PDA

View Full Version : Book Review "Auschwitz"

ltorlo64
06-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Krupski recommended this book to me. I am not sure I will take his recommendations anymore. Not because the book was not good, you can't really call it good. You also can't say that I enjoyed reading it. The book is well written and tells a story that no one wants to hear, everyone would rather forget, and everyone, especially in America, needs to hear.

The book is by Dr. Miklos Nyiszli, a pathologist who was chosen by Dr. Mengele to perform autopsies on his "experiments." Dr. Nyiszli was allowed almost unfettered access to Auschwitz and was housed and worked in one of the gas chamber/crematorium complexes. As I read this book and the atrocities recorded there I wanted to put it down, but could not. I wanted to believe it could not get worse, but it somehow always did. For example, when the Jewish slaves were removing the bodies from the gas chamber to move to the crematorium they came across a young teenage girl who was somehow still alive. The slaves brought the Dr. in to treat her. As he finished stabilizing her the German officer in charge of the crematorium came in and found them. After asking what had happened and seeing the girl was expected to be fine, he walked her to the crematorium doors, the doors nearest the ovens and shot her in the head.

It astounds me that schools required students to read sexually explicit novels but this is not required to be read and discussed.

This book is out of print but I found it very easily doing a Google search. I highly recommend this book, though as I wrote earlier, you will not enjoy it. I still fill this is a story that needs to not be lost to time because if it is, it will definitely repeat itself.

Altarboy
06-08-2014, 07:43 PM
One of the reasons we homeschooled our kid was the pc crap they had him read. Your book won't be found in schools because its not about a hispanic kid who comes to America and is bullied by white kids but triumphs with his character and soccer skills.

imanaknut
06-08-2014, 07:49 PM
The truth about what one man is capable of doing to another man is beyond comprehension. Add to that there are those who will blindly follow orders because they were told to. The results, the unbelievable atrocities of Nazi Germany.

btcave
06-08-2014, 07:49 PM
Homeschool while you can. The powers that pull the strings in DC want to kill your ability to do so. They may actually succeed.

Krupski
06-08-2014, 08:13 PM
I highly recommend this book, though as I wrote earlier, you will not enjoy it. I still fill this is a story that needs to not be lost to time because if it is, it will definitely repeat itself.

Very well said.

Although America isn't a "nazi state" yet, anyone who studies nazi history (like I do) can see that we are on the same slippery slope that the Germans were on in the early 1920's.

And unless people wake up and see what's happening, we will continue to slide down that slope. And we all know what's at the bottom.

l921428x
06-08-2014, 08:13 PM
education is learning, not what you want or expect. there are only a couple of reasons you kept reading. morbid or information.
one is knowledge the other.......

imanaknut
06-08-2014, 09:35 PM
Knowledge is a dangerous thing to a government intent on total control of the people, hence the dumbing down of our education system.

ltorlo64
06-09-2014, 03:40 AM
Knowledge is a dangerous thing to a government intent on total control of the people, hence the dumbing down of our education system.

Believe it or not the author actually discusses how the Nazi education system was changed from teaching people to think critically about a subject to indoctrination in Nazi beliefs and actions. It reminded me of our public education system somewhat.

l921428x
06-09-2014, 03:45 AM
it would be expected for the .gov to take the childrens minds first.
because they will have to deal with them last.

ltorlo64
06-09-2014, 03:46 AM
education is learning, not what you want or expect. there are only a couple of reasons you kept reading. morbid or information.
one is knowledge the other.......

I can assure you it was not morbid fascination. I almost stopped reading about half way through because the book seemed to have no hope. I went to the end and read the epilogue which reminded me that he and others did survive which allowed me to finish.

l921428x
06-09-2014, 04:45 AM
good. you learned something. knowledge is powerful and useful.
it can also help you look deep into the human soul, can make you weep
with happiness, can make you weep with sorrow.

Krupski
06-09-2014, 08:03 AM
I can assure you it was not morbid fascination. I almost stopped reading about half way through because the book seemed to have no hope. I went to the end and read the epilogue which reminded me that he and others did survive which allowed me to finish.

I found it very difficult to read, and every time it began to bother me, I told myself "if he had to live it, I can survive reading it". That's how I read it.

I was amazed at the end to find out that both he and his family survived.

5.56NATO
06-09-2014, 09:05 AM

Free thinkers are less willing to do someone elses bidding.