PDA

View Full Version : Bergdahl Wasn't Only Soldier to 'Walk Off' Afghan Outposts

5.56NATO
06-09-2014, 08:01 PM
WASHINGTON - Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl left his combat outpost in Afghanistan in 2009 and fell into enemy hands for five years, but the former Taliban prisoner wasn't the only trooper to sneak out of a U.S. base in recent years, military sources told ABC News on Sunday.

"At least a dozen guys just walked off their posts" in Afghanistan since 2009 for a variety of reasons, said an experienced soldier, one of four Afghan war veterans familiar with the incidents who spoke to ABC News. The other sources estimated the number could be more than a dozen.
http://news.yahoo.com/bergdahl-wasnt-only-soldier-walk-off-afghan-outposts-161259328--abc-news-topstories.html

Richard Simmons
06-09-2014, 08:30 PM
Pretty sure the same has happened since men started fighting other men. Vietnam comes to mind first. Seems like we have some during the Korean War that actually defected.

LAGC
06-09-2014, 08:46 PM
I came across an article on news aggregator Digg.com earlier today saying that one of Bergdahl's fellow soldiers claimed that Bergdahl had left his post on multiple occasions before, but always returned to base after venturing out so long.

If that really turns out to be the case, all those early commentators calling him a deserter are going to be eating crow.

Could be that he just went out for one of his "strolls" again, but this time got kidnapped by the Haqqanis.

It will be very interesting seeing what he has to say for himself once he's finally debriefed and shipped state-side.

Richard Simmons
06-09-2014, 08:52 PM
I came across an article on news aggregator Digg.com earlier today saying that one of Bergdahl's fellow soldiers claimed that Bergdahl had left his post on multiple occasions before, but always returned to base after venturing out so long.

If that really turns out to be the case, all those early commentators calling him a deserter are going to be eating crow.

Could be that he just went out for one of his "strolls" again, but this time got kidnapped by the Haqqanis.

It will be very interesting seeing what he has to say for himself once he's finally debriefed and shipped state-side.

Or his earlier attempts to hook up with the Taliban were unsuccessful. The last time he was successful. It can go either way but don't forget his earlier emails to his parents.

LAGC
06-09-2014, 09:05 PM
Or his earlier attempts to hook up with the Taliban were unsuccessful. The last time he was successful. It can go either way but don't forget his earlier emails to his parents.

Yes, and he did supposedly ship home boxes "containing his uniform and books." Do active duty soldiers typically have only one uniform though?

I have a hard time believing he was actively searching out the Taliban. He can't be that stupid thinking he could just waltz right up and they'd embrace him with open arms.

Many of those Taliban guys only trust people they've grown up their whole life around. Outsiders were treated with utmost suspicion, presumed to be spies or informants.

I wonder if we'll ever know the full truth?

l921428x
06-09-2014, 10:08 PM
Yes, and he did supposedly ship home boxes "containing his uniform and books." Do active duty soldiers typically have only one uniform though?

I have a hard time believing he was actively searching out the Taliban. He can't be that stupid thinking he could just waltz right up and they'd embrace him with open arms.

Many of those Taliban guys only trust people they've grown up their whole life around. Outsiders were treated with utmost suspicion, presumed to be spies or informants.

I wonder if we'll ever know the full truth?

let me see if I understand.

you are an expert on the economy
constitution
energy
felonies
and now the Taliban

1 Patriot-of-many
06-09-2014, 10:17 PM

constitution
energy
felonies
and now the Taliban Don't forget man made global warming... Oh wait, it's climate change right LAGC since that panned out as well as the new ice age in the 70's from the same snake oil salesmen.

LAGC
06-09-2014, 10:25 PM

constitution
energy
felonies
and now the Taliban

Foreign policy too. ;)

NAPOTS
06-10-2014, 07:52 AM

IMHO doesnt really matter, walking off of his post is a violation of his first general order and puts the rest of the soldiers there in jeopardy.

5.56NATO
06-10-2014, 08:17 AM
He walked away from duty on his own free will, and guys died trying to find him.
The 0bamaregim couldn't lose - trading some of the more effective enemy combatants who had been captured for a deserter/traitor.

