sophomore year. When I quit cold turkey to get employment after graduating I didn't crave it, but felt... Weird. My thought process changed pretty dramatically and I didn't feel quite like me, but nothing dramatic. No hysteria, clamminess, panic attacks, paranoia, vomiting, convulsions, or cramping that are typical of withdrawal from amphetamines, opiates, cocaine, and etcetera. That's about as good as I can explain it.

l921428x
05-27-2014, 03:17 AM
good explanation. thanks.