Every nite before he and Michelle drop off to sleep they turn to each other and laugh their asses off for a few minutes.

studmuffin
06-10-2014, 10:05 AM
He walked away from duty on his own free will, and guys died trying to find him.
The 0bamaregim couldn't lose - trading some of the more effective enemy combatants who had been captured for a deserter/traitor.

Every nite before he and Michelle drop off to sleep they turn to each other and laugh their asses off for a few minutes.

Which makes him a deserter. Others who have done the same are also deserters. No crow on the menue.

miketx
06-10-2014, 02:30 PM

Yeah, I been kidnapped by the tally ban and I get rescued and I ain't said a word to anybody for two weeks. Yup, that's perfectly normal.

I didn't have internet for 8 years, and yet when I get it, I come right back to this site and remember how to cut and paste, how to quote and how to post images etc.

Richard Simmons
06-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Yeah, I been kidnapped by the tally ban and I get rescued and I ain't said a word to anybody for two weeks. Yup, that's perfectly normal.

I didn't have internet for 8 years, and yet when I get it, I come right back to this site and remember how to cut and paste, how to quote and how to post images etc.

Yeah but you're a Texan. Our shit don't get all raggedy at the drop of a hat like those folks from Idaho. :wootrock:

LAGC
06-10-2014, 04:57 PM

I doubt the military is letting him talk until they get everything out of him (full debriefing). He'll make a statement eventually.

Richard Simmons
06-10-2014, 05:01 PM
I doubt the military is letting him talk until they get everything out of him (full debriefing). He'll make a statement eventually.

Kind of funny that he hasn't even spoken to his parents. IIRC I heard he didn't want to talk to them.

LAGC
06-10-2014, 05:07 PM
Kind of funny that he hasn't even spoken to his parents. IIRC I heard he didn't want to talk to them.

Really? Who said that? I thought he was still being held incommunicado at a military base in Germany and THEY weren't letting him talk to anyone.

Did someone in the military leak it out that he didn't want to talk to his parents?

After being held in a small, dark cage (total sensory deprivation) for several years after his escape attempt, he may just need some time to adjust.

Richard Simmons
06-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Really? Who said that? I thought he was still being held incommunicado at a military base in Germany and THEY weren't letting him talk to anyone.

Did someone in the military leak it out that he didn't want to talk to his parents?

After being held in a small, dark cage (total sensory deprivation) for several years after his escape attempt, he may just need some time to adjust.

Probably someone in the administration leaked it just like they did the identity of the CIA chief in Afghanistan. I believe I heard it reported on Fox News. Article has it in the title but not in the body of the article.

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-bergdahl-held-in-solitary-confinement-for-weeks-us-official-2014-08

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/sgt-bowebergdahl-refusing-to-speak-to-parents-after-five-years-in-captivity-at-the-hands-of-taliban-9517214.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10885748/Bowe-Bergdahl-refuses-to-speak-to-parents-as-details-of-his-treatment-by-Taliban-emerges.html

http://rare.us/story/bergdahl-refuses-to-speak-with-his-parents/

1 Patriot-of-many
06-10-2014, 08:25 PM
I doubt the military is letting him talk until they get everything out of him (full debriefing). He'll make a statement eventually. Probably the Obama administration is making him sign a nondisclosure agreement about being a muzzie. You know the type of gov't you like.

T2K
06-11-2014, 12:43 AM
At their interview, his parents said they hadn't spoken to him by choice. I think they are smart enough to know that, if they had, they would then be expected to answer some questions about the circumstances of his capture.

The less Bergdahl says to anyone, the better for him.

Oswald Bastable
06-11-2014, 02:38 AM

Well, we know you're that stupid.

But, be that as it may, we also know for sure that those who've never served will do all they can to denigrate those who served and those who serve with honor...right LAGC? Because that is what absolves you of any responsibility for the freedoms you both cherish and take advantage of...right?

l921428x
06-11-2014, 03:04 AM
I don't much knows if he cherishes them but he does take advantage.

LAGC
06-11-2014, 03:44 AM
So why did Bergdahl try to escape from his captors? If he was really seeking them out... why would he try to run away